Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Heli-Max Novus CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Heli-Max Novus CP

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Fat Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli-Max Novus CP

When I first start to fly on a fully charged battery everything works very smoth, and all the sudden the tail starts rotating hard to the right and full left on the stick won't correct it. Didn't have any problems with the first 10 flights and then this problem started, Not sure how to fix it. Almost like the gyro is cutting off. Any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 AM
RDalston

Default RE: Heli-Max Novus CP

The battery will degrade quickly if over discharged. Try a new battery and don't fly till the heli won't fly.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a similar problem with mine. I had to lower the collective till it was almost non existant. With the stock motor the heli apparently has too much current draw and will barely fly. When it does get into the air within 30 seconds there isn't enough amps to power the tail and the main rotor slows down till it almost stops. Once I let up on it for a couple of seconds the thing regains strength and is off to repeat the process. I am hopeing the Helimax brushless conversion will solve the problem. I have 5 different batteries for it so I doubt if that is my problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Tail motor is going out.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Fat Daddy

I', using 3 batteries and having the same problem. Ordered new tail motor and that fixed the problem, 10 flights later same problem again!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Bonified Wingnut

I did the Helimax Brushless conversion. Now it flys like it should have to begin with. The stock Novus CP was a dissapointmnt.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Fat Daddy

Sent my back for a refund. Don't have much good to say about the stock unit![&o]
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Bonified Wingnut

I'm stubborn Fat Daddy. At least I got the Novus CP for only $109 so after getting the brushless setup it cost about what it sold for originally. Shoulda went with the 125.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
klick84

is there anyway to ugrade my novus cp to a novus cp125??? i must have the tourqe driven tail but i dont want to buy a whole new heli!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Big Red*

yes there is! the rx is able to handel a tail servo, you need to get the 125 main frame, which is about 7 bucks, the tail boom should work still, then you will need to get the whole little tail assembly, and the fins plus the tail servo(which is like 20 bucks!) the torque tube, the little gears, a push rod, and you dont have to but i'd recomend it, a tail boom support, which will require you to upgrade the skids.. all together it would cost about 50 bucks.. i cant decide if i wanna do that or just get a brushless tail conversion kit for about 30 bucks
Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Big Red*

hey bonified wingnut.. when you say you did the brushless conversion.. was that just a brushless main motor convert.. or did you convert the tail motor to brushless also?? i have the brushless main motor, with a brand new tail motor.. only 2 flights on the new tail, and the stupid thing will not for the life of me cancel out the torque of the main motor and just spins voilently outta control.. im debating if a brushless tail is a good investment, or if i should just upgrade to a torque tube.. i just want it to fly which by the way, i can do.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Bonified Wingnut

I changed the tail also...from what I remember I tried it with the original tail and the brushless main and it would not hold it at all. The original 400mah batteries from Great Planes or whever they get them from are not very good either. I have one from Common Sense RC that seems to be better. I have like 5 of the original batteries and their current start to fall off after about 30 seconds. Hold your heli up and give it full throttle/collective and see if it starts to kill the battery. Once you do the switch you need to adjust the throttle pitch settings in the TX which is a bit of a pain. Sorry it took so long but yes...change the tail to brushless it should be fine. Mine holds pretty decent but I haven't had much time with it due to the crappy Michigan weather and my heli skills leave much room for learning. But just to make sure I wasn't blowin smoke I grabbed it and took it outside with a couple batteries. I am surprised at how it handled the wind...especially in my hands. And of course after about 20 seconds with the red battery the heli started getting lower and lower. The other one had plenty of power. If you need anything else just ask. I hope this helped.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Big Red*

ya this really helped thanks.. im glad to know that its not my fault that the tail cant keep up with the main motor.. ha, i made the mistake already of buying a 5 pack of those little red battery's, although, i haven't noticed any major loss after some little flight time.. although ive never held it up more then 10secs.. but, im still thinkin i might spend the extra 20 bucks and upgrade to a torque tube.. ive had issues with these electric tails since my first ever heli.. a torque tube would be alot more reliable, plus it might give a little longer flight time with no tail to power.. even though, its pulling more off the main.. well there is the added wait also.. i dont know, i guess ill find out!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Well if you decide to go with the driven tail let me know how it works out and maybe a parts list. I might go that way just because I don't like the 2 motor idea.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Big Red*

hey so i have a list of every part you'll need
-tail shaft set
-tail holder frame
-stabilizer set (fins)
-tail blade holders
-skids
-main frame
-canopy (optional)
-tail boom
-tail gear holder
-tail struts (fin supports)
-tail blade rocker
-tail blades
-tail steering shaft
-main gear
-tail driven shaf (torque tube)
-push rod
-tail servo
-servo holder
-there's also a bearing set, that im not really sure if you need it or not

all these parts can be found at http://www.hobby-wing.com/walkera-4g6-spare-parts.html which so far has been the cheapest place.. and it still comes up to bout 70 bucks! which is alot more than what i had originally thought.. another thing is these are all walkera 4G6 parts, 125 parts are alot more expensive.. but they are the exact same parts aside from the decal, so they'll still work
i found this other website.. www.helicanada.com they have 90% of these parts.. there still a good deal cheaper then hobby-wing, but they have all their parts mixed up with v120d02 parts.. it just seems a little scketchy.. im gonna keep lookin into it and try and find something more affordable
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Big Red*

oh and if your curious, the stock reciever can handle a tail servo.. the novus cp, and the cp125 both use the exact same reciever
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Bonified Wingnut

$70 and you still have the crappy Novus CP transmitter. I don't think this heli is worth it.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Big Red*

ya i agree.. but im stingy, only paid 80 bucks for my current set up, i cant give up, ive looked forward to having a micro 6ch heli for to long.. im half way debating at this point to save up the money, bout 150 bucks, i could completly upgrade to the v120d02 (w/ the 3 axis gyro/reciever) which ive only heard good things about .. ha, but in doing that, the only thing that'd be left of the novus would be the servo's and the transmitter (which i find to be pretty descent actually) its all a headache.. i hate electric tails [:@] but im still fascinated with micro 6ch, and will fly one!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Bonified Wingnut

The brushless tail will get you flying. I would go that way and decide later on further upgrades.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Big Red*

ok, i'll do it, your right.. besides, right now the goal is to fly.. not peformance.. im glad i got this figured out.. for now, ha.. thanks alot though!