Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

New Servo's, don't fit?!

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

New Servo's, don't fit?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Shadow99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Servo's, don't fit?!

Got some new goodies for my AXE CP! My girl went out and got me 3 Futaba S3114's (Spd:.09sec/60' Torq:23.5ozin/6v Wt:0.27oz),not sure what the "catch" is yet, but who cares!
Pulled them out of the boxes, was ready to swap out those crappy stock servos, and guess what, they almost fall in[]. Even the stock screws (with the built in washer), don't fit inbetween the servo ear & body. What a bummer![:@][:@] At 1st I was excited, now I pissed[:'(]! Didn't think a stronger servo would be smaller in size.
Guess I gotta make some servo mounts, to shift the Futaba's to one-side of the original frame mounts. What do you guys think? Nylon mounts or aluminum, nylon would be nearly the same as the frame itself, aluminum would be stiffer.

Rick
Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
strat1960s

Default RE: New Servo's, don't fit?!

Rick,
Will shifting your servos from one side or another cause the linkages to be off center?

Maybe your girl planned this the whole time. Maybe she's plotting a shopping spree and wanted you out of the house and in the garage so she and her friends can plot and plan. Maybe....... girls are so un-predictable.

Ted
Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I know one thing, Futaba servos typically rotate opposite of hitecs and the stock axe servos appear to be unlabled hitecs so verify all your control directions BEFORE you test fly it, I got burned once before by that very issue, lucky I found it on pre-flight.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Shadow99

Hey Guys,

If I shift the S3114's toward the main shaft, the center-line between the stock servos & the Futaba's with be the same. Servo depth (from the servo ears to the servo horn), is only a .008" difference (almost nothing).
It's the length of the S3114's that is the issue, the OEM length is 1.285" (S3114 is 1.155"), distance between mounting ears OEM 1.125" (S3114 is 1.000"), width of OEM .460" (S3114 is .445"), darn close in width. Maybe I'll fab together a plywood ear, to check the fit on everything, before I mill up the extensions from round stock[:@] (P.I.T.A.), not a piece of flat stock plastic or aluminum to be had anywhere at work, all round stuff[:'(]!

Ted,
I said, "my girl went out and (yada,yada,yada)..." not that she accually LIVES HERE[X(]! Are you nuts! [sm=bananahead.gif]
That would destroy the MAN-TOWN that took 7yrs to build so far, how many of you can build/work on/repair your heli on the kitchen table (and leave it there), without hearing the yelling of your (wife/girlfriend), saying clean up your mess, while your drinking a brew & watching football! When she starts that, I send her home, "you have a house too, go home and clean it, leave mine alone!!! Last time she cleaned up my house with my mother, it tooks weeks to locate were they put everything!! And I still don't know what she's up too?! []
BH,
I checked the servo direction (OEM vs S3114), by checking a servo (one at a time) unplug OEM, plug in S3114. Only the left side ailerion is backwards, and can be reversed on the TX. So if the adapters I'm gonna make work, it should perform great. Only time will tell.

Thanks Guys,
Rick