Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

1SQ Quad with a TX610 Radio problem

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

1SQ Quad with a TX610 Radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
JoeMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1SQ Quad with a TX610 Radio problem

Hi all,

I recently sold the AXE 100 CPthat came with the TX610 radio and still have the radio. I am attempting to use it with the 1SQQuad Copter and running into a problem with the Lift Settings. The Quad will sit still when I have the Radio at 100% Lift and I cannot figure out how to switch the settings so it will start to lift from 0%. I have the radio in Heli mode and just cannot figure out if there is a way to switch the lift. I figured that these would be compatible together and will also ask Heli Max support.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM
mejmea

Default RE: 1SQ Quad with a TX610 Radio problem

It sounds like you need to reverse your throttle channel. I don't have that radio but the online manual talks about reversing on Page 7. I'll be curious to know if that works for you.

P.S. If you do it with the heli "live" (not recommended) make sure you are hanging onto it!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
JoeMaxx

I composed an email to Heli Max because what you said should have worked and I tried it before posting out here.

I will post what support says once I hear back from them.

Thanks for your suggestion
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM
JoeMaxx

The support guys at Heli Max said I was reversing the wrong channel and needed to reverse channel 3

On Page 8 in the instruction book for the TX610 they sort of tell you in the Curves section Channel 3 is the Throttle Channel when they say 5 point throttle curve is channel 3. I reversed it and was able to hover a bit.

I have a lot to learn about Helicopters Since the 1SQQuad is a level one flyer I should be able to learn how to fly it fairly quickly. Than maybe one day learn how to fly my other 2 Elite Blade CPand CX Helicopters. I do admit I am pretty much a novice when it comes to these.

Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

I was following this discussion, and I'm glad to see that you got to the bottom of this. Once you master your quad, things should be much easier for you. Assuming your quad is a 4 ch, I don't think you'll have any real adjustment to go from that to the CX.  The CP will be a challenge, but you'll at least come in with a solid foundation  Have fun flying!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM
mejmea

I'm glad you got it working! My brother is getting a Tx610 and wants to use it with a 1SQ so this is helpful information, thanks. The 1SQ is a good little heli and there are things you can do with it to affect how challenging it is to fly so it can be a good learning tool. A couple of thoughts although you may know this stuff already (in which case my apologies and just skip it):

- If you set the gyro gain low, like maybe 30-40% or lower (see page 11 in the manual and ignore the stuff about heading hold vs. non heading hold since that doesn't apply to the 1SQ) the 1SQ will be fairly docile. This doesn't mean that it won't get going fast if you let it, but it means it won't be quite as squirrely to begin with. (It also means that it won't stop as fast too so don't let it get going in the first place unless you have some room). Please note that since I don't have a Tx610 I'm guessing to some extent. If you find that it's really sensitive at 30-40, try either reversing the gain channel (if possible) or else setting the gain to 60-70% instead.

- As your confidence and skils increase you can turn the gain up. Once you get to 75+% it is pretty sensitive and that, along with high control rates will allow you do try flips. I suggest that at that point you try your first ones over a soft surface and up high, just saying..... again note that I am assuming that with the 1SQ and the Tx610 that gains closer to zero = more docile.

- Speaking of control rates, see page 8 in the manual. The explanation there seems a bit confusing to me but the bottom line is that the switch labeled D/R on your radio can be used to switch between two different levels of control sensitivity. This is different than the gyro gain but has somewhat of a similar effect. On an airplane it would mean that the control surfaces move less when on low rates and more when on high rate. Lower numbers will mean less sensitive controls and higher numbers will mean more sensitive controls. Assuming that this Tx works similar to others, you might try a low rate of around 50- 60% for elevator and aileron and a high rate of 80-90% for starters and leave the rudder at 90-100% for both high and low rates.

- Expo(nential) can also be your friend (again, see page 8 in the manual, there are some good graphs there) because it helps decrease the sensitivity of the controls around neutral. With a heli you are spending a lot of time making very small nudges/bumps around neutral (unless you are flying 3D) and so decreasing the sensitivity there can be helpful. In your case I believe you would want to use a negative expo number. If you use a positive number it will do the opposite and make the controls more sensitive around neutral. Note, just for future reference, that for other radios like Spektrum the sign of the expo is switched (i.e. for a Spektrum radio positive expo tames things down and negative expo makes things more sensitive.) For starters you might try expo of between negative 15 and negative 20.

Note that all of the above are a matter of preference and interact with each other so if it doesn't feel right don't be afraid to play around and try different settings to see what effect they have (perhaps move in small increments) because they can really change the way the aircraft feels and therefore change how successful you feel!

If you can hover the 1SQ I don't think you'll have any problems with the Blade CX. The CP will be considerably more challenging and practice on a simulator would be very helpful if you have one. There are a number of good heli-specific resources available including www.helifreak.com and www.rchelicopterfun.com among others that you might find interesting and/or helpful. There is also a good 1SQ thread here in case it is helpful.

Good luck. I'm no hotshot pilot but am happy to help if I can so feel free ask questions.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
JoeMaxx

Very appreciated more information and I am new to Helicopters.I bought my first one 6 years ago and could not fly it the CP so I bought the CX in the hopes that counter rotating blades would be easier to learn. I do have a buddy at work that can help me out with the CX and get the motors in sync. Isold him the AXE 100CP for the cost of the 1SQ. Long story short I got the AXE 100 CPwith the TX610 as a gift.He got a $150 buck Helicopter for half price

Now theBladesboth sit almost brand new in the box it camein for storage. Then I saw the1SQ and they said any idiot "me" could fly it so I figured I would start at a Level oneQuadCopter.

Been an On Road and Off Road guy for many years and can tell you how to set them up but this Helicopter stuff is all new to me. Glad I can at least hover with the 10 minutes I played this evening now need to learn how to not hit stuff in my living room. Good advice from the video I saw was drop to 0% throttle if you think your going to hit something LOL

Thanks guys !!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
mejmea

ORIGINAL: JoeMaxx

Very appreciated more information and I am new to Helicopters.I bought my first one 6 years ago and could not fly it the CP so I bought the CX in the hopes that counter rotating blades would be easier to learn. I do have a buddy at work that can help me out with the CX and get the motors in sync. Isold him the AXE 100CP for the cost of the 1SQ. Long story short I got the AXE 100 CPwith the TX610 as a gift.He got a $150 buck Helicopter for half price

Now theBladesboth sit almost brand new in the box it camein for storage. Then I saw the1SQ and they said any idiot "me" could fly it so I figured I would start at a Level oneQuadCopter.

Been an On Road and Off Road guy for many years and can tell you how to set them up but this Helicopter stuff is all new to me. Glad I can at least hover with the 10 minutes I played this evening now need to learn how to not hit stuff in my living room. Good advice from the video I saw was drop to 0% throttle if you think your going to hit something LOL

Thanks guys !!!!

You definitely want to cut the throttle if you know you are going to crash. However, for heli flying it is best NOT to get in the habit of doing it by simply chopping the throttle. Here's why:

When you start flying a collective pitch helicopter the throttle stick will control not only throttle but also the collective pitch. In general, 0 pitch will be at mid stick, positive pitch will be when the stick is above 50% and negative pitch will be when the stick is below 50%. You have to have negative pitch to be able to force yourself down in wind and so that you can fly inverted. When you go to fly inverted, you will set a flat throttle curve so that the RPMs are basically constant (i.e. even though the pitch will change with the throttle stick, the rpm will not). This is so that when you flip upside down and have to pull the throttle stick below 50% to get negative pitch so you can stay in the air, you aren't at the same time lowering the rpm. If you are flying around with this constant rpm throttle curve, lose control and pull the throttle stick all the way down you will go into negative pitch and simply drive the heli right into the ground with the rotor still spinning full speed and will experience what is known as the "chicken dance".

A helicopter radio like the Tx610 has a "Throttle hold" switch (see page 11 of the manual). In one position that switch sets the throttle to 0 no matter what (assuming you have it set properly) and in the other position it lets things operate as normal. Thus it acts as a safety (always have it in the "hold" or zero throttle position when you power up your heli or after you land to make sure that the blades don't start spinning by surprise) and, if you are about to crash you flip the switch which will kill the motor but not pile drive the heli into the ground. Even though the 1SQ and CX are not collective pitch helis, and thus you can get away with simply chopping the throttle, I would encourage you to instead form the habit of using the throttle hold switch because then you won't have to retrain yourself in the future.

I don't own one but I understand that the Blade CP can be a bit of a challenge to fly. When you get to the point of wanting to try a collective pitch heli, you might actually find that borrowing back the Axe 100 you sold to your buddy would be an easier learning path. While it is generally true that larger helis have inherently more stability than small ones, it is also true that heli technology has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 6 years and so the 3 axis gyro system on the Axe may well make it more stable than the flybarred Blade CP. I could be wrong, and I don't mean that to discourage you from using the CP, but just a thought.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
JoeMaxx

Thanks for the additional information. I am always grateful when someone takes the time to explain stuff. I attempt to go into this type of detail when I explain stuff about Off Road R/Cs and provide instructionsdown to how to remove parts and put them back in.

Was out on another forum not long ago where the moderators allowed conversations to go viral. Constant attacks from the other members and they allowed it I think for their own entertainment. Had one dude follow me over here and start stuff again. You guys are great

Wish the LHS would have steered me towards an easier to fly Heli back than and I may never learn to fly the CP because I found it very difficult to handle as you said. Even with the training balls I found it difficult to fly and they are next to impossible to fly outdoors even on a calm day so I have read.

I have been getting better at hovering with the Quad and have been able to perform some slow Pirouettes. I have only ran it for 6 battery charges and getting used to the controls. Find that copters are very responsive to slight movements which is a huge difference from running R/Cs in dirt. I have to retrain myself just by switching from the Dirt to the Air.

I have considered getting Great Planes Real Flight to learn in a simulator. They now have a Heli Mode 2 version in the 6.5 Simulator which has 47 different Copters. I will have to do a little more research before I purchase it because it does not come with an Interlink cable for Heli Max radios but may be compatible with the E-Flite CP 6 channel controller I have. Just watched the video for it.

Does the interlink cable plug into the Training port?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
mejmea

Sounds like you are making good progress! As long as you think of using tiny control "bumps" rather than big, held in, stick movements you will do well. If one bump isn't enough you simply do another.

I used Phoenix Flight sim rather than Real Flight but I believe they pretty much all plug in to the trainer port on the radio. Phoenix is marketed by Horizon. There is a fellow in England who makes a wireless solution for either one if you don't like the cable trailing from computer to radio. www.modelguard.com/simstream.html

I wouldn't throw the CP out but, as we've discussed, it might not be the easiest one to learn on either. I had kind of the same experience when starting with airplanes where the first recommendation I got from the LHS wasn't really the best choice....

Check this link for a method of practice that might pay off with the CP. It involves a lot of patience because you don't even think about trying to get off of the ground for a lot of batteries but therefore you also don't break things!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
JoeMaxx

I never get rid any of my R/Cs I still have some dating back to 1989 and they still work My first 2 offroads were a Tamiya Grasshopper and the Original Team Sport RC10T3 from 1992. I take them out every once in awhile to see if they still work and to my surprise they do.

I have to get new Blades for my CP and another repairon the fragile connector going to the bladesbefore I attempt to fly it again. I still have the training balls that I can attach to my CX when I am ready to fly it again.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM
mejmea

I never get rid any of my R/Cs I still have some dating back to 1989 and they still work My first 2 offroads were a Tamiya Grasshopper and the Original Team Sport RC10T3 from 1992. I take them out every once in awhile to see if they still work and to my surprise they do.
Very cool - oldies but goodies! It's probably interesting to see how much (or little) the technology has changed with time too.

I have to get new Blades for my CP and another repairon the fragile connector going to the bladesbefore I attempt to fly it again. I still have the training balls that I can attach to my CX when I am ready to fly it again.
If the CX is working properly, it should be very stable (more than the 1SQ) and you might not need the training balls, particularly if you can hover and manuever the 1SQ!

Thanks for taking the time to assist me.
Of course. No one knows it all (certainly not me) but between all of us we can come close.