Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

What LiPo/Charger is everyone running

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

What LiPo/Charger is everyone running

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
DriveWRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What LiPo/Charger is everyone running

Thanks Heliko!
I will give them a try and see what happens. I'll post my findings when I can. (I don't even have the Axe yet!!! Nor can I do more than hover and drift around a little...[X(])

Thanks for your other [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5573190]post[/link]. Good info there!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Heliko

Your welcome, glad to help! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 AM
markconsig

I'm also running a TP-425 charger with a TP1320 battery. It's pretty sweet having longer than a 4 min flying time. One question though, how long are these thing supposed to take to charge up. Seems like forever for this high tech gadget.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
rc-jj

i have a question abotu the set-up ( i finally got around to it - been flying the sim and started Radd's and using stock battery) ... i tried to charge with the computer power supply but my balancer http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGS7

keeps beeping and paperwork accompanying says that it has apower supply problem .... did you have any such problems?

thanks a bunch
Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: rc-jj

i have a question abotu the set-up ( i finally got around to it - been flying the sim and started Radd's and using stock battery) ... i tried to charge with the computer power supply but my balancer http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGS7

keeps beeping and paperwork accompanying says that it has apower supply problem .... did you have any such problems?

thanks a bunch
My set-up has worked flawlessly (pictured below). What charger are you using with the balancer?
Also if you have a voltmeter check the output voltage of the power supply. It should be 12-14 volts. If it's above or below this then it might cause problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84513.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	651392  
Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 PM
rc-jj

oooh now i am lost (sorry like i said before i am still such a new-b AND retarded :-) ...double whammy [&o]

I am using the Electrify Polycharge balancer http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGS7

i thought that i connected it directly to the cords off the computer power supply (the clips from the balancer clipped to cords of Power supply)

am i just way off the mark?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Heliko

Way off! No worries though. The Equinox is used in conjuction with a charger. It gives a conventional Li-Po charger balancing capabilities. The Equinox by itself is not a charger, but merely an adaptor to allow a balancing charge. The Equinox will do a quick balance on it's own, but that's it.

Bottom line. Your still going to have to buy a charger.

Believe me I know this stuff can be confusing. When I bought my Axe 'balancing connectors' were new to me and I had little experience with Li-Po's anyway. I bought a Hobbico MKII charger with a Electrifly 11.1v, 910ma 'Safecharge battery' as recommended by Tower. I charged the battery one time and accidentially ran it down to like 8.9 volts.

When I tried to charge it with the MKII it wouldn't work. I called Hobbico and the tech told me that the MKII was having problems telling whether the pack was a 2 or 3 cell pack. I'd start the charger it'd run for a couple of seconds then shut off. The tech actually told me to keep trying to see if the charger will stay engaged. Yeah right! [:@]

Instead I sent them the pack and it must've been bad because they sent me a new one. After reading many people were having problems with these 'Safecharge' packs I returned it. At the same time I found out that packs with balance connectors were the way to go. Knowing that The MKII wouldn't be up to the task I upgraded to the Duratrax ICE charger when I got the Equinox balancer.

To sum it up here's what I learned. If your gonna use Li-Po's get a good quality charger and balancer. The MKII has pretty much been dormant since I got the ICE. Basically a waste of $50. Right now your halfway there you just need to get a good charger. There are many choices. The ICE and Triton series are a good place to start. Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 AM
rc-jj

Heliko

much thanks for your explanation - i REALLY do appreciate your patience and explaining things to me so clearly - so i guess it is back to my Hobby store for more supplies - at least i am having fun w/ my flight sim ... i know patience is needed in this hobby and so far i have no regrets.

Again thanks for the help - i'll go shopping, and keep you posted.

have a great day bud [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Heliko

Glad to help. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
You got the right attitude.
You just can't rush this stuff that's for sure.
...and yeah let me know how you make out.
Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 PM
brickisred

ORIGINAL: Heliko
Believe me I know this stuff can be confusing. When I bought my Axe 'balancing connectors' were new to me and I had little experience with Li-Po's anyway. I bought a Hobbico MKII charger

At the same time I found out that packs with balance connectors were the way to go. Knowing that The MKII wouldn't be up to the task I upgraded to the Duratrax ICE charger when I got the Equinox balancer.
So, Heliko, the MK II won't work with a cell balancer? It would be nice if Hobbico or Tower would mention this on their website...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: brickisred

So, Heliko, the MK II won't work with a cell balancer? It would be nice if Hobbico or Tower would mention this on their website...
The MKII probably will work with the Equinox if you don't run the Li-po's too low. If they're run too low the MKII might have a problem figuring out if the Li-Po is a 2 or 3 cell. Since you can't manually input any selections other than battery type with the MKII your at the mercy of it's automatic sensing circuitry.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:47 AM
rc-jj

Heliko

guess i should do the polite thing and give you feedback on my power pack/ charger woes from way back when.....i (actually more like my brother - although i handed him tools) finally got the power pack up and running but i still had issues. it turned out my battery pack was bad - i called the company and they are sendimg me a new one ..... the worst part is just waiting for it to get here

have a great day and as always thanks a bunch for help and GREAT advice you give.

happy flying

JJ
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
SchoooBaka

I bought a DN power 1350 lipo pack for 50 bucks and found a parkzone balancing charger for 33 bucks.
So far I love this setup. The charger peaks the battery in under an hour and I'm getting 7 to 10 minute flight times.
The battery set the cg slightly forward, but not enough to really affect hovering and flight, so I've been running it without adding any additional weight.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Heliko

RC-JJ, I'm glad to help.

Schooobaka, $50 is kinda steep for that DN pack. If you buy another you may want to price shop a little. I bought mine from Helihobby for $29.99.
Oddly though I'm using the same pack as you charging it with the ICE charger and Equinox balancer and I get 12-14 flight times. I might be running the packs down further though. In the timed flight I did a while back the pack voltage was 9.2v at the end of my run.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
SchoooBaka

Thanks. I was originally intending on getting the TP 1320, but they did'nt have em. I thought the DN's we're kinda expensive and the guy pointed at the TP's saying they we're about 80 bucks.
I've flown for 7 mins, then let things cool down, and flown for 5 mins, but I think one of the cells dropped a little more than I'd like to see; so I guess you could get 12 to 15 mins out of a pack If you were'nt hovering most of the time.
I was stoked on the parkzone charger though.
Out of curiosity, what voltage is you're batt at when fully charged?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: SchoooBaka

Out of curiosity, what voltage is you're batt at when fully charged?
12.6 volts.