Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Terminology please

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Terminology please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 PM
MMatheny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terminology please

What is the terminology for the 2 different modes of flight - one where the motor is off with throttle cut and advances the throttle and blade pitch as the the throttle is advanced, and the other mode, where the rotor is at a constant speed and the throttle control only changes the blade pitch? (idle up, maybe)
Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Terminology please

Normal mode allows the engine to goto idle (or off if electric) and idle up is for aerobatics.

During flight, even in normal mode, the throttle and pitch work together to keep a constant blade speed. If you add pitch you also add drag so you need more throttle to keep the same speed.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
MMatheny

So, the two terms are normal mode and idle up??
Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

That's what we've been using here on this Forum. There's actally a third setting not always used on all heli's. Its called "Throttle Hold". What is does is leaves the throttle to the motor off (electric) or idle (gas/glow) and then collective inputs (pitch) are still available. This allows you to practice auto-rotations to landing. I believe the correct procedure is to hit throttle hold, take the blades to hard negative collectice to keep the rotors turning as the heli drops, then add positive collective to "flair" the heli to a soft landing just above the ground.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: PilotLight

That's what we've been using here on this Forum. There's actally a third setting not always used on all heli's. Its called "Throttle Hold". What is does is leaves the throttle to the motor off (electric) or idle (gas/glow) and then collective inputs (pitch) are still available. This allows you to practice auto-rotations to landing. I believe the correct procedure is to hit throttle hold, take the blades to hard negative collectice to keep the rotors turning as the heli drops, then add positive collective to "flair" the heli to a soft landing just above the ground.
that would be a cool function...

then I'd just need the balls to try an auto-rotation
Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
osterizer

Ummmm, guys, what's described here are variable throttle and governed modes-- nothing to do with normal or idle-up. Tmmatheny, the second (constant speed) is governed; most beginner to intermediate setups use variable throttle. Governed is a lot smoother to fly and produces much more consistent control response, but can be more involved to set up.

ORIGINAL: tmmatheny

What is the terminology for the 2 different modes of flight - one where the motor is off with throttle cut and advances the throttle and blade pitch as the the throttle is advanced, and the other mode, where the rotor is at a constant speed and the throttle control only changes the blade pitch? (idle up, maybe)
Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Heliko

I thought that too at first Oster, but I think he was actually asking about normal and idle-up modes.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:29 PM
osterizer

Well, OK, but "where the rotor is at a constant speed and the throttle control only changes the blade pitch" is pretty much a definition of governor. Either way, all the definitions are up there now .
Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
ChargedDust

Gotta throw one at ya from the book of old school, "High Idle". Basically the same thing, engine/motor set and held at a high speed and only the collective responds to stick inputs. IIRC high idle was the teaching tool for autorotation, it held the throttle at a speed high enough to establish a hover and when you were practicing the flare out you always had enough head speed so that you didn't bleed off so much RPM that the heli fell to the ground.