Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

AXE CP Battery Problem?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

AXE CP Battery Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Nitroedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXE CP Battery Problem?

Hi all,

I recently purchased the AXE CP and seem to be having some real "lack of power" issues with the stock battery.

I charged it once while assembling the helicopter, light went from red to green on the included charger in roughly 1 hour.

I then let the battery sit overnight as I didn't fly that night because of the weather.

So 2 days later I decide to try and fly but there was so little power (ie. juice). So I charged the battery again, the light went from red to green after about 1 hour again.

I then install the battery and when I give it quite a bit of throttle, the heli barely gets "light" and ready to go airborne.
As a test I even flicked the idle switch and it gave the heli some power but still it can barely get off the ground.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I have a bad battery? Shouldn't these batteries be slow-charged overnight at all to get it to charge full peak?

I didn't change any of the default electronic settings either.

Any help would be great and thanks!!!

Brandon

Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
COPO

Default RE: AXE CP Battery Problem?

ORIGINAL: Nitroedge

Hi all,

I recently purchased the AXE CP and seem to be having some real "lack of power" issues with the stock battery.

I charged it once while assembling the helicopter, light went from red to green on the included charger in roughly 1 hour.

I then let the battery sit overnight as I didn't fly that night because of the weather.

So 2 days later I decide to try and fly but there was so little power (ie. juice). So I charged the battery again, the light went from red to green after about 1 hour again.

I then install the battery and when I give it quite a bit of throttle, the heli barely gets "light" and ready to go airborne.
As a test I even flicked the idle switch and it gave the heli some power but still it can barely get off the ground.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I have a bad battery? Shouldn't these batteries be slow-charged overnight at all to get it to charge full peak?

Brandon

I Have had several NiMH packs that wouldn't take very much charge for my R/C vehicles. Sometimes I had to charge them 3 or 4 times to get it up to full charge even when new. It has to do with a false voltage peak being detected by the charger. When it hits this peak it shuts off. Very possible your pack does not have the charge it should. NiMH are funny batteries. Some packs I have had work great and others not so great. all identical packs from the same company. Best suggestion I could come up with..
Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Nitroedge

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, I'll keep charging it over and over for a bit

Do you think I could actually charge it with my Duratrax Piranha charger?

Is there another after market battery you could recommend I buy?

Cheers!

Brandon
Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
COPO

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, I'll keep charging it over and over for a bit

Do you think I could actually charge it with my Duratrax Piranha charger?

Is there another after market battery you could recommend I buy?

Cheers!

Brandon
Not sure if the Duramax charger is NiMH compatible .
Plus the AXE pack is a 9 cell. Not sure of that either with this charger.

This seems to be the hot setup.

Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 910mAh 3S 15C Discharge Deans
Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger.

Tower Hobbies has this stuff. I would try charging the pack one more time.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
flying-llama

ORIGINAL: UKIE

Hi all,

Brandon

I Have had several NiMH packs that wouldn't take very much charge for my R/C vehicles. Sometimes I had to charge them 3 or 4 times to get it up to full charge even when new. It has to do with a false voltage peak being detected by the charger. When it hits this peak it shuts off. Very possible your pack does not have the charge it should. NiMH are funny batteries. Some packs I have had work great and others not so great. all identical packs from the same company. Best suggestion I could come up with..
I have heard the following:

1. NiMH batteries take several charge/discharge cycles (3 to 15?) before they are at their best.

2. The first charge, one should try a long trickle type charge to get all the cells evenly charged.

3. I have had some apparent problems with false peaks.
I have been told to try to charge again to make sure it is not a false peak.
Another check on whether the battery is fully charged is its temperature at the end of a charge:
It should be warm (80 degrees F to 110 degrees F?, not sure. The venom aircorp site lists some temperatures for their Night Ranger 2 and 3D).
Old 01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Nitroedge

Thanks,

I saw another fellow's post where he mentioned he could not get off the ground either and his lhs said he put his blades on the wrong way. I don't think that is my problem as I recall double-checking this but I'm at work and can't see the blade orientation now.

I don't know if you can tell from this picture if I have them on the right way?

I will definitely also really charge the battery tonight, then let it cool down for 10-15mins before using it.

Brandon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19058.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	591454  
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
maxhel

blade orientation looks correct to me
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 PM
JJP9398

Blades are on correctly. You might want to even out the flybar paddle on the far side it looks like it's not parallel with the other one. Then again it could just the angle of the photo
Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 AM
calcop

Flybar paddles are upside down (from looking at the picture). They are angled wrong, fighting against your main blades for lift.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Nitroedge

Thanks so much all for your help....

Last night I practiced a bit, made a chalk circle and took it easy. The heli did get off the ground but only a little. Even with the battery fully charged it seemed if I went full throttle, it would only slowly gain altitude.

So what I'm thinking then (from all your comments) is:

- My blades are on correct
- My flybar paddles are upside down (weird since I didn't assemble those, they were on the heli out of the box)
- OR are they on correct, but one of them is angled wrong, should they be parallel to the ground?

Also, (i expect these problems are also related to the flybar paddle orientation):

- When I flew last night, with all trim controls centered, I noticed the heli was wanting to turn "counter-clockwise" which in my understanding from reading posts here, is incorrect as the helicopter should naturally want to rotate "clockwise" on throttle up and in place due to the natural rotation of the blades going "clockwise" - Is my thinking correct?

- The entire helicopter was very unstable to try and hover and kept going left and even some slight cyclic rolling tilting

I've attached a picture close-up I found on heli-max's site, does the picture show the proper angle and orientation then for the flybar paddles?

Thanks!!!!

Brandon

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19281.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	594362  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Armhunter

They should be level and they should be the exact same distance from the center of the head button.
I had to adjust mine right out of the box.
I had to make a lot of adjustments out of the box... Crazy how they state they are all test flown. I find that hard to believe.

But its a very nice heli... I can't wait to get all the cnc parts for it.. If I get good at flying.. I am going to buy a step up heli.. like the t-rex..
Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Nitroedge

That worked good, I adjusted the top paddles and then made sure everything was parallel...
Then measured the distance between the paddles to the center screw and they matched...

I was able to get about a 2-3 sec hover and that was gold for me, my enthusiasm is through the roof and can't wait to practice more..

I think the stock battery dies quick and I should have maybe properly fully charged it the first time as I think my the stock charger detects false peaks and says it's done charging but it isn't...

Real windy here in Vancouver, Canada tonight so going to keep practicing in the garage

Hope I can fine tune it more to really get the baby (and my control) stable!

What I found quite amazing is how much turbulence the blades create at less than say 12" off the ground.... when I had it up a bit in altitude the control seemed to be more "forgiving"...

Thanks again!!!

Brandon
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Jellyson

Thanks so much all for your help....

Last night I practiced a bit, made a chalk circle and took it easy. The heli did get off the ground but only a little. Even with the battery fully charged it seemed if I went full throttle, it would only slowly gain altitude.

So what I'm thinking then (from all your comments) is:

- My blades are on correct
- My flybar paddles are upside down (weird since I didn't assemble those, they were on the heli out of the box)
- OR are they on correct, but one of them is angled wrong, should they be parallel to the ground?

Also, (i expect these problems are also related to the flybar paddle orientation):

- When I flew last night, with all trim controls centered, I noticed the heli was wanting to turn "counter-clockwise" which in my understanding from reading posts here, is incorrect as the helicopter should naturally want to rotate "clockwise" on throttle up and in place due to the natural rotation of the blades going "clockwise" - Is my thinking correct?

- The entire helicopter was very unstable to try and hover and kept going left and even some slight cyclic rolling tilting

I've attached a picture close-up I found on heli-max's site, does the picture show the proper angle and orientation then for the flybar paddles?

Thanks!!!!

Brandon

No one seems to be answering your specific questions.

First, the flybar paddles are on correctly but they must be exactly parallel to each other and the flybar control frame.

Second, viewed from the top, the main blades turn clockwise, therefore the torque reaction is opposite to this: without the tail rotor, the heli body would turn counterclockwise (nose yaws to the left).

Third, the helicopter is in fact moving in response to turbulence, pilot-induced oscillations, and the tail rotor is, after all, a powerful fan pushing the heli to the left... so you do have to fly it constantly to keep it in one place in a hover. Because of the tail rotor thrust, a stable hover will actually be a bit "right wing low".

The Heli-Max Pic is correct.