Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Axe EZ questions for the experts

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe EZ questions for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM
FishingSETX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe EZ questions for the experts

Alright a few questions for the pros.

1.) While in hover, my Axe EZ will jerk every once in a while and spin the tail about 90 degrees quickly. I also have alot of tail wag. Any ides on what could cause this? It doesnt do it often, only about once in two batteries, but it can get annoying quick. Ive never crashed hard so I dont think anything is broken/bent (I havent even repaced a blade yet).

2.) Also, Ive gotten to the point of flying around the livingroom, but any time I try to go through a doorway, the heli pulls back in rev like I have it at full stick, but it is in full forward. Im pretty sure this is due to prop wash, but can you give me some tips on countering this?

3.) I have 2 holes in the servo linkage. If I place the linkage rod in the outer hole, will that give the heli more manuverability? Right now I am going from center to about 3/4 stick and the heli just drifts slowly.

This is getting way too addicting!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Shadow99

Default RE: Axe EZ questions for the experts

I don't consider myself an expert, by any means and I have never owned a co-axial, but I'd say that your tail jerking is caused my a glitch in one of the speed controls for one of the main rotors, a sudden torque change will cause tail wag. It could be a bad wire connection from the control board to the motors, I'd check those.
Rotor-wash, as provided by your twin-rotors, will definitly affect response & performace. I've flown my AXE CP indoors alot lately, in a 8x10 area with 7ft ceilings, as the heli gets closer to the ceiling it almost SUCKS itself to it (I've got some touch-up painting to do).
As far as your servo horn positioning, if you want MORE swashplate movement (cyclic), move the linkages farther out on the horn, this will INCREASE your travel, moving them IN, reduces amount of travel.

Shadow
Old 12-31-2007, 11:49 PM
FishingSETX

Thanks for the reply. I moved them to the outside hole and man that made a difference. I can actually fly outside in a slight breeze now. Im going to adjust the gyro gain to try to correct the tail wag and while im i there, Im going to check the connections. Im getting more and more addicted every time I fly the thing!!! I can hover almost stationary now. The only problem I have is when I give the heli slight adjustments, it tends to move down but if im not mistaken, that is normal for a coaxial. If I can correct the tail wag, then that will help ALOT. It seems like every time I get the trim set on the tail rotation, it changes on me so maybe turning down the gain on the gyro will help.

BTW Ive been through 3 batteries and havent had the tail jerk around on me so maybe it was just a glitch. Im guessing I moved the heli while the gyro was initializing. I am still getting constant tail wag though.

Also, after moving the servo linkage, I am able to fly it aroud the living romm, through doorways, and down the hall. The only problems I have with this Im pretty sure are linked to my inexperiance (keeping a constant heading). I think the problems I had was not enough cyclic due to the short linkage position.

Im already practicing spot landings and now if I could just get used to orienteering I would be set (I still cant keep good control over the heli unless the tail is pointing at me!)[:@][8D]
Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Shadow99

I'm glad everthing worked out for you! Learning NOSE IN flying is the toughest thing to learn, I'm still practicing myself, and that's pretty much all it is practice, practice, practice.
Have you tried reducing the GYRO rate, a lower rate will reduce the wag, but may increase tail drifting, I run my GY240 around 35% it's enough to stabilize the tail but not make it wag.

Shadow
Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
FishingSETX

ORIGINAL: Shadow99

Have you tried reducing the GYRO rate, a lower rate will reduce the wag, but may increase tail drifting, I run my GY240 around 35% it's enough to stabilize the tail but not make it wag.

Shadow
I plan on giving that a shot this evening. Batteries are charging right now!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
FishingSETX

Turned the gain down slightly (about1/8 turn) and the tail went nuts. Had to stop and turn it back to factory. still having tail wag problems. Im going to lube everything up and see if that helps. My main problem with the tail wag is that the heli just doesnt want to hold a heading. I adjust the trim and it stays rock steady for about 30 sec. then starts to wander right or left. Maybe this is normal and I just need to learn to correct it with the stick.