Notices
Helicopters - Full Scale Discuss full scale helicopters here

Static Electricity Charge

Old 02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static Electricity Charge

is there a shock hazard when working with hovering helis ?

Thanks,
Jackjet
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 PM
hook124

Default RE: Static Electricity Charge

Yes, yes there is. In the right conditions it can be leathal. The Ch-47D (Chinook) is capable of creating up to 20,000 volts or so. I actually have seen this first hand. The ground was not completed and the guy hooking up to the hook on my chinook got a bright BLUE surprise! Me to as well. He was fine, just got a few days off of work!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Rotorwrench

The weather conditions must right, cool and dry. I've been knocked down by a 206B hooking up a load. I'd hate to get zapped by a CH-47, that's got to hurt.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Bxcar32

That's true. In dry dust enviroments it can take as little as 2 seconds after the Ground is detached from the Helicopter to generate the 40,000 volts of static charge. I used to do sling loads for Chinooks when I was in Korea and never used a Ground. Dumb luck I guess because I never got shocked, but a friend of mine almost got squashed by a Chinook while he was trying to hook up an ISU. There is nothing like standing under a 30,000lbs helicopter as its hovering over you. There are other hazards as well. Like the fact that a Max Gross Weight aircraft generates huricane force winds. I was once hit in the face with a pebble that the rotor wash kicked up and sent my way. I can send you video of the effects of rotor wash from a Chinook in the desert if you'd like.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

They taught us in aircrew school always let the winch hit the water to discharge the static, dont go grabbing for it while its in the air.