Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Direct drive tail

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Direct drive tail

Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM
xxxntwv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct drive tail

I just purchased the gws edp-50xc direct drive tail motor and have a couple of questions.First do you use the little prop included or is there another.I tried it and it flies great but from a hover into a full power climb it doesn't have enough to hold the tail,I have a gy240 installed.Other than that it flies great.Also is it supposed to turn clockwise,as the stock turns counterclockwise.would the 3x3 prop be better.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Heliko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Direct drive tail

The Axe is kind of big for that GWS DD set up with the 3" props. I think they had the Blade in mind which weighs a little more than half of what the Axe weighs. Watch the motor temp on that tail too, it probably gets pretty hot, also chances are it's sucking alot of amps.

I tried one of those little props on my BL tail motor and my motor temp jumped from the usual 98ΒΊ to 118ΒΊ. You would probably need one of [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHHE2&P=ML]these props[/link]. Keep in mind though that would increase the load on your tail motor even further. The problem is brushed or brushless motors of this size can produce lots of RPM, but little torque. That's what's nice about a gear driven tail. The gears act as a torque multiplier.

As far as the pitch and rotation. There's nothing that can be done. It's the only way the GWS prop can spin for this application which is also unfortunate because going against the rotorwash gives the tail rotor more power so the DD set-up looses efficiency here as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45617.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	681875