Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Full Scale planes, cars, helis, boats > Helicopters - Full Scale
Reload this Page >

Have an odd request for anyone with knowledge of building model helicopters!

Community
Search
Notices
Helicopters - Full Scale Discuss full scale helicopters here

Have an odd request for anyone with knowledge of building model helicopters!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 PM
weirkd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have an odd request for anyone with knowledge of building model helicopters!

Hi All!
Im actually not a hobby flyer or enthusiast! Im a cake artist on a mission! I know, sounds crazy! But Im trying to make a grooms cake for my nephews wedding. He is a helicopter mechanic for the Navy and is taking flying lessons to become a pilot for the Lifestar. I really want him to be wowed by the cake so I would like to make a cake that has moving propellars! Does anyone have any idea what kind of parts I would need to accomplish this?It would have to have the motor hidden either under the cake or under a stand so it wouldnt show. And it would have to be run by battery since the venue will not have a way for me to plug it in.
My brother who is a hobby builder of boats and things said that it could be done. He mentioned that I would need a longer part than normal to attach the propellar on.
If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it! His wedding is in two weeks so I want to get this part of it all set!

Thanks guys!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Superconductor

Default RE: Have an odd request for anyone with knowledge of building model helicopters!

Hi .. How to actually do that would depend on the parts you had available or could get hold of.
The least you would need is a small DC motor a long shaft a propellor (or) rotor and some small collets to hold it together.

Mounted in a base or stand under the cake..
A quick mooch around your local hobby store might get you the bits.

An easier solution might be to make a cake in the style of a Helipad and decorate it with a small model helicopter  ala .. Picoo Z

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picoo_Z

You could probably get one for aroud $10 or so.

All the best to your nephew on his big day.

Dave ..2E0IUI
Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
weirkd

Default RE: Have an odd request for anyone with knowledge of building model helicopters!

Thanks so much for your help Dave!
Ive tried so many places online and online help but when I say its for a cake people act like Im either crazy or its a joke! I guess not many people watch Food Network to see whats being done with cakes these days!!! lol
We used to have a hobby shop locally but since have gone out of business.I wasnt sure if a place like Ben Franklin's or Michaels crafts would have something like this. Their about the only thing "locally" (45 minutes away!) around. We do however have a Radio Shack in town. Do you think they would carry something like this?
Thanks again for your help!

Kim
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Superconductor

We havn't had a Radio Shack here in the UK since Tandy closed in the mid 80' but Maplin a UK version of Radio Shack has these in stock .

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=helicopter

Do a search for picooZ on google and you should find many local vendors.

I have shopped online from many stores and recieved goods the next day.

If you really want to go the whole nine .. put a Blade mSR on the pad .. http://www.amazon.com/BLADE-EFLH3000.../dp/B002IVFOC8

That would be really impressive! .

P.S. I love cakes .. All the best dude .. Ihope you join our hobby .. All flyers need food .. All chefs need a hobby?

Dave.