Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 AM
COPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW!

Well I got home and there was my package from Tower that contained my new AXE. With my 4 y.o. daughter by my side, we opened it... Nice! Of course she wanted me to fly it right away. lol.. This copter looks to be designed and built well. I must say I was impressed as to how small the servos are. The servos in my nitro trucks are MUCH bigger and more robust for obvious reasons.

So far I put my nicads in the transmitter, and began detailing the polycarb body (damn that thing is hard to get on and off). Mounted the main blades and just continued to stare and observe this fine model. Lots of delicate pieces. Now I understand how badly it could get damaged in a small crash. The linkage control is interesting to say the least.

I sat for a few minutes just with the transmitter in hand to get a feel for it. Trying to get down in my mind what stick controls what function. No movement yet of any servos as I started running out of time and did not have the NiMH pack charged yet. Just playing and thinking.

Tonight will be charging the pack and try getting some movement out of the servos. Also need to look at the CD that was supplied. Then it off to RADDS to begin prepping for my maiden flight...

I have 2 labradors. Between them, my daughter and my wife there is far too much distraction for me to be flying this when they are around. I will need to find some free time BY MYSELF if I want success. Not going to be easy but slow and steady wins the race I guess.... We shall see!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Heli Bat

Default RE: WOW!

Congradulations on your AXE. I agree that you need time with no distractions.
Read those directions very carefully - in my ecitement just like anyone else, it is so easy to "skim" the directions to get on with the fun stuff. I encourage you to really sit down and read the instructions.

1) Don't let a freind or someone talk you into doing something with the Heli until you are comfortable with it. I had a freind that came over and insisted that I fly it way up in the air over my house. Obvisouly he knows nothing of the complexity of this little machine. Again, take it at the pace that only YOU are comfortable with and no one else. Flying a Heli is demanding at first - alot of dexterities to learn !

2)Use the training gear.

3) One more thing UKIE - if you can, I highly suggest, (almost to the point of telling you) to find a smooth level surface - NO grass. The reason is that a smooth concrete surface will allow the AXE to "wander" around on the concrete hard surface as you practice. The Grass, well, what can happen is this: the tail fin has a small wire at bottom and it is a hook that will get caught in the grass and make it flip over. Please do not attemp to fly in the grass first. Please find a smooth concrete or paved place. (flat and level). What can happen is this: If the Tail Fin wire is caught in a weed or whatever, then as you apply power you think, why isn't this thing hovering or getting up in the air. You continue to apply more power and then the "weed" in the grass snaps loose and then the next thing you know is that your AXE is like 10 feet above your head (at best) or worse the Weed continues to hold the tail fin down whilst your AXE flips over and damages all of your rotor mechanics.

4) read #2 again !!!

5) Practice getting the AXe to hover only inches off the ground. Please remember that you will be fighting the "Ground Effect" which in turn makes it more difficult to Hover the AXE or any Heli as far as that goes only inches off the ground. It is like trying to balance yourself on a gigantic rubber ball. It can be hard as heck to hover only inches from the ground, but you must only take this small step. This step is important as it starts the process of you getting used to your new AXE.

6) the tail Rotor is NOT going to spin up until you reach a certain RPM on the AXE. This will be about 1/3 of throttle - don't let this confuse you.

7) try to avoid any tempatations to "adjust" anything until you have tried to hover it at least about 10 times. Or maybe even more. You don't want to make a mechanical or electrical adjustment to it when it is something you are doing.

8) Make sure and absolutely sure that you TRIMS on the transmitter are adjusted to "center" at very first.

9) I had to get used to the fact that sometimes the AXE " nose heading" will want to act "snappy" when you are applying power - apply your power slowly.

10) if this is your very first Heli with no Heli experience at all, get used to looking at the Heli with minumum power applied.

11) read those directions very carefully

12) Go get immediately the Great Planes 910maH LiPo and a charger. You will get tired and frustrated getting only 5 to 8 minutes of flying time. The Great Places 910maH battery is a good power to weight ratio and besides it will fit into the space in the AXE.

The reason I adjusted my Gyro is that when I leaned how to hover half way decent, I noticed that when I let go of the Rudder (left Stick) that the AXE would turn to the left and make these slow counterclockwise turn peroletting. In order for it to stop, I had to make a trim adjustment on the Transmitter Left TRIM all the way to the right. Knowing that this is not normal, I continued to learn to hover and then started making adjustments to the Gyro.

Evenutally you will see that no mechanics or electronics is going to be absolutely perfect, that it will need to be adjusted as time goes by.

Good Luck -
Heli Bat
Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
COPO

ORIGINAL: Heli Bat

Congradulations on your AXE. I agree that you need time with no distractions.
Read those directions very carefully - in my ecitement just like anyone else, it is so easy to "skim" the directions to get on with the fun stuff. I encourage you to really sit down and read the instructions.

1) Don't let a freind or someone talk you into doing something with the Heli until you are comfortable with it. I had a freind that came over and insisted that I fly it way up in the air over my house. Obvisouly he knows nothing of the complexity of this little machine. Again, take it at the pace that only YOU are comfortable with and no one else. Flying a Heli is demanding at first - alot of dexterities to learn !

2)Use the training gear.

3) One more thing UKIE - if you can, I highly suggest, (almost to the point of telling you) to find a smooth level surface - NO grass. The reason is that a smooth concrete surface will allow the AXE to "wander" around on the concrete hard surface as you practice. The Grass, well, what can happen is this: the tail fin has a small wire at bottom and it is a hook that will get caught in the grass and make it flip over. Please do not attemp to fly in the grass first. Please find a smooth concrete or paved place. (flat and level). What can happen is this: If the Tail Fin wire is caught in a weed or whatever, then as you apply power you think, why isn't this thing hovering or getting up in the air. You continue to apply more power and then the "weed" in the grass snaps loose and then the next thing you know is that your AXE is like 10 feet above your head (at best) or worse the Weed continues to hold the tail fin down whilst your AXE flips over and damages all of your rotor mechanics.

4) read #2 again !!!

5) Practice getting the AXe to hover only inches off the ground. Please remember that you will be fighting the "Ground Effect" which in turn makes it more difficult to Hover the AXE or any Heli as far as that goes only inches off the ground. It is like trying to balance yourself on a gigantic rubber ball. It can be hard as heck to hover only inches from the ground, but you must only take this small step. This step is important as it starts the process of you getting used to your new AXE.

6) the tail Rotor is NOT going to spin up until you reach a certain RPM on the AXE. This will be about 1/3 of throttle - don't let this confuse you.

7) try to avoid any tempatations to "adjust" anything until you have tried to hover it at least about 10 times. Or maybe even more. You don't want to make a mechanical or electrical adjustment to it when it is something you are doing.

8) Make sure and absolutely sure that you TRIMS on the transmitter are adjusted to "center" at very first.

9) I had to get used to the fact that sometimes the AXE " nose heading" will want to act "snappy" when you are applying power - apply your power slowly.

10) if this is your very first Heli with no Heli experience at all, get used to looking at the Heli with minumum power applied.

11) read those directions very carefully

12) Go get immediately the Great Planes 910maH LiPo and a charger. You will get tired and frustrated getting only 5 to 8 minutes of flying time. The Great Places 910maH battery is a good power to weight ratio and besides it will fit into the space in the AXE.

The reason I adjusted my Gyro is that when I leaned how to hover half way decent, I noticed that when I let go of the Rudder (left Stick) that the AXE would turn to the left and make these slow counterclockwise turn peroletting. In order for it to stop, I had to make a trim adjustment on the Transmitter Left TRIM all the way to the right. Knowing that this is not normal, I continued to learn to hover and then started making adjustments to the Gyro.

Evenutally you will see that no mechanics or electronics is going to be absolutely perfect, that it will need to be adjusted as time goes by.

Good Luck -
Heli Bat
Ah beautiful stuff HeliBat.. Almost feels like I few the damn thing already lol.. Thanks!

I sat down and started "skimming the instructions" like you described and had to tell myself WHOA! Slow down! I want to fly this thing bad, but am learning patience. So I read it from cover to cover. It helped some. Now tonight I want to play the CD they give you. One step at a time.

My first flights will be made in my garage or possibly in my shop (a little warmer but a little less space). No outside flying until Spring. It is finally getting cold around these parts (I am a snowmobiler) with a huge storm headed our way, so even if I wanted to go outside I can't. The battery/charger combo is the next purchase. I already have a power supply.

On the blade tension, being somewhat loose in the grip does this allow the blades to "center" themselves from the inertial forces? Not sure where to place them so they are in line with each other? I just eyeballed them and set them up like they describe in the instructions.

Thanks again
Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Heli Bat

The DVD that came with it is a good motivator to set it up right. They tell you how to setup the blades for proper tension in the Blade Grips.

Heli Bat