Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CP mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
DscottM83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe CP mods

So Tower updated their site with pics of all the mods you can get for your AXE. Anyone mod theirs yet? The prices are pretty outrageous, $50 for blade grips? Think the prices will drop anytime soon?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=HMXE04**&P=Z
Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Armhunter

Default RE: Axe CP mods

Those are the CNC parts that cost more. But they might be well worth it if they can take a beating. But no one has upgraded theirs yet.. The parts do not come out till Feb.
The regular grips are only $2.69 and still not out until late Jan...
I just ordered the CNC grips, I heard the original grips break easy.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
outtamyway

I haven't upgraded anything yet, But I am about to stick a couple of Blade grips on the milling machine to open them up so that Blade CP rotors will fit. I need some blades that don't have a fragile monokote covering to tear up everytime it hits a blade of grass, and can't justify $70 carbon fibre units for the Axe. There are some plastic blades for the CP that cost about $24.
I'm also looking forward to installing a heading hold Gyro. I'll put the O-Scope on the Axe and CPP to see if they can use the same gyros.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 PM
metabolicmaggot

CNC is aluminum
Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
metabolicmaggot

right? being slightly larger than other poplular heli the parts aren't mass produced by many companies so they charge whatever they want, thats why its so expensive right? or is it just cause its new?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
fastie

Probably because it's new - if you see the blade cp parts at Helihobby.com they are numerous and much cheaper.

Also, commenting on the blades, I sent an e-mail to John at www.jcshobbies.com and he believes the plastic blades he makes are about the same size as what is needed for the axe. I plan on buying a pair soon to give them a try. Cost about the same tower is charging for the wooden blades - down side though - NOT assymetrical and also since they are plastic I think your copter will be more prone to break somewhere else. I am waiting on new blade grips and my wooden blades broken them.

The CNC (Computer Numerical Control - CNC is just a term referring to how the parts are cut with a computerized mill - it doesn't mean aluminum, it could be any material, but in this case the AXE uses Al parts) blade grips made from aluminum look great - ugly color, but I'm sure a must once someone else makes them cheaper or tower drops their price.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Heli Bat

thank you - thank you DscottM83 for posting this. I was just looking at this around noon time and no mention of this - man they must be on the ball to have this done.

Heli Bat
Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Try Hobbytown USA for grips. They have a nice stock of the plastics here in Nevada
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 AM
JJP9398

I have already put Blade CP blades on my AXE. I just had to unscrew the plastic covers on the blades and they fit right in to the Axe. The only problem I had was the white plastic covers on the blade came off and made them go out of ballance but I just removed the rest of it and I flies great now. One other mod I made is the tail rotor shaft. I broke it the first day and didn't have a replacement. so I made trip to the local hardware store and picked up some .078 piano wire and emry cloth and cut a piece and polished it slid right in the back berings with no problem. I don't think that will every break again.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 AM
DscottM83

Just ordered my 1st mod i guess u can call it.
Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 910mAh 3S 15C Discharge Deans & a Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger
Yeay for some decent flight time
Anyone have this setup? How much longer does it last than stock? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
outtamyway

I bought a set of the Plasti-blades for the CP Pro and tried them on my Axe today. I had to mill the molded boss down so that they would fit in the grips. They are a bit shorter and the cord length is shorter as well. They don't generate as much lift as the Stock Balsa blades, and I think they are much heavier. I also replaced the stock Axe paddles with Blade parts becasue They lock in position better than the Heli-Max parts. The combination was almost unflyable. Control inputs were seriously sluggish and unpredictable. The CP Pro paddles are just a bit smaller than the Axe paddles, but the locking screw and nut probably make them heavier. I have a nice scale; I will weight them tomorrow. Anyway, I am going to go back to the 14.5g factory blades coupled with the Blade Paddles, and see how that works.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
fastie

great post outtamyway. Thanks for the info
Old 01-09-2007, 11:48 PM
calcop

DscottM83:

My wife got me two of those batteries for christmas. They were AWSOME! Until both had cells that blew up. She got them from Tower Hobbies, they are replacing both. Tower Hobbies were great in replacing them with no questions asked. I am trying a new method of using the LiPos. I am charging them at 600 mA (yeah it takes longer) and I hear it will give even more flight time. I was getting about 8 minutes before. Other people who charge at lower amperage get about 15 minutes.

Watch out for that top cell bursting. If lithium hits oxygen (the air) it will catch fire!

Let me know how it goes, I am very interested in knowing.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
DscottM83

Are everyones batts blowing up? Thats kind of BS if so.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 AM
DscottM83

SOB you cant use this charger in the house? "Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger"?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
tgwolfwood1981

it's not that everyone's batteries are blowing up, it's just that LiPo's are much more volatile that other types. this volatility is also what makes them more powerful and lasst longer. like anything there are pro's and con's. lipos just take more care when charging and in their use. example: when i charge lipos i put the battery in a small flowering pot filled with sand. so in case there is a problem the sand will put the fire out. also in any event of a crash you must carefully inspect the battery for damage. lipos are a incredible advancement in electric RC technology, just require more care.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM
DscottM83

Thanks for the reply!
Now what about that charger. I dont get why you have to buy an $80 converter to use it in the house.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM
calcop

I just use a car battery to charge them. You need a converter becuase the chargers are DC. Your wall outlet is AC. You can get inexpensive converters from Radio Shack. And yes, they do require more care! Thanks to Tower Hobbies i'm being taken care of.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
DscottM83

Will any AC to DC converter work?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
calcop

It should, but it has to match the power requirements for your charger. For example mine is 12V only with support of 2000 mA (2 amps). So I would need a power supply that would output 12V and at least 2000 mA (if I end up using the full 2000 mA during charging).
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM
COPO

While I am not sure on the output, a power supply from a old computer is said to work great. I have read about several people using these.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
DscottM83

I dont get why they dont just make one that can plug into the wall, "seems pretty standard" under $150.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 AM
COPO

ORIGINAL: DscottM83

I dont get why they dont just make one that can plug into the wall, "seems pretty standard" under $150.
I know what your saying.
Check out this power supply. A very good deal if you ask me. I payed close to $80 for the one I have.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4071
Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM
jdoug

UKIE - That is a great power supply. We even have a couple here at work that have lasted for years. I bought one last week off Ebay for $50 shipped. For a 12A supply, that's pretty good.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
COPO

ORIGINAL: jdoug

UKIE - That is a great power supply. We even have a couple here at work that have lasted for years. I bought one last week off Ebay for $50 shipped. For a 12A supply, that's pretty good.
Smokin' deal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.