Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Pinion change - headspeed question

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Pinion change - headspeed question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:32 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion change - headspeed question

guys, I'm thinking I'm going to drop 2 or 3 teeth on the pinion of my MX400 to get it to run cooler. I do realize that this is going to change things for me, it should lower the head speed, correct? what effect (or is it affect) will this have on the way the heli feels?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Orion1024

Default RE: Pinion change - headspeed question

thestratcat,

Depending on how high your headspeed was to begin with, it could reduce the cyclic responsiveness and also reduce the amount of lift. The headspeed V lift was my issue. I've had problems before with motors getting too hot. It could be your pinion is too big, but it could also just be the motor. If you've got a Phoenix ESC I highly recommend the JGF450TH...mine never temps over 110F and everyone else says their 450TH runs cool as well. As for the pinion, I highly recommend using either the ECO8 or Revco pinions...they are steel and basically don't wear out. Several people in the 36 forum are using them (myself included) and no one is reporting any pinion or gear wear yet. Only downside is that you might need to lower your motor down because the pinions are longer than the standard brass ones like Aligns.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Orion1024

Forgot to ask what motor you have, it's KV and what size pinion you were using.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 AM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Orion,

thanks man, I forgot to return a PM to you, I'll try to do that today.. if I don't... I'm thinking of flying this weekend, are you working?

I went ahead and changed the pinion (dropped 2 teeth) and tried it. I ran much cooler, it quit cutting out. I'm using the stock esc/motor for now (actually a new spare) I'll change it over eventually to something else, but I want to upgrade servos in both this one and my 450 first..

Old 08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Orion1024

Yeah, working Sat but off Sun. Sunday looks good if your not doing anything (weather says 'light winds'). What kind of servos do you have on there now? I've been using the $3.50 apiece Hextroniks (model HXT900, same as 9g Tower Pros) for awhile now and they work pretty good with no failures yet. Depending on what you've got on there now those might work for you. They ain't HS-65MGs, but the price is right. The servos come from http://www.unitedhobbies.com They've also got brushless motors like the KA450 for $14. I tried one and had a problem with it, but with my luck maybe I just got the one bad one out of a hundred. It's worth a shot for the price. It's still too early to say with 100% certainty, but the Sonix motor I picked up seems to be solid. It runs cool and seems to have an adequate amount of power. No problems with it yet for a couple of months now. The only thing I noticed with it is that the KV rating seems to be off by maybe 500KV...seems like it's really under 3000KV. Both the KA450 and Sonix motor will work with generic ESCs that can't start certain motors like the JGF450TH. I got the Sonix from XMseller on eBay for $35 shipped...

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250158178896&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015]Sonix 3400KV[/link]

Here's the new tail I picked up...I hope it's a winner!

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250153817039&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015]3DX Tail[/link]