Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Titanium mainshaft for Axe CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Titanium mainshaft for Axe CP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 PM
TitaniumPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Titanium mainshaft for Axe CP

I must add to your statement Heliko - Is that the one thing about Titanium parts they will be heavier. Yet the plus to this is that you can get the light with well placed holes for material removal, and not harm the strength of the apparatus. Thus given you even lighter yet stronger parts than even aircraft grade aluminum. 30% of the space shuttle is machined out of aluminum and 40% is Grade 5 Titanium. A lot of their Titanium parts strategically placed holes for lightening yet not weakening their parts. The problem we run into in machining these parts are repeatablility. This is which has hampered the market for cost effectiveness; along with the fact is that know once you buy that part, that will be the last one you buy, unless you decide to fly your heli in front of 80 mph 18-Wheelers. Anyway... Have a good one, I will keep it posted how I come along on my challenge of this great sport! Fly like a superstar!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
no hesitation

I almost gave up considering investment versus interest, but the inquiries keep coming although slowly. As soon as I have enough to break even I'll let you all know. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
samtheboxer

how is this project coming along? I am frustrated with the parts from heli-max, not so much the strength, but the quality. I have to buy 2-3 shafts to find one thats straight! I would make my own, but i dont have access to a lathe....

Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
mrasmm

a simple way to straighten them is drill a hole in a 2x4 with the same size bit as the shaft or slightly smaller. Chuck the shaft up in a drill and while the drill is spinning push the shaft into the hole. Pretty easy, quick and cheap =)
Old 06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Heliko

That whole 'spinning the shaft in a piece of wood thing' doesn't work real well with the soft aluminum the Axe's shaft is made from. It lacks the springiness (for lack of a better word) required for this to work.

I imagine it works OK with steel shafts though.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

carbon steel

which one?

a2

d2

cpm10v

I asume you are not heat treating the carbon steel