Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

axe cp thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:53 PM
sammy64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: axe cp thread

RollingBall, Here are some setting that i use with the AXE CP .. Thought i just gave some for the MX also .. I have both Heli's to .. theses settings should get ya Airborne

D/R +100% For all
Expo +25 for all
EPA 100 for all
N-TH 0/79/80/100/100
N-PI 29/57/70/90100
SWSH
A +67
E -67
P -37
3-S
They are in order with the TX and the menu
Old 04-21-2007, 07:20 PM
r/cheliman

I would like to take back all of my previous statements. Just flew it, worked fine. This little forker is a pain in the balls. One minute I am frustrated beond belief, the next I am filled with joy from a successful flight. Man what a change in emotion.

My theory of why my heli wasn't flying good is temp. I now this sounds stupid because there are some of you flying in areas where it is over 70 all year round. But when I tried to fly this morning after repairing the main shaft, the heli would bairly get off the ground and the tail would not respond to trim and the heli would wabbe back and forth. I treid flying three separate times so there wasn't any radio interfeirence. It was around 85 and there was no wind.

When I just Flew a few minutes ago it was around 70 with just enough wind to move a peice of paper. It flew rock solid in a hover. I didn't make any changes in the trim of the radio or 3-1 board between these flites.

If tis theory is true than the electronics are pretty bad in this heli. This thoery probly isn't true, but it my only explination right now for what is going on with my heli.

Also when I was flying this morning the motors, reciever, and E-Board were all heating up to a point that I have not seen before today.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:24 PM
rollingball

Yes you did for the 450. When you did your basic setup did you have the stick halfway and have 0 pitch?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:02 PM
skycarven

r/cheliman, does your center cap wobble around a bit more than it did before the crash? My accident was very minor and wasn't a hard hit at all. But, I noticed that the center cap was wobbling more than it was before. I might try to put it back together and see if it flys okay. I will let you know. Thanks for all of your help. Oh, when I was running it up and had the main gear at eye level, it actually looked like the main gear was wobbling. Like I said, I will put it back together and report back. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
sammy64

no
Old 04-21-2007, 08:55 PM
r/cheliman

Yeah the main gear and te center cap where wabbling. But it was like that since I bought it. It hasn't reaaly caused a problm in flight. Just would cause the whole heli to vibrate when spooling up or down when it is sitting on the ground. Yesterday the heli started to wabble in the air so I thought it was caused by a more severe bend in the shaft. I tried to pull the main shaft out today with no success. It would not come loose from the gear, so I ended up cuttling the shaft right above the gear and tapped it out on my work bench. With the new shaft the gear still wabbles, i think because it has a bend in it, but the center hub is dead center on spool up and wabbles slightly in the spool down. It is also more stabble in the air.

Skycarven if the heli doesn't really have any major flight problems I wouldn't struggle with trying to get it out. It is so tight in the gear it is retarted. I wouldn't have even bothered if I knew uit was going to be a pain in the ball. I etched it up so much with the pliers that I had o change it.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 PM
brickisred

Hey skycarven,
did you check out your feathering shaft? I had a few run ins with the ground yesterday which scuffed up my blades and broke a blade grip. I pulled my feathering shaft and it was bent. LHS didn't have one, so I bent it back straight as best I could and put a new blade grip on. After some blade tracking adjustment and fooling around with extra flybar weights, I was able to get my center cap rotating fairly straight again.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
StrykerIncognito

Wooooooooooooo.........

First GREAT day of the year outside!

Kept it in the air, but let it get a bit too far away from me... so, I did eventually end up bringing it down a little hard, snapped a ball link off a blade grip.. no worse for wear.

Just had to get the bird out, ya know???

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95900.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	669699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89292.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	669700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13797.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	669701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78537.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	669702  
Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 AM
skycarven

I haven't checking the fleathering shaft. I will do that before I put it together. I was thinking about replacing the main shaft and the gear. I noticed, when I finally gave up, that there is a hair line crack in the gear going from where the bolt goes through gear and shaft, up to the top of the gear. Thanks for the help. I hope to get this bad boy in the air soon. I bought a 1000 mah lipo and I want to try it out! Happy flying!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 AM
skycarven

Okay, I got the main shaft out. I just had to give it a little more force than I thought would be necessary. Anyways, the funny thing is, is that I checked the feathering spindle, main shaft and the main gear and they all seem to be fine. If they are bent, is by an amount that is hardly noticable. I am going to put it back together and see what she does. I will let you know what happens!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Pascoplf

Need a Little help !!
I am a new Heli flyer and love it in spite of a constant problem with my Axe Cp. From day one out of the box the bird wants to fall off to the left as I add power. Even with full right trim I have to add stick to be level enough to lift. All the settings are correct, swash plate level ,not seperated. Control arms correct length and servos set to middle for hook up. I have tried adding weight to the right side with no effect. The bird is a challenge to my wallet but I am not going to give up. All and any advice to cure this is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
r/cheliman

I'm selling. Fed up with it not flying. I have like 350 invested in this *****h and honestly I don't feel its worth it. Its been fun while it lasted but I want my money back now. Between the constant crashed, repairs and adjustments I am not seeing the fun in it anymore. I'm going to put it on ebay for 250 with a lipo and charger and just cut my losses and run.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Rotor13B

Sounds like you need more sim time. Even if you went with a different heli I don't think your problems would go away. Helis require lots of practice and when you think you've got it, Practice some more. If your not using a flight sim or at least have multiple batteries, Your learning curve is going to be alot steeper from limited flying time. Get on a sim and practice practice practice!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
r/cheliman

I have been using realflight 3.5 for thew last four months. Under the right conditions I can keep it in a rock solid hover with under three inches of movement. But it seems if it to cold the servo don't respond, or if it to hot the heli wabbles from updrafts off the hot ground. If I take it outside at night, even with a pretty good breeze I can hold it in a really good hover for te life of the battery, about ten minutes. I just don't think it is worth 300 to get one flight in a day, if I'm lucky 3 days a week. Rather have just the sim, compromise some reality for less frustration and money. And in the sim I can fly inverted for a good 2 minutes, I feel inverted flight will never happen for anyone with this heli. That video of it flying inverted in the training video can not be with stock electronics because it seens people are having a little difficulty with forward flight without a hh gyro.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Rotor13B

Well, I've seen video of a pretty much stock Axe go inverted and it flew very well. This guy was flying it inverted at will and it never once looked like it was going to get in trouble. He did have a HH gyro intstalled and hs-55's but everthing else stock.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
alienteabagger

wasnt there a video somewhere on here of a kid flying his Axe inverted and then grabbing out of the air (by the skids of course)? That was one awesome video!
R/C Heliman.... Sounds like you have some electronic issues, temps should not affect it the way it does yours. I would give Helimax a call and see what they have to say about it. They might ship you a new board.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Gamemaker

a Axe with some hop ups

gy240 gyro
cnc blade grips
cnc swashplate
CF Main Blades
CF horizontal fin
Thunder Power 1320mah 11.1v 3s
ESC's: ElectriFly C-12 and C-35
servos: Hitec HS-55 x3

Slight mod on battery area and moter heat sink
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79713.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	670610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39724.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	670611  
Old 04-23-2007, 12:00 PM
markind

r/cheliman, I feel your pain and I cannot argue the wisdom of your decision. This hobby is pretty stupid, if you listen to my wife

The deal is, every time you go up you potentially gamble your entire model. You ante up the whole thing, and the only return is a few micrograms of endorphines which tingle the pleasure centers of the brain.

Whoopie do. Can't argue pulling the plug is a bad idea.

That being said, on to MY RAD FLIGHT REPORT!!! WOOO HOOOOOoooo!!!

I got out to work extra early this morning because it was dead calm outside.

I flew out a pack in the parking lot of a nearby vacant building. Started out slow - spun up gradually and hopped a bit to make sure the Gy240 was enabled. It takes a couple hops before it kicks in.

NO TRAINING GEAR!

I hovered around a bit, then went into some easy left and right patterns. The moves I have been grinding on the sim endlessly.

Then, it got squirrely and I lost control! Dang I hate when that happens. She came at me and I had to boost throttle to avoid getting my head Axe'd.

She flew over me - and right into the bright sun!! I was totally blind for almost 4 seconds! Dang!!

I felt the panic well up and was chanting 'blinded by the sun, blinded by the sun"!

I kept my thumbs locked on the sticks and added throttle - I was thinking that some altitude could mean the difference between recovery and disaster.

When my vision finally returned, she was flying smoothly (thanks Gy240!) out of the parking lot, OVER the fence (thanks to some throttle, she did not crash into the fence!), about 70 feet away from me. Yep - she got that far away THAT fast! Things happen so fast with these small helis. Altitude was about 20 feet.

Whew!! That was all I needed! I pulled into a nice coordinated diving turn (thanks Realflight!) and ZOOMED back into my parking lot. I recovered my nerve, gave a nice flare and eased off the throttle, and came in for a nice landing. Shaken but not stirred!

I chilled out a bit and flew out the rest of the pack. I've got the ability to fly around, but man, do I need practice. I can do it, but it sure looks like a newbie is at the controls. All my landings were controlled and feather-light, at least. No more training gear!

As I finished up, I noticed blade tracking had drifted off a bit - back to the lab bench.

Yep, FF is risky, but you gotta get into it somehow, some way, some when! Its too much of a rush to pass up! It was so cool watching the Axe glide by me smoothly and in control - we were "in the zone" for sure.

~m
Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

That's too funny. I had the same type of flight last Friday. I was taken her outside for a calm day flight. I'm standing north of where I was flying the heli in the morning. Flying low right to left, I pulled back on the cyclic and the heli climbed nose high right into the sun. By the time I could see it again it was headed behind me and I had to turn around and concentrate on missing the building. Next thing I know its headed for some trees and light poles. Then there's a yell "you're doin' pretty good!" Great. Somebody's gonna watch me bury this thing in the parking lot. Well, got her back under control tail-in and brought it back to me and landed softly. Had to wait for the adrenalin shakes to let up before I flew out the rest of the battery.

Need more practice outdoors against a bright sky. The Axe seems to turn into a dark sillouette and its difficult to maintain orientation.

Blue skies and calm days.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

if you do the heading lock gyro mod, does it bypass the one on the 3-in-1? or do they both work together (I'm confused on this)
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Rotor13B

If you go the Helimax mod route then yes, Your bypassing the stock one completely. If you install one without the esc mod though, You might have to add a little gain from the stock gyro for tail signal purposes.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 PM
chaseman81

Good story Markind. Almost got Axed. lol that's funny ... Now! Glad to hear you recovered and no one got hurt. Sorry to see R/C heliman go. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I think the sim is good for learning to save your bird in a bad sitituation. But it gives you false confidence in your own ability. Why learn to fly inverted on the sim, if you arn't even close to FF for real. Wouldn't be better to practice FF first on the sim. But that gets boring, so you go for stuff you hope to one day do with your heli, forgetting why you are using the sim in the first place. Practice is ok, but perfect practice is much better. I don't use a sim. I have tried it at the LHS and find it not to be REAL at all. ( mostly prospective) then Pushing a button to fix my heli after i caused a stupid crash, by not taking it slow, because it's just a sim.

one question: Does your As* get tight when you are flying a sim? Do your hands shake? Does your wife get pissed, cause you arn't spending money at the LHS? The answer is NO!!

Like I said not real. Everytime I think about flying my Axe I get excited, I have been flying (hovering ) inside about 2 months and a little outside lately. A little FF nothing major but all with no training gear after the first few days. I have crashed 3 times so far idle up once, dumb thumbs once and the wind once. ( button doesn't work) had to repair mine myself. Good learning, my Axe is all stock but for the batt. 11.1v 1320Mah.

Learn to be happy with what you can do with your Axe and Happy when you have flown it and brought home a great story and no damage to the heli.

Good Luck Everybody.

Chaseman81
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Rotor13B

If your refering to the Axe in Realflight it's because it has heading hold on by default. If you go into the heli setting you can turn down the gain which basicly turns HH off and yes it's pretty close to the real thing.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

I've been hearing all this "go sim" stuff for a while, and I'd like to throw out my experience....

I did the CP friday night for about 6 hrs, boy did I suck!! woke up saturday, tried again, guess what.... I SUCKED WORSE... I decided screw it, I'd try it anyway in real life... went outside, put the bird up and where I wanted it and kept it there (in the breeze) for the entire battery... I then wiped the sweat from my brow and tried it again... with the same success...

that simulator seems to me to be harder than the real thing, partly because of the perspective I think... but I'm going to keep at it, I figure if it seems harder on the computer, it'll be a walk in the park when it comes to the real deal!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
chaseman81

Maybe if you you pay $25 to $50 everytime you crash real flight, then maybe it's close. But there is no pucker factor in real flight, just push the button and try it again. Real Flight is as close to pretending as you can get. Otherwise you guys with Real Flight would all be Real Pros by now. With the real Axe. Unfortunetly That's not the real case. RAD's will get you flying if you use it with the real axe. No question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.