Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

axe cp thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: axe cp thread

Well I crashed my Blade CP Pro today. It looks like I am back to flying the AXE. I really prefer the Blade though. For some reason I stoped having problems with the AXE's elecrtonics. I must of just been getting radio interference the other day.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
rainydays

Ok, it worked yesturday but not today, hmmm. It wont lift at all like theires more downforce being created and the tail is doing that wagging thing I've heard about. I had the servo rods in the first hole last night and it lifted. Wonder whats different. Any ideas? The speed I was giving it should have sent it off to the moon.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
sgt jake

Did you check your Idle-Up switch?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
rainydays

Yeah I checked the switch. Never have used the ither mode. Also noticed servos, the rear initialize diagonaly upwords. How is this fixed if thats the problem.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Gamemaker

well have had the Axe cp for about 3 months but just got a T-rex 450SE New v2 in today and will have to say good bye so long over priced parts and fixed pitch tail hello freedom.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90971.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	675588  
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Heliko

Rainy, check to see if your swashplate is seperating. It may only be slight, but that could cause your loss of lift.
Your swashplate should be level with the stick in the neutral position.
Your linkage lengths are listed on page 11 of the manual.
Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 PM
SchoooBaka

ORIGINAL: Gamemaker

well have had the Axe cp for about 3 months but just got a T-rex 450SE New v2 in today and will have to say good bye so long over priced parts and fixed pitch tail hello freedom.
I was at a hobby shop over the hill today exchanging some wrong parts I bought for the shuttle 30 for another DN power lipo. The guy behind the counter handed me the pack, then he says "you sure you don't want this one" as he pulls out this monster pack; it was about the size of half a brick.
"Don't think it'll fit" I said. "What the heck does that thing fit anyways?"
T-Rex 600. It's equivalent to a .30 size heli.
At 200 clams just for the battery, I said "I'll stick with my shuttle .30".
Not bashing or anything. I was just looking for something to play with around the yard when I bought the Axe.
Good luck with the T-rex; It's definitly a step up in performance.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM
alienteabagger

DAMN THE WIND!!!!
So I go outside yesterday and its pretty breezy. Spool up and then the wind kicks up and guess what the heli did? Shot up off the ground like somebody kicked it!!! WHOAZ!! Had I known a headwind would have done this I would have just stayed indoors!! But hey. it makes for really interesting ( read: scary ) flying. Seems like flying into wind creates more lift for less headspeed. HOWEVER the Heli becomes jumpier than a cat in a dog pound!! The only time the heli was truly stable was while in ground effect...... go figure hahahha!!

At any rate, I installed a set of OE main blades and Im alot more confident in my flying so I know I wont trash these. I have yet to seriously sit down with a SIM (even though I have FMS) and get any decent stick time. Markind has inspired me with his crazy flight stories to just go out and fly.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 AM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

man alien!! I exercised common sense yesterday, got home from work, there was a good breeze, I made the decision to leave the heli parked for the night, ran my rc bike for a while then went in and booted the simulator... the evening sucked as far as flying goes, but I'm not having to make a parts run either...

actually, I found that I do pretty decent if I can keep the nose right into the wind, if it gets out of shape I'm pretty much screwed and it's a wild ride to the ground
Old 05-01-2007, 09:13 AM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: Gamemaker

Nice new toy! That is the exact heli I was holding in my hand over the weekend. Even with the great prices at my LHS, I was still looking at $1,000 with Heli, gryo, servos, radio and extra battery. I had everything layed out on the counter to purchase. I then came to my senses and decide to wait until my skills improve to a point where I can justify spending a grand on a heli. I will eventually be getting one. Probably by the end of the year. Right now I am content learning on something cheap and paying for over priced parts. I know how upset I get right now when I crash my Axe.

I just can't imagine how I would feel the first time I plowed a $1,000 heli setup into the ground.[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Anyway, I flew out three full packs last night. I am getting my left right circuits down pretty good. The hardest part right now is keeping a consistant altitude.

What is next after left and right circuits? Do I attempt to go with figure eights or start with a circle? I am pretty good at hovering nose in but the prospect of nose in forward flight is pretty intimidating!! Any adivce would be very helpfull.

What ever you fly have fun!!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
StrykerIncognito

Well, I'd have to say that I'm probably one of the few lately that had bit it because of the wind.

I was up at a family's house this weekend, they have 20+ acres, and I was buzzing my axe around the front yard. There was a breeze, and I was learning to fight it hard and win, with a few scary moments here and there. However... after a LiPo and a half, I was lifting it off from bewteen a few trees, and backing it towards me a bit, and out of nowhere I can only assume now that a strong breeze came by and caught the tail, and whipped it sideways.... couldn't get the tail around in time,,, tried to recenter.. orientation LoSt...... WHAMMO! (You know, I've never seen soo many parts fly off my Axe in one impact before today. [X(] )

I'm hoping this is the last humbling moment I have for a while as I save up money to rebuild the head assembly, nearly all of it, and a new tailboom & swashplate to boot...; thankfully I had just placed an order for a spare swash a few days eariler... and Night Blades (LED-equipped Lipo loaded CF Main Rotor blades) for a little illuminating practice at night. I've begun to notice now that I put more and more money into the bird that I'm beginning to treat it with more respect... with 100$ blades on that head soon I can see myself NOT being too greedy about pushing my skills.... must....stop....wasting...money...wallet...getting ....dry.

A Tower-ing we go, a Tower-ing we go... Hi ho...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79025.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	675919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22538.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	675920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51234.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	675921  
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
rainydays

Ok so the rear servo arms arent level after initializing and my swash plate isnt even. Noticed it a few days ago and has gotten worse but had no idea this would effect the heli from flying. The center around the ball bearing is about 2 mm abouve the portion serounding it. is this fixable. i cant push it back in so Im guessing I'll need to take this apart. Also why has this happened. i havent had any crashes out side of a blade hitting some futiture without any damage to the blade. Hope I dont need to buy parts.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: rainydays

The center around the ball bearing is about 2 mm abouve the portion serounding it. is this fixable.

are you talking the bushing inside the swashplate? the one that rides on the shaft? if you disconnect your motor and then move the sticks, you will see that this needs to have the ability to move up and down on the shaft...

you need to power the heli up and the radio, get that swashplate level and also the servo arms... if you have one arm on the left that's say "_____" this long, and one on the right that's "_____________" this long, then when you actuate these servos to be mixed and work in conjuction with each other, the servo on the left will move the swash, but the one on the right is going to move it a different amount and not in the same direction as the left... this is because they leveled... when leveled (arms and swash) it would stand to reason that everything will move the same amount allowing your heli to act better... make any sense? hope it helps anyhow...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
s_mcflurry

@StrykerIncognito: OMG! *cringe* That pains me to see that. It kills me when a ball ends snap off - I don't know what I'd do if my tail boom zig zagged liked that. At that point, I'd probably be entirely calm and just buy another one. Breeze scares me as well. I'd like to take it out practice my hovers but I'm still too much of a novice for that. I just moved my servo links back to their factory holes. I'll see if I can handle it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
alienteabagger

Ouch that must have been one helluva crash!!!

That tail boom can be fixed though. Put it on a flat surface and slowly roll it straight. Looking at the pics noticed you still have your training gear. I chucked mine after only a few flights. Those big balls hangin out in the rotorwash interfere too much with the downwash and cause the heli to handle funny (at least in my case).

As for flying in the wind, I have found that pointing the nose into the wind helps me out big time. The only unexpected behaviours are sudden LARGE changes in altitude (which it does anyway on its own on a smaller scale). It has gotten sideways on me a few times but so far I've been able to whip the tail back to where it needs to be.

Flying in tiny spaces does have its' advantages you know
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
thestratcat

it must've taken a lot of talent to bend that tail boom like that, wow!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
r/cheliman

Dammm How did that happen. You hit the ground sidways or something.I hit the ground at about fourty dergrees and bent the tail boom slightly but did not break anything else. Looks like you destroyed the whole rotor head and completely messed up the tail boom. Good luck fixing that one.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
BoysToys

Stryker- Very nice carnage! It looks like it was your tail was the victim of a wicked blade strike. I must say that I bent my tail pretty bad once like that. You should still be able to save it. I used a [link=http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00941752000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Screwdrivers&BV_SessionID=@@@@0064014263.1178062389@@@@&BV_EngineID=cckdaddkkmmhklkcefecemldffidflk.0]Long #2 16 inch Craftsman Phillips screwdriver[/link], that I randomly happened to have, to straighten mine back out. I placed the tip of the screwdriver in the end of the tail boom, put the srewdriver on the ground, and jammed to boom down onto it until the screwdriver shaft came out the other end. The boom ended up being straight enough to reuse and it also popped out most of the large dent from the blade strike Not a real scientific way to straighten it and it is by no means perfect but I can now reuse that tail if I need to. Later, I bought a complete tail assembly, boom, motor, rotor, stabalizer, motor wire, ect off ebay for $30 becuase you can never have too many spare parts lying around. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM
StrykerIncognito

ORIGINAL: r/cheliman

Dammm How did that happen. You hit the ground sidways or something.I hit the ground at about fourty dergrees and bent the tail boom slightly but did not break anything else. Looks like you destroyed the whole rotor head and completely messed up the tail boom. Good luck fixing that one.

Yeah, By the time it hit the ground she was basically nose in, she came down diagonaly on her left, boom first. It toasted the boom, flybar, Main Head shaft/post, slide block, a blade grip, both main blades (brand new from that day), and seperated the bearing collars in the swash. Probably bent the main shaft and feathering spindle too, haven't really gone through the effort yet to check. also nicked the paddles too.

I already had a boom, paddles, head post, grips, main motor shaft, and spare feathering spindle ready, but no block or flybar... and I had a swash on order so I was basically set. The LHS noted that they've been going through SIXES of almost every Axe CP head-part on a bi-weekly basis. I asked them how many Axe's they've sold since I bought mine about 2-3 months ago, and they said a couple dozen or so!!! They just got the RealFlight Sim station in for demo, I bet people are going to stop buying parts soon and just buy that and play for a while...

Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Rotor13B

It should all just snap back together. This is why you aren't getting enough pitch, The blade strike you spoke of earlier will do this as it's just pressed together. You can get replacement bearings for the swash if it's damaged though. It does take a little bit force to push everything back together, Post a pic and someone can give you a more definate answer. hth's
Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
r/cheliman

I have to add that if I walked into my house with my heli looking like that, I would never be allowed to fly again.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
ravenyzf-r6

Hello everyone. Noob here. I was thinking of getting a receiver to use in the axe with me jr 10x. Can I get by with a five channel? Or do I need a six channel. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Johnny_Zero

Does the JR 10X do CCPM mixing? I can't remember.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 PM
s_mcflurry

I've read through a bunch of threads and am coming up with different answers about LiPo batteries. From what I can tell, I need the following for a LiPo upgrade:

Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 910mAh 3S 15C Discharge Deans (GPMP0815)
Deans Ultra to Micro Deans adapter (GPMM3127)
Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger (GPMM3010)
Hobbico 12 Volt Power Supply w/5 Volt Tap (HCAP0250)

I know this can be swapped with different brands and what not, but the bare bones seems to be:
1) battery
2) charger
3) power supply

Lessee...some questions...is there a such thing as a charger with a built-in power supply? Is 3-cell better than 2-cell? What's this I hear about a balancer? Is a balancer required? If not, when would a balancer be useful?

Sorry for asking a question that's out there many times over, I just can't seem to find the right answer. Thanks for any help. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Johnny_Zero

I can't really answer all your questions but here goes. I own everything that you have listed except the power supply. And it all works very well with an AXE or a Blade CP Pro. The charger takes about 1 hour or a little more to charge that battery. I have an old 12volt power supply from Radio Shack rated at 2.5 amps, and it works great. You should get about 10 minute flight time with that battery.

There are chargers that will work with both AC power and DC power. I think they start around $100.00. My friend has one but I can't remember the manufacturer. I can find out for you though. I have flown with him and it is a good charger (no balancer though).

I am kind of new to lipo's though, so I would also be interested to what anybody can add to this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.