Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Noob - I'm probably beating a dead horse here... Please Read Anyhow.

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Noob - I'm probably beating a dead horse here... Please Read Anyhow.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
bschott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob - I'm probably beating a dead horse here... Please Read Anyhow.

Hello,

Being a complete newbie to the wonderful sport of RC Heli, my first purchase 3 weeks ago was a Heli-Max AXE CP. That said, I've been through several sets of blades and blade mounts. Today, I just installed the Electrifly C-12 ESC and the Futaby GY240 Gyro as per the hop-up page. Sad thing is that I felt like I took a step back in that I was able to somewhat sucessfully hover before the gyro, and now I've been wasting my time trying to adjust this gyro and dealing with the 3-n-1 factory setup.

I've read through some of the the other posts and see good info, but nothing which is extremely helpful.

Here's my setup:

3-n-1:

Top POT centered
Middle Pot: Who knows, need this adjusted.
Bottom Pot: all the way off.

Gyro: again Who knows, struggling, AVCS is off though for time being and control is reversed as per HeliMax pdf.
Gyro arms like discussed in manual so I know that it's there.

Heli, is everywhere and I'm unable to get it to maintain any heading, where as It was "OK" to deal with before the Gyro was controlling the rear.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

On my bench is a brand new Trex-450SA w/JR 7202. JR PG500T Gyro, and JRPS3400P Mini Digital Tail Servo waiting for assembly.

But I'd rather get my "break-in" time on the Axe...
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
bio_red

Default RE: Noob - I'm probably beating a dead horse here... Please Read Anyhow.

What is the gyro sensitivity set at?? Way to sensitive will make the tail "wag" back and forth somtimes quite a bit if set near 100%
Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 AM
123Splat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noob - I'm probably beating a dead horse here... Please Read Anyhow.

Bschot,

Once you installed the 240, you eliminated any adjustment on the 3-in-1. The only thing you are getting out of the 3-in-1 now is ESC for the Main motor and BEC supply to the xmitr and servos.

You are wasting time running the 240 in Yaw rate mode. switch on the vector control and work on adjusting 240 gain.
The 240 won't work worth a damn, if you don't have enough vibration insullation. Use at least two (2) layers of the foam tape (3 would be better) between the gyro and the boom mounting area (assuming that's where you mounted it, If you tried to mount it in the pod below the boom mount, pull it and put it back on top of the boom mount. In the pod puts it too close to the motor, EMF jams up the gyro).

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Start with gain at about 70-75%. no response increase gain, tail wag, decrease gain very little.
You'll get better results by removing batt power and then returning batt power (re-init the 240) after every adjustment.

Make the adjustment with the tail pointing away from you. Hold the bird by the landing skids with the tail pointing away. Power down, power back up, allow 240 to initialize, rearm tail ESC. Leave throttle at zero. slowly wag the tail to your left then right. As soon as you move left, you should have tail motor on. As you return to the right, you should see the tail motor stop as you pass the original position.

when that works, try a slow lift off. the bird should try to correct. You should be able to fly with a little wag. If it's too much, move the 240 gain down JUST A HAIR. re-do the above and try again.

Luck,
Splat
Old 10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
bschott

Thanks guys.

I've been all over on the gyro settings. Right now I've got a bent feathering rod, so I's back to towerhobbies.

The gyro was installed above the boom on that little surface area with 1 pad of 2 sided tape. I can doubleup as it sounds like that's the way to go.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM
123Splat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bschott

Thanks guys.

I've been all over on the gyro settings. Right now I've got a bent feathering rod, so I's back to towerhobbies.

The gyro was installed above the boom on that little surface area with 1 pad of 2 sided tape. I can doubleup as it sounds like that's the way to go.
one pad definitely NOT enough (that's what I did first time out). Use, at least, two, but I advise all three. Then, loosely run a piece of electrical tape from side of gyro, under pod boom mount, to other side of gyro, then run another loop of e-tape arount the sides of the gyro (to wrap over the ends of the first loop), this will give you a little security for the gyro, if the foam tape gives way.

I've never lost one (that way) in forward flight, but I still 'land' rather hard and have shaken my new one loose a time or two.

Splat