Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

ARGHH Damn Li-Po battery :(

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

ARGHH Damn Li-Po battery :(

Old 01-13-2007, 12:45 PM
DscottM83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGHH Damn Li-Po battery :(

So anyway i order my "Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 910mAh 3S 15C Discharge Deans" battery and "Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger" and it finally gets here. I open the package and notice the connector is nothing like the one on my heli. So now im pissed, i thought this was a direct fit. Guess not, So now i have to order [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNGB5&P=M]>>THIS<<[/link] according to tower.
</rant>
Old 01-13-2007, 12:54 PM
AirforceRcks

Default RE: ARGHH Damn Li-Po battery :(

an easier fix would be to get some deans ultra at ur lhs and cut the old on off then solder it on. ive done this many times to my plane's batts and esc's.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
DscottM83

Why do people pick this batter for the Axe CP when they sell one with the right connector? Also it seems like it has to be installed in sideways, its a different shape than normal.

Reccomend battery for the ACE CP per Tower
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUJ3&P=M

Battery with the correct connector.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAJ3&P=7
Old 01-13-2007, 05:54 PM
AirforceRcks

different mah

first one is 910

second is 640
Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 PM
ElectricHead

I just bought a Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mA battery and the same charger today. I made my own adaptor out of deans micro and ultra plugs. Same as the one pictured only not quite as compact. I had to replace plug on battery also and put deans ultra connector on charger lead. Took me some time but I did the job. Battery is charging now. Will post flight times later tonight.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:54 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ElectricHead

I just bought a Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mA battery and the same charger today. I made my own adaptor out of deans micro and ultra plugs. Same as the one pictured only not quite as compact. I had to replace plug on battery also and put deans ultra connector on charger lead. Took me some time but I did the job. Battery is charging now. Will post flight times later tonight.

You shoulda bought three. They work great, just remember to let the motors cool.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM
ElectricHead

Well, just used my Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mA LiPo and WOW! Much,Much more power. Rotor speed is higher and hover is more stable. I had to mess with tail rotor trim because of more main and tail rotor speed. Heli throttle has increased responsiveness to the point that if you add pitch heli gains altitude without much delay at all. The heli bobs up and down much less when you add cyclic commands. Probably the best upgrade I will ever make to this heli. Flight time you ask? I had to stop myself at twelve minutes. Could have gone longer but you do not want to discharge LiPo's too much as you will damage battery if drained too far. Battery was just warm and motors were warm. Not hot but warm at about 80 degrees or so. Motors were cooler than battery by a little bit. Air temp I was flying in was 45 degrees. Its a shame that now I will have to use a timer so I don't fly too long!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:10 AM
COPO

ElectricHead, can you describe specifically what you did to make the adapter? I was looking at the T.P 1320 pack and the end that connects to the motor on the AXE has 4 individual wires into one connector. The AXE motor connector has 2 wires with the deans micro. What to do with 2 other wires? Do you have a pic of it?

Also did you buy new pins and plastic connectors? or did you simply cut and splice using shrink tube?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Two Handed Axe

Ukie that is the balance charge lead, there are two sets of wires that come out of a li po one for running and one for charging. I believe the thunder power comes with a deans ultra and you have to change it on the heli or the battery.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
ElectricHead

TP pack has discharge leads and balanced charge leads. My pack came with JST plug on discharge. I cut that off and replaced it with Dean's ultra female plug. My charger is not a balanced charger so I do not use balanced leads. I just rubber banded them to the pack to keep them out of the way. I then cut off the end of my charger lead and installed a Dean's Ultra male plug. So now battery can plug into charger. Axe uses micro Dean's connector so we have to go from ultra to micro. So I just took a male ultra and used one inch long wires to connect to micro plug. You can but and ultra/micro adaptor but my LHS had none so I made one. Make sure you connect positive wires to positive and negative to negative. Triple check and then check some more. Be sure to put a female connector on the battery. You do not want two exposed blades sticking out on battery. Sure as heck the battery will get shorted out with these exposed blades no matter how carefull you are and ruin your new expensive battery.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
COPO

Thanks very much for the info on the TP pack. I will be ordering one of these this week.

I need to buy a charger and have been reading that the lipo cells should really be balanced. so I am thinking about getting the FMA cellpro. The Great planes one from Tower for $25 isn't a balance charger I think. For another $40 I can get the FMA. Plus the TP pack would plug into this charger without having to change the plug?

Does anyone have one of these chargers? Looking for some feedback on it.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
DscottM83

You use the same GreatPlanes Charger i posted? "Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger"
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
ElectricHead

FMA charger is good as per reviews I have seen. Make sure you purchase an adaptor to work with Thunder Power batteries. I know the "Great Planes PolyCharge Lithium Polymer DC Charger" that I have will not balance but I intend on getting a balancer ASAP. I went with charger as it is cheep and my LHS had them. I plan on getting a lager heli later this year (Swift or Trex 600) so I am going to purchase a charger that can charge at least six cells and balance. Thinking about getting an Astro Flight "Blinky" battery balancer for $25 or an ElectriFly Equinox LiPo Cell Balancer for $30. Just stuff to get me by untill I am ready to get a large capacity charger/balancer setup.

I love my Thunder Power 11.1V 1320 mA battery. You will not believe the difference it makes!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 PM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

I don't mess around with adapters. Twenty minutes out of the box, I had clipped the micro connectors off for the battery connection and crimped on some PowerPole connecters like I use on everything else.
The only downside is if I ever decide to sell it, I'll most likely have to re-solder the micro deans back on since very few people I've run into use PowerPole's.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 AM
ElectricHead

I believe that with the FMA CellPro you need and adaptor to balance charge Thunder Power / Polyquest batteries. They also sell adaptors for the Great Planes batteries. You can also purchase bare leads to make your own balanced leads to fit your batteries but I am not as adept at electronics as you at this time. Thanks for your info.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
chaseman81

Hi Guys,
I have read every forum on the axe cp THANKS A BUNCH! Mine will be here Thursday or Friday and I can't wait. The one thing I noticed is the chargers you are all talking about. I have the ICE by Duramax. My buddy says if your batteries cost more than your charger than you're in trouble. It charges all type of batteries.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML

10 battery memory and charges ,discharges and cycles and also has a motor breakin feature.
This is a DC charger meaning you will need a power supply to use it indoors. about $124.00
I love it cause you just tell it what battery it is charging and it handles the rest for you PLUS you can set the charge rate to exactlly what the battery is. FYI. Just trying to give back. I will be gettting the upgraded battery asap TP 11.1Mah 1320 sounds great

Chaseman81