Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Futaba radio for heli AND fixed wing

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Futaba radio for heli AND fixed wing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 PM
MMatheny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba radio for heli AND fixed wing

What is a good (not expensive!) Futaba (or maybe JR) radio that will handle fixed wing and heli (with swashplate types, etc.) so I could fly my Axe and my P-51 with he same radio??
Old 08-21-2007, 01:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Futaba radio for heli AND fixed wing

Personally, I'd get a DX7 but if you want Futaba the 6ex 2.4
Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Futaba 6xas. The Hitec Optic 6 should be fairly inexpensive as well as the Futaba 6exa. The old 6xas has mechanical trims so you have to remember to "zero out" the trims before you switch to the next model, otherwise the trims are off and can lead to surprising takeoffs.

I don't know if they make 4 channel computer radios. Doesn't Tower have a 6 channel computer radio that's not too expensive?

Edit: Just checked and it didn't have heli ccpm mixing.

If you get the right radio the first time, you won't end up with 5-6 radios like so many of us long time enthusiasts.

Looks like the Airtronics RD6000 has all the features you need too.

2.4Ghz if you can afford it.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:47 PM
MMatheny

I have a T6XA - no swashplate or eCCPM mixing. I wanted more than 6 channels (darn you, Futaba - put out a fantastic product, then cripple it with 6 channels!)

Does the DX7 have both heli and fixed wing modes? Does it include the mixing required for eCCPM mixing?

Is the Airtronics compatible with Futaba? I know the JR receivers can be switched between positive and negative switch.

What kind of mixing will I need to use with the eCCPM mixing in the Axe (and others)?

Can you answer any more questions I might ask?!?!?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM2710

The above says it has both heli and airplanes. Go to the link and read more about it. Airtronics and Futaba use different signal shifts, so they are not compatible with eachother.

You'll need 120 degree swashplate mixing for the Axe.

Yes, I can answer any question you ask, it just might not be the correct answer.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
MMatheny

"Can you answer any more questions I might ask?!?!? "

I meant can you read my mind and answer them ahead of time??!!

So, I need 120 degree swashplate mixing to emulate the mixing in the Axe transmitter, right!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

hey man, you are fairly new to this, and I'm no expert, but let me throw something at you..

do not go cheap on your transmitter.. you'll regret it later... and here's my story..

I buy an MX400 pro, futaba 6exh and set off to go flying, the radio was to cover my CP also eventually. This is all good, right? WRONG! during the course of the MX build, I ended up with two entire heli's, well, I don't need two that are exactly the same, so the light bulb went off and I figured an Airwolf fuse on the one, with retracts. This is where my little master plan went falling apart...

to have the retracts, I need an additional channel, had I bought the next step up, I wouldn't be looking at replacing all radio gear right now! think it through man, you may say "no" now, but will you continue to? Cheap may be a quick answer, but it may screw you in the long run (I figure I'll pretty much have to give my 6exh away)

oh yeah, it worked this way for cars also... three controllers, and finally I settled on the one I am using now and will continue to use...
Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Heliko

Strat could you just use a 240 on your airwolf and use ch.5 for retracts?

I here ya though. I thought I might go scale too so I went with a 7CHP right away. The mad rush toward spectrum modulation have made them really drop in price. At least on e-bay anyway.

Tmmatheny the first step is to decide what modulation do you want. You say "not expensive" but spectrum systems are expensive. A futaba FASST system or DX6 starts at around $200 and a DX7 is over $300. Spectrum Rx's are more expensive too. As for your programming questions many computerized radios have programming for both helis and planes. My 7CHP for example. I believe the 6EX radios have programming that supports both too, but I'm not sure. Strat would know since he has one. On ebay you can pick up a new 6EX Tx for less than $100. I got my 7C new off ebay for $120 shipped. JR 6 and 7 channel radios can be had for close to the same prices as Futaba on ebay. I just used my Axe's stock Rx with the 7C, but a JR unit requires a new Rx.

Another point is if possible you want to get the heli radio that also works with planes. The reason being the smooth type throttle. The rachet throttle on airplane Tx's can make it difficult to maintain a consistant altitude since the perfect throttle setting for helis frequently falls between rachet clicks. I've heard though at least on Futaba that switching from rachet to smooth is fairly simple. Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
MMatheny

Thanx for the info! Looks like the 7CHP is the box I'm looking for!. I wanted Futaba because I already have a 6XA and flight pack. Also, I have a Hirobo Shuttle Challenge I picked up for $75 with JR RX, servos, engine, and gyro! I plan on buying a JR RS600 to use in the Challenge (change the shift so I can use the 7CHP!), pull the RX in the Challenge out and use it with the JR S400 I got when I joined AMA on something! Also, use the 7CHP with the Axe.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 PM
BarracudaHockey

The 2.4ghz version of the 6ex has both airplane and heli software. The 6exa does NOT. The DX7 has all the software for both.

The 7C is a better radio than either, you will be very happy with it.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
MMatheny

And they're fairly inexpensive. Question - can the 7C be switched between FM and PCM (like my cheapo T6XA!)
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
BarracudaHockey

Yes. Its part of the parameters menu and is set on a per model basis. The only thing you have to remember is you have to cycle power when you change from one to another.

The different versions like the 7chp and 7chf just denotes the defualt modulation and what reciever ships with it if you buy the whole package.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
MMatheny

Thanx - the description seemed to indicate you either bought one mode or the other!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Heliko

One other thing I've heard about using the 7C with the Axe's stock Rx is that the 7C needs to be high band. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it's what I've heard. I did go with a high band 7C just to be safe though of course it doesn't matter if your going to go with a new Rx as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM
MMatheny

By high band do you mean a higher channel? Why not get the same freq. as the Axe??
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
MMatheny

reading about the 7C, one of the dings it received is that it was stated there is no way to have dual servo rudder or elevator support! I can't slave any channel to any other channel? (I would think that would be an inherent feature of this product!) Wouldn't that work for dual servo rudder or elevator??
Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
osterizer

Download the manual from futaba-rc.com (manuals link at the bottom of the page). The 7C has several tail types including delta and v-tail variants, and three user-programmable mixes. It wouldn't be hard to set up dual servo elevator, for example. I think the limitation would be more that you only have 7 channels to work with.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

There's no such thing as a high band transmitter. Just order the channel you need.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
MMatheny

So what did heliko mean by "high band"??
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
[]TEX[]

I use the 7CHP for my helis and planes.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM
MMatheny

That seems to be the general consensus here as far as a great all around system.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
MMatheny

What about the 7C 2.4ghz? Does this one TX have both fixed and rotary programming (that is as comprehensive as the 7CHP?)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:33 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: tmmatheny

What about the 7C 2.4ghz? Does this one TX have both fixed and rotary programming (that is as comprehensive as the 7CHP?)
Same Tx, just 2.4G
Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
BarracudaHockey

Some but not all Futaba recievers are tuned for the upper or lower half of the 72mhz band. The ones tuned for the upper half are "high band" so if you had a transmitter on channel 44 and you needed a reciever you'd buy a high band reciever. They've done away with it lately and everything is center tuned.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 PM
MMatheny

So this doesn't matter if I get a new or relatively new one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.