Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Considering an Axe CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Considering an Axe CP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 PM
MiniCwik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an Axe CP

I'm considering getting an Axe CP ... I have a Walkera DF #4 which is a 4 channel Fixed Pitched heli.

The reason I am thinking of an Axe CP is that I want something I can fly outside, is the Axe CP more outdoor/breeze friendly?

What items are prone to failure on these heli's?

I already have a LiPo charger, but what is the preferred size/rating you are all going with?

Thank you,
Mike
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Considering an Axe CP

my opinion - and I'll tell you why I think this way...

I have both the CP and an MX400 (a couple of each, but anyhow)... flying the CP was cool, it flew well with no wind. It flew like hell with anything more than a small breeze...

I finally reasoned that the days that I see that have no breeze are few and far between, that meant flying would be the same... but when I went to the MX400, I can fly in bigger winds and it's more stable.. with that said, I don't have that many absolutely windy days that I can't fly the MX, so... for a few bucks more I at least doubled my flying time!

that's reason 1....

after learning to hover on teh CP, I did alright with it. ONce I got the bigger heli set up, it's 100% easier to fly than the CP is... even now, I'll fly the CP and it looks like I don't know what I'm doing, reach over and fly the MX and it handles great...

by the time you buy the CP, a handful of spares, you will find that you need to add a gyro, esc, etc.. you'll end up with damn near the same money that you'd have in a 400 class heli.. within a few bucks anyhow.. but with the bigger one you'll enjoy the flying much much more!

oh yeah, breakage on teh CP, I've destroyed at least a couple of everything... the MX's... I've had the crashes, the only thing I've really whacked is a couple of feathering spindles and one complete head when I piled it into the ground, this is very very minimal compared to the results I had with my CPs..
Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
MMatheny

you'll end up with damn near the same money that you'd have in a 400 class heli.. within a few bucks anyhow
Few bucks??? The MX400 is $533 at TH, while the Axe is $199 - that's $333, and that is a LOT of Axe parts!!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: MMatheny

you'll end up with damn near the same money that you'd have in a 400 class heli.. within a few bucks anyhow
Few bucks??? The MX400 is $533 at TH, while the Axe is $199 - that's $333, and that is a LOT of Axe parts!!
and I bought my MX450XS for 200 bucks off of here, that included everything except a reciever. With the addition of my 50 dollar reciever and the drive home, I had the sucker up and going before noon..

the axe, in my opinion really needs:
gyro - better figure 125 bucks
batteries - $$$$, my stock ones sucked!
esc's - about another 100 bucks...

with those additions, you've just about hit the cost of a new MX, T-rex or what have ya.... remember I said just about...

and also remember, that few extra bucks at least doubled my flying time (if not more, I just finished flying two packs here at work)

oh yeah, you'll be needing those extra bucks for your CP parts
Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM
MMatheny

Well, you're right about the upgrades - I wish mine had a HH gyro and LiPo batteries! BTW, can you get as good a deal on the T-Rex clones??
Where do you work you can fly there - that sounds yummy!!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
thestratcat

Well, you're right about the upgrades - I wish mine had a HH gyro and LiPo batteries! BTW, can you get as good a deal on the T-Rex clones??
Where do you work you can fly there - that sounds yummy!!

I work for a trucking company... it's actually pretty cool. When it's windy out, I fly in the driver's room next door, or in the office.. otherwise, I grab it out of the car and fly out over the yard and equipment... pretty decent!

I'm a rookie like the rest of you guys... but I've heard good about some of the t-rex clones.. I'm thinking about the 450SA myself, just for a winter project...

oh yeah, big downside of going bigger heli over the CP... I can fly the CP in my living room... if I try lighting off one of the bigger ones, stuff goes flying around off the walls, the dog goes crazy... they just won't work inside..
Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM
MMatheny

A beginner with 4 helis??
Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
thestratcat

A beginner with 4 helis??
hey, I crash a lot!

ok, I bought the one CP, hopped it up, needed parts, ran across the deal on two more, picked them up.. they are donors...

same thing with the 400's... bought the first one, flew it, decided it was kinda cool, ran across the 450 picked it up for a good price and also another 400 for an even better price (100 bucks, shipped w/aluminum head)(the last one is a winter project).
Old 09-26-2007, 04:43 PM
strat1960s

I've heard the same thing about going to a 400 class heli. Much more stable in hover and flight. Between parts cost and shipping, I've already bought the MX400 and everything needed to fly. I hate waiting for parts. But hey, I'm not waiting for parts today! Still no word from the folks at the repair shop.
I do like being able to fly indoors. My days in the KC135 hangar are numbered. I am re-training into a contracting job. I'll only be able to fly my Airhogs Havoc in my office cube.[:@] I'm dying to get my little heli back. I have until late January and then off to the office cube I go.
Hopefully my friends back here in the hangar will let me come in and fly during lunch.

The AXE CP has a lot of good characteristics. For the most part I've had to order parts from Tower Hobbies since the two rc stores in Montana don't carry anything by Heli-Max. Upgrade parts are out there if you look for them.
The Axe CP is best kept indoors. Any wind above 3 to 5 mph will toss the AXE CP around like the SS Minow.
Hope this helps a little.
Ted
Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 PM
MMatheny

Strat1960s - are you a contractor for the Air Force or in the AF? I worked on KC-135s, B-52Ds, and F-4C/Ds between 72-76. Avionics Instrument Tech. My dad was an A&P for many years, so I was always around aircraft, and developed a love I'll never lose!

Stratcat - you must not be married!! My wife has a project to get us out of debt within 2 years, so my playthings are going to suffer badly!!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM
strat1960s

Mike,

Currently I am a Technical Sergeant/special purpose vehicle mechanic in the USAF. The USAF has decided there are too many of us TSgt's in vehicle maintenance, so after 14 years I will retrain into contracting. I head off to school in January. I'll come back to Malmstrom AFB in March. That is why I said my days in the KC-135 hangar are numbered.

Ted
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
HelisRule

Stratcat - you must not be married!! My wife has a project to get us out of debt within 2 years, so my playthings are going to suffer badly!!
Hehe...mine has similar aspirations, but then she runs off to the hairdresser for a foil, or the spa for a manicure/pedicure, or she goes clothes shopping. So I figure I'm still in the black with my heli purchases. It goes something like, "Gee hon, your nails look great! About as great as a new set of rotor blades." She never gets the comparison though. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 AM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: HelisRule

Hehe...mine has similar aspirations, but then she runs off to the hairdresser for a foil, or the spa for a manicure/pedicure, or she goes clothes shopping. So I figure I'm still in the black with my heli purchases. It goes something like, "Gee hon, your nails look great! About as great as a new set of rotor blades." She never gets the comparison though. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
women are like beer cans... get what you need out of them, crack the car window and toss it out when done

nope, not married, building up the toy box so in case the special woman (that can tolerate me) crosses my path.... this way she can never ***** that I bought something... guess what woman? they were here before you, and they'll be here after I throw your butt out the door!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
MiniCwik

Thanks to all, I have decided not to go with the Axe CP ... I will just keep looking for a larger heli as an outside flyer, like the MX400 or similar.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
MMatheny

You guys keep talking about how much better a larger heli handles - I've got a Hirobo Shuttle Challenge sitting upstairs I'm waiting on until I get better to tackle (picked it up for $75 with everything except the TX!) - my Axe could fit in the canopy! The blades are over twice as long as an Axe's! That thing should be a rock in the air compared to my Axe!! Surely don't want to get hit by one of those blades!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
HelisRule

Uh, I wouldn't try that one in the dining room, Mike.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
redvtr1000

I am on the side that you should probably skip the axe step if you really are going to be into heli's. Not a bad place to start and see if its something you want to do though.

Sum up of my opinions (which I think are widely shared).

1. Batteries are horrible, even if you buy 3 of them flight times still suck and charging times are worse. Needs lipo and charger to handle them. That can add at least a couple hundred bucks to your axe. figuring about 100 for a charger and connections and then another hundred for 2 packs or so. What's more is you probably won't be able to transfer those packs to a larger 400 class heli so well because they will again be on the small side. I am using TP 2200s in my mini titan now. 1320s I would have gotten for the axe wouldn't fair so well in the titan.

2. The tail control system is pretty horrible. I see no difference in the adjustment of the gyro gain. Can't make the tail wag though if I turn it all the way down it gets worse and you have to do it all with your left hand. Half the time I feel like I am fighting the tail. So, you need to add a gy240 (or something similar) and an esc. Then the tail motor can fail on you so figure on buying one of those before long as well. I bought a gy 401 instead because it transfers over to a larger heli better.

Even if you did all that to the axe, I still don't think it would warrant all that cash when you looked at the resulting performance. So, you go brushless and add another 150-200 dollars worth of gear. Yuk!

Get a trex or a mini titan and be done with it. Probably does cost more to get running but I didn't go cheap on a lot of things that I could have skimped on and thats why.

da