Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

GYRO POSITION ON HELI-MAX MX400 PRO?

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

GYRO POSITION ON HELI-MAX MX400 PRO?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 AM
SaCCaL72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GYRO POSITION ON HELI-MAX MX400 PRO?

Where is the best location to mount the gyro on the Heli-Max MX400 Pro? I know the manual says in the center of the chassis but they also say on the tail boom, which is better? What difference would it make on either location? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Lew L

Default RE: GYRO POSITION ON HELI-MAX MX400 PRO?

I'm probably not qualified to answer this as I'm new here. Some people fear that the flybar could come down and strike the gyro in a crash if mounted on the tail boom. I think mounting it inside the frame offers the most protection but makes it harder to adjust if necessary. I'm building an MX400 and I'm going to mount mine in the frame under the main shaft.

I have a related question also. Can I temporarily mount it on the tail boom for set up and then move it to the other location without changing any settings?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
SaCCaL72

Thanks for your response, but I am totally new at this stuff. In the process of building it, just about done and I have no idea how to program my radio and what I should be looking for when I do get it running. Probably not a good idea to start it up until I can talk to someone on how things should be set up. I am just trying to learn as I go, but not getting to many responses to questions I have asked and not sure why. Thanks again and I hope someone can answer your question.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Lew L

Try this link. The Finless videos are invaluable. You just have to register to download.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 PM
osterizer

SaCCal, sorry if you're not finding the answers you need. Specifically to the gyro question, a number of us, me included have tried different positions. The inside-the-body position seems in theory that it would work the best, but several, also including me, have had problems with it there. I put mine back on the platform over the boom and it's worked perfectly ever since. Yes, it's potentially exposed to damage from the flybar in a hard, flailing crash, but a lot of people fly that way and few have had that happen in comparison.

Yes, you can move the gyro around as you like without messing up most of the trims, although you may have to readjust the gain.

If you can go over the heli with a heli person who flies helis, either at the LHS or a club, that will get you the best, fastest answers. Short of that, do take a look at Finless' videos- he covers a lot of material. If you're still stuck on something, post back or pm me.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Lew L

osterizer,

The gain is what I was concerned about. Once it's mounted in the heli it looks to be impossible to adjust. I don't have the gyro yet (Futaba GY401), It'll be here today so I'll figure it out then.

Thanks

Lew
Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
osterizer

The GY401 adjusts the gain through channel 5 (usually) on the radio- it has no adjustment pot on the gyro itself for gain. You adjust limit and delay on the gyro, but those shouldn't change from moving it around.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Lew L

ORIGINAL: osterizer

The GY401 adjusts the gain through channel 5 (usually) on the radio- it has no adjustment pot on the gyro itself for gain. You adjust limit and delay on the gyro, but those shouldn't change from moving it around.
That what I thought after downloading the 401 manual. I have a Futaba 7CHP and it does that function.

Thanks again,

Lew

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM
SaCCaL72

Thank you osterizer, I have decided to move it to the boom, with the little tray they sell for it; it fits perfect. Now to figure out how to program my radio, I am so lost with this... Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
osterizer

Well, good luck, man. Give it a good thinking through, read the manual, plug up the servos and see how they work. You can usually figure it out that way, but if not, c'mon back .

hint: the left and right side servos, it doesn't matter which way you plug them in- if they don't agree with the radio you just switch the AFR from positive to negative or vice versa .
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

On my MX400 Pro I mounted the gyro UNDER the tail boom
close to the main frame. I made my own mount. The gyro
hangs upside down and works perfectly.

Just my .02 cents worth.

AB
Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

I see tower hobbies discontinued the MX400