Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Static Electricity Charge

is there a shock hazard when working with hovering helis ?

Thanks,
    Jackjet
    Jack Jet Williams
    Apple Valley,Ca

RE: Static Electricity Charge

Yes, yes there is. In the right conditions it can be leathal. The Ch-47D (Chinook) is capable of creating up to 20,000 volts or so. I actually have seen this first hand. The ground was not completed and the guy hooking up to the hook on my chinook got a bright BLUE surprise! Me to as well. He was fine, just got a few days off of work!

The weather conditions must right, cool and dry. I've been knocked down by a 206B hooking up a load. I'd hate to get zapped by a CH-47, that's got to hurt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's true. In dry dust enviroments it can take as little as 2 seconds after the Ground is detached from the Helicopter to generate the 40,000 volts of static charge. I used to do sling loads for Chinooks when I was in Korea and never used a Ground. Dumb luck I guess because I never got shocked, but a friend of mine almost got squashed by a Chinook while he was trying to hook up an ISU. There is nothing like standing under a 30,000lbs helicopter as its hovering over you. There are other hazards as well. Like the fact that a Max Gross Weight aircraft generates huricane force winds. I was once hit in the face with a pebble that the rotor wash kicked up and sent my way. I can send you video of the effects of rotor wash from a Chinook in the desert if you'd like.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They taught us in aircrew school always let the winch hit the water to discharge the static, dont go grabbing for it while its in the air.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com