Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
cflytrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MX450 XS Discussion Thread

Ok so I got around to pulling the bolt on the bottom of the mainshaft/main gear. The bolt is in great shape. No thread wear at all really and very straight.

It is just so sloppy in the hole of the mainshaft, which also shows no signs of wear. I bought a piece of 1/16" and 1/8" aluminum tubing from my LHS to try to fabricate a sleeve that the bolt fits into, and fits into the hole of the main shaft itself. I managed to drill out the inside diameter of the tubing enough and I got the bolt thread in. I cut the tubing to a manageable length and put it in my dremel motor and I am trying to sand off some of the outside diameter of the tubing. I still cannot get it to fit in the hole in the mainshaft, and the tubing has become very very thin from fabbing on it. I have also invested about an hour of my day at home messing with this and my wife wants me to take her to the local art show [:'(]

I will probably spend a few more minutes working that aluminum tonight. I just know I'm gonna sand thru the darn thing. Does anyone have any other ideas? I almost thought about making a sleeve out of aluminum foil wrapped around a bolt that I can bind together with a little thin CA glue. Has anyone ever tried such a thing?

Anyone know McGuyver's e-mail ?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 PM
cflytrap

I was drinking my $3.50 cup of joe this morning and realized that the red coffee sipping straw might be the right inside and outside diameter to shim this jesus bolt issue I am having

I'll report back on that later hehe
Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Ductapemaster

Hmmm...sounds like you either need a new main shaft (worst case) or you have the wrong size bolt. Mine fits in there nice and snug and I have no play coming from there. I would pull the main shaft completely out of the head and see if the holes are the same size on both ends. The main shaft is symmetrical so you could also check the bolt in question against the one that holds the head to the shaft.

Good luck!

-Dan
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 AM
cflytrap

Ok here is the funny part. The screw threads into the main gear and anti rotation sleeve is snug and its sloppy in the main shaft hole. Maybe one of the components in question isn't a mx450 part but a "not-so-compatible" trex part or something of that nature. The heli was used, from a friend. I think I am going to replace the mainshaft and bolt, gears and collar with fresh helimax parts.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
fetrix

Hi
You might not remember me but you gave me some advise. ( pages 19-22 in this forum) I wanted to buy an mx 450 and i did (thanks to this forum actually) but there is a slight problem... basically i didn't trust my building experience so i went to one of the local hobby shops and they said they could build it for me for 100 bucks ( with programming and everything) so i agreed since i did not want ANYTHING TO GO WRONG so i gave them my radio and heli and they told me come in 3 weeks.. after three weeks they did not have it ready, then i went on vacation so i couldn't put any pressure on these guys. then my mom calls me ( I'm 16 by the way) and she tells me the hobby shop called.. they said something like this " your son used the wrong equipment on his heli he used an airplane motor instead of a heli motor ( ***??) , so now you have to pay 450 dollars if you want that fixed, 350 for fixing it with the new parts and 100 for us building it, he used too advanced equipment for the heli.".. You can imagine how mad i was, here in mexico, all the hobby stuff is exactly two times more expensive than the US.... i mean they wont give my heli back if i dont pay them, so my question is did i use the wrong motor? i used the recommended ammo motor, a futaba 401 gyro, 2100 GP battery, a GP 45 amps ESC and the "Mini Heli Performance ServoSet by JR " i checked with JR and the tail servo does work with the gyro. Anyway any recommendations?? i think that all of the equipment I used was ok, but do you see any mistakes?? anyway thanks a lot
Fetrix
Old 08-05-2008, 05:37 PM
osterizer

The "too advanced" part is silly, but the 3400g servo looks like you'd need to use an Align pushrod and boom mounts rather than putting it in the original servo location with the stock pushrod- it won't fit in the frame. As for using an airplane motor in the heli, if you're using the recommended Great Planes Ammo 28-45-2700 motor, then that argument is off. It could be that they meant the ESC- I don't know of any GP helicopter ESC, and way back when you were looking at a Castle Phoenix.

ORIGINAL: fetrix

Hi
You might not remember me but you gave me some advise. ( pages 19-22 in this forum) I wanted to buy an mx 450 and i did (thanks to this forum actually) but there is a slight problem... basically i didn't trust my building experience so i went to one of the local hobby shops and they said they could build it for me for 100 bucks ( with programming and everything) so i agreed since i did not want ANYTHING TO GO WRONG so i gave them my radio and heli and they told me come in 3 weeks.. after three weeks they did not have it ready, then i went on vacation so i couldn't put any pressure on these guys. then my mom calls me ( I'm 16 by the way) and she tells me the hobby shop called.. they said something like this " your son used the wrong equipment on his heli he used an airplane motor instead of a heli motor ( ***??) , so now you have to pay 450 dollars if you want that fixed, 350 for fixing it with the new parts and 100 for us building it, he used too advanced equipment for the heli.".. You can imagine how mad i was, here in mexico, all the hobby stuff is exactly two times more expensive than the US.... i mean they wont give my heli back if i dont pay them, so my question is did i use the wrong motor? i used the recommended ammo motor, a futaba 401 gyro, 2100 GP battery, a GP 45 amps ESC and the "Mini Heli Performance ServoSet by JR " i checked with JR and the tail servo does work with the gyro. Anyway any recommendations?? i think that all of the equipment I used was ok, but do you see any mistakes?? anyway thanks a lot
Fetrix
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
dpleasants

Sounds to me like they are just trying to rip you off. All your equipment sounds just fine for the heli.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
fetrix

Hello
thanks for replying, i forgot to mention that I used boom mounts for my helicopter, I couldn't get a castle creations ESC here in Mexico so i got the best option which seemed to be the "Great Planes Silver Series 45A Brushless ESC 5V/2A BEC " that may be what they are arguing it thought it would work ... Next Monday i will be picking it up, hopefully i can get my heli out of that shop for the least price possible.. and dpleasants, I completely agree with you..
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM
bilsue2005(crash)

I just bought one and Im using an e-flight 25amp esc, the stock motor, pkz1060 servo's, a 2200pkz battery esky gyro and a stock radio and receiver from a honeybee king 2 (yeah im broke) Any setup advice would be great.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
osterizer

Man, sorry to tell you, but you're probably going to be disappointed- the King2 has a different swash setup than the MX so the mixing is likely to be wrong and you can't change it with that radio. I really don't think that setup is going to work out.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 PM
bilsue2005(crash)

I looked at that real close. The ele is on the back of the mx450 while on the honey bee is in the front if I reverse the ele and ail and leave the pitch on normal it should work out I dont fly in idle up any way (im a beginner) so as long as the squash is level I shouldn't have any trouble scale flying. (correct me if im wrong) I have all of the servo's lined up on my pool table the way they would be in the bird and the way I have the honeybee radio set up. When I throtle up all three squash servos are moving in the same dir. I give it left ail the left side goes down and the right side goes up. the rear (ele) stays when I pull back on the ele the rear goes down and the front two go up and when I push the ele the front two go down and the rear goes up. I might not get the correct pitch but, the bird should still fly right?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM
osterizer

Maybe you can get it to work- dunno, never tried that setup . But 450 sized helicopters are dangerous animals if you have control problems. I'd be anxious about it.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 PM
fetrix

Hello everyone,
I finally got my helicopter out of that hobby shop ( i had to threaten them with a lawsuit) and a friend helped me set it up properly, the guys at the hobby shop broke my ammo motor and ESC so they installed an ALIGN motor and esc... Anyway I tested it on Friday ( just hovering) and on Saturday I started doing some mild sport flying... I am speechless, what an INCREDIBLE HELI!!! I will probably upload some photos soon. I haven't tried auto rotations yet, some people at the flying field said that the heli was too small to autorotate properly, any comments??
thanks,
fetrix
Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
bilsue2005(crash)

Just to let you know I have finished my build and have test flown it. All I can say is that it fly's better that my t-rex 450sa. The Pitch curve and everything is perfect. It is the most steady heli I have ever flown
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67331.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1018782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33891.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1018783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44671.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1018784  
Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: fetrix

Hello everyone,
I finally got my helicopter out of that hobby shop ( i had to threaten them with a lawsuit) and a friend helped me set it up properly, the guys at the hobby shop broke my ammo motor and ESC so they installed an ALIGN motor and esc... Anyway I tested it on Friday ( just hovering) and on Saturday I started doing some mild sport flying... I am speechless, what an INCREDIBLE HELI!!! I will probably upload some photos soon. I haven't tried auto rotations yet, some people at the flying field said that the heli was too small to autorotate properly, any comments??
thanks,
fetrix
Ya, they don't auto well. Just not big enough.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: bilsue2005(crash)
It is the most steady heli I have ever flown
Wait until you get a big one.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 AM
rollingball

Wow, have not been here in here a long time. Nice to see the regulars still here. Anyway, Hi all.
I do still have trusty old MX, but I have gone up in the world. And bigger is nicer[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-07-2008, 06:01 AM
osterizer

Wait until he pulls the flybar out of that big one .
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 AM
rollingball

Yeah!! [link=http://www.skookumrobotics.com/]Skookum[/link] will give the V-Bar a run for its money. Problem is the virus will travel down the line.

HA ha, flybarless MX[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 AM
osterizer

Ha, but why not? As good as it is for an intermediate heli, it needs sharper and stronger cyclic to really wring it out. Rip all the mixer hardware out and give it an SK360, it would be even more stable on center, and you could dial in the extra cyclic. Art said they were working on remote switching for the gains in a coming software release, so you could tie the stabilization and B/H mixes to the flight mode- talk about cool!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 AM
rollingball

The creator really did his homework on this piece of hardware. It has all one could want, and is very easily upgradeable and programmable, just like having Castle Link. Best all, We don't need to discard our favorite tail gyros.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Agree on ripping the mixes out, Whew!!! it would be cool, some Radix blades and Scorpion power and of course 4S power. Look out MT and Rex 450.[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 AM
osterizer

This conversation is going to cost me......
Old 09-07-2008, 02:29 PM
[]TEX[]

Did someone say flybarless?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-1cc6Z3JM
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
osterizer

Nice, Tex. You're getting good!

I maidened my L600 a couple weeks ago (also sans flybar), but it's my first "big" helicopter so I'm in no position to throw it around yet. Only four packs through it, in fact, but so far? Beautiful.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: osterizer

Nice, Tex. You're getting good!

I maidened my L600 a couple weeks ago (also sans flybar), but it's my first "big" helicopter so I'm in no position to throw it around yet. Only four packs through it, in fact, but so far? Beautiful.
Not me flying, just some video from the local fun fly. Been looking at a possible Mikado Logo 600 3D kit. How is yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.