Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Head speed and stability issues

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Head speed and stability issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head speed and stability issues

Just finished flying 3 batts on the rebuilt Axe. I found I have alot of pitch in the blades which caused the heli to lift off at a slow head speed. In Idle up, it flies fine. But when I switch to normal mode, the heli is extremely unstable. I really have to fight the collective and the tail rotor.

If you find the heli is hard to control, try lowering the pitch of the blades to end up with higher head speed.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM
PilotLight

Default RE: Head speed and stability issues

Today I did more experimenting with the setup of the blade pitch and head speed and found some interesting results. I shortened the connecting rods between the blade grip and the seesaw one complete turn on both sides. The test flight confirmed that the higher headspeed really stabilizes the Heli. Although, when the battery got low (about half) it became sluggish again. So, I decided to go another turn. (someone on here remarked how their plasic parts on the theaded rod were touching and they couldn't screw them in any further and they came that way from the factory) The flight revealed that the heli was now on the movement of the swashplate instead of the power being applied to the motor. (if that makes sense to you) The up and down of the collective was MUCH more sensitive, but the cyclic requirements and the tail control were much easier. This is the way it feels in idle up mode, so I recommend this setup.

I didn't get a chance to try the idle-up mode as it got too dark to see. Before the adjustments, when going into idle up, the heli would really gain rotor speed from normal mode. Then once on the ground after the flight, I went to back normal mode, and the heli would jump 3 feet into the air no matter where the collective was (even all the way down). Getting it back down was handful. Switching into Idle-up midflight nearly drove the heli into the ground so I didn't do it again! We'll see how the new setup does switching into idle-up tomorrow if its calm.

I'm gonna get it perfect and then destroy it again, I just know it...
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
alienteabagger

PIlot... If you are using using a programmable radio, you can do all that stuff in the Tx as opposed to messing with the blade grip links. Right before I sold my Axe I was at the hobby shop and there was a guy there with a Dx6 setup to fly his Axe. He let me fly it and it was nice!!

If you are still flying with the stock radio, then I guess you don't have much of a choice....
Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
PilotLight

Everything is still stock on this thing except for the battery.

Tonight I flew 2 more batteries through it and had a chance to try the Idle up mode. There is still a noticeable increase in RPM when switching to idle up, but it did fine. After about 10 minutes of circuits, I brought her back down and went to slight negative pitch. Switching to normal mode made the heli jumped about a foot, but it was expected and controllable.

Rotating the heli nose in still gets me on my toes, but practice will take care of that. Inverted flight is taunting the snot out of me! Its the only thing this heli can do that a FP or coax can't. I want to use ALL the performance this thing has to offer. [sm=punching.gif]