Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

New Main Motor & ESC for AXE CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

New Main Motor & ESC for AXE CP

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
slotdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Main Motor & ESC for AXE CP

It's getting better every flight, I was thinking of replacing the main motor for a better one and adding a ESC, any suggestions would be appreciated. I have the gyro 240 and ESC modification suggested by HeliMax. I know people on this forum encourage not to spend to much fixing up the AXE CP and just upgrade to a TREX but I don't mind, I will upgrade this spring.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Shadow99

Default RE: New Main Motor & ESC for AXE CP

If you think the main motor is weak, than I would just replace it with another stock motor, and brushed ESC (GP C-25, or equivent). Unless you want to spend the money on a BL motor & ESC. You just can't mix the two, it's either a brushed setup or BL.

Rick
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM
slotdr

Where can I find directions for the brushed ESC (GP C-25, or equivent),
Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Shadow99

Adding a separate ESC to the main motor is as simple as removing the 3in1 plug at the RX, plug in the new ESC where the 3in1 was (it's positon 3 on the RX), hook up the main motor wires, solder the power wires to your battery connector, power up & ARM the ESC as required (per ESC model).
I originally had an EvoFlight 20 ESC running my main motor in my AXE CP, but switched to a Castle Creations Pegasus 35P instead. The EVO 20 worked fine & was inexpensive, but didn't let me know if it was ARMED (No flashing LED, or beeps), so it was a guessing game with the throttle to see if it was ready to go. The Great Planes Electri-Fly C-25 will work too (and it beeps for arming), but it has an Auto-Cutoff at low battery, not good on the main motor.
The Castle Creations Pegasus 35P is a little large for the AXE CP (stuffed mine under the gyro inside the frame), big 12 gauge wires feed the ESC and the motor. It draws more current off the battery so you'd need to upgrade your battery to a 20c rating. All of the ESC's are available at Tower Hobbies.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38320.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	847608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16345.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	847609