Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

New Axe CP Owner

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

New Axe CP Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM
hajile1997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Axe CP Owner

I just wanted to drop a post to get some additional info on this micro heli. I searched and found lots of info. However Idid want to know is there anything I need to do foremost when I get this Heli?

I am a nitro Rc Monster Truck guy and have no experience with Heli's at all. I got one on Tower's site and it appears to be a good deal so far.....

Any suggestions...

Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: New Axe CP Owner

If this is your first heli, you may have to get a simulator. Or if you can afford it start with a fixed pitch heli. I have owned and Axe and it is not a great heli to learn on.

With that being said it is possible, with the help of some ood pilots and taking your time slowly.

Have you flown it yet?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

I disagree. Its a great helicopter to learn on. It gets you into the air as soon as practical, teaches you how to work on and upgrade the mechanics, and can even teaches mild 3D and inverted flight.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
hajile1997

havent flown it yet but will try this weekend....It was recommended to me as a good first heli
Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
ImLearnin

My suggestion is that you visit your local hobby shop and buy some small wheel locking collars and put them on your flybar to slow down the extremely nervous nature of the Axe CP. There are plenty of resources out there on ways to get started and unless you have plenty of spare money and like to fix small plastic parts I would strongly suggest time on a simulator before you actually spin up the blades. Also, go buy yourself a set of plastic training blades as the $22 wood blades usually last for one minor crash and you will crash many times before mastering a heli. I have hundreds of hours of stick time on fixed wing and it took me weeks and ~20 crashes before I could hover for a battery and land it without damage. And that was with a simulator trainer. Take a look at some of my other posts for a simulator cable that will work with your Axe. The standard cable will not work as the transmitter with the axe does the mixing in the transmitter and that confuses the simulator software.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PilotLight

I disagree. Its a great helicopter to learn on. It gets you into the air as soon as practical, teaches you how to work on and upgrade the mechanics, and can even teaches mild 3D and inverted flight.

Yeh thats it, read a book on it and no simulator time. Bring a bag with you on your first flight to put all the pieces in.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM
hajile1997

I guess this forum is more serious than I thought...This is just something to pass the time when I cant run my trucks so I wont be getting a simulator that costs more than the heli I bought....

I have broken many trucks learning what to do and how to drive so to me that is a part of the hobby. I didnt mean to cause such a furor about this and thanks for those that responded......
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: hajile1997

I guess this forum is more serious than I thought...This is just something to pass the time when I cant run my trucks so I wont be getting a simulator that costs more than the heli I bought....

I have broken many trucks learning what to do and how to drive so to me that is a part of the hobby. I didnt mean to cause such a furor about this and thanks for those that responded......
Its not the forum, I think the hobby is more serious than you thought. It definitely aint no R/C car.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

Haj, wasn't it you who started out with "Any suggestion?" Actualy you have gotten a lot of good advice here. Try the Radd's lessons if you want a chance of your machine surviving.

Trucks and helis have about 1 thing in comon. They both use radios. This is a completely diffent discipline that land, water or fixed wing based machines. If you choose not to follow the advice given, that is clearly your right. Let us know how it goes or when you want to sell a cheap box of parts. Doc
Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 PM
hajile1997

There were a couple of comments given so if I choose to follow one and not the other that is fine. I didnt know you were the one who was responsible for telling me what my rights are....

My point is there is too much negativity on forums esp this one. No need for the cheap smart remark as I never said anything to you in the first place......
Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Shadow99

Hajile,
Don't let the remarks of others bother you, the AXE CP is a good Entry-Level Heli. I'm also a Nitro R/C truck guy, boat guy, fixed-winger guy. If you can work on your trucks, than the AXE CP shouldn't be a problem. This is my 2nd real e-heli (if you don't qualify the Heli-Havoc), 1st was a fixed pitch micro (HM Rotofly), then I jumped to the AXE CP & have been with it ever since, no simulator. Why play a video game when you can crash the real thing, fix it & crash it again.

Shadow
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
hajile1997

ORIGINAL: Shadow99

Hajile,
Don't let the remarks of others bother you, the AXE CP is a good Entry-Level Heli. I'm also a Nitro R/C truck guy, boat guy, fixed-winger guy. If you can work on your trucks, than the AXE CP shouldn't be a problem. This is my 2nd real e-heli (if you don't qualify the Heli-Havoc), 1st was a fixed pitch micro (HM Rotofly), then I jumped to the AXE CP & have been with it ever since, no simulator. Why play a video game when you can crash the real thing, fix it & crash it again.

Shadow
Thanks Bro, that is exactly what I feel. If it does break fix it....at least that is our mantra right!? Thanks man for saying something mature, respectful and positive.......
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
dockman2

Yeah dont let those responses bother you. Ive been a "car" guy for 20yrs myself. When a buddy and I got into flying planes everyone at the field told us you Have to have someone train you on a buddy box or you will crash and be going home with a box of pieces. I didnt let it bother me. I told my buddy "no guts, no glory" and put it in the air and just did it. It wasnt long before those guys where watching us and telling people to watch these guys. We flew better than they did!
If your scared to crash then you need to quit because everyone does. Dont let it stop you. The Radd school may be a good way to go. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 PM
hajile1997

Thanks bro....no guts no glory......I like that!!!! I will keep you posted....
Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In todays RC world we have the training tools readily available begging to be used and it's a shame not too. Simulators can range from $20 to several hundred. I have the $20 setup and it teaches you exactly what you need to know.

http://www.xheli.com/cosi.html
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
dockman2

Usually I dont like someone plugging their products but I have to say this is a different case. For $20 bucks that is a deal. I had the Real Flight sim and its good. From your demo it looks like the graphics are not as good but graphics dont teach you the controls or how to fly. I actually got bored with Real Flight and couldnt believe how much money I had in it so I sold it. I may have to order your sim just to get the stick time on those bad weather days.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:16 AM
douglas4

Ya dont let the posts against the axe cp bother you I have to agree with the others. I went straight for the axe cp...no sim...no fp helis. Just my havoc then the the axe cp. Sure i crashed fixed and crashed again. its all part of the hobby if you want to fly one of these contraptions. I can hover with no problems right now. I spool up and get off the floor and away I go hovering with ease and confidence. In fact the axe right now is the only heli for me by choice. I dont want anything else nor will i buy anything else. well except the new hirobo "quark" coming out around march. But I have to have another axe cp before that with lipos and spare parts. might I suggest though the following up grades:

1) blade cp paddles
2) 1/16" wheel collars on the flybar right next to the paddles to dumb the cyclic
3) "boyle" knitting needle tail boom (wal mart)
4) hs-55 servos
5) Trex SA skids and supports
6) electrifly 950 mah 11.1v lipos

Stick with the stock wood blades and stock plastic parts till you are good @ hovering and flying circuits. Then the sky is the limit on what you want to do or upgrade later. Oh ya get some spare blade grips they seem to be the weak spot in a crash. The grips break before anything else. when helis crash there is alot of kenetic energy involved and the grips are like an insurance policy against breaking other rotor head parts and such. good luck and enjoy your axe cause I love mine.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 AM
hajile1997

ORIGINAL: douglas4

Ya dont let the posts against the axe cp bother you I have to agree with the others. I went straight for the axe cp...no sim...no fp helis. Just my havoc then the the axe cp. Sure i crashed fixed and crashed again. its all part of the hobby if you want to fly one of these contraptions. I can hover with no problems right now. I spool up and get off the floor and away I go hovering with ease and confidence. In fact the axe right now is the only heli for me by choice. I dont want anything else nor will i buy anything else. well except the new hirobo "quark" coming out around march. But I have to have another axe cp before that with lipos and spare parts. might I suggest though the following up grades:

1) blade cp paddles
2) 1/16" wheel collars on the flybar right next to the paddles to dumb the cyclic
3) "boyle" knitting needle tail boom (wal mart)
4) hs-55 servos
5) Trex SA skids and supports
6) electrifly 950 mah 11.1v lipos

Stick with the stock wood blades and stock plastic parts till you are good @ hovering and flying circuits. Then the sky is the limit on what you want to do or upgrade later. Oh ya get some spare blade grips they seem to be the weak spot in a crash. The grips break before anything else. when helis crash there is alot of kenetic energy involved and the grips are like an insurance policy against breaking other rotor head parts and such. good luck and enjoy your axe cause I love mine.

Thanks for the info sir.This is def what I needed. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: hajile1997

To some this is a hobby, and to others its a toy. Like everything else, you get out of it what you invest in it. Can't gaurantee success for you, but I know I really enjoy the challenge of getting this thing into the air successfully. Even the unsuccessful flights can be entertaining.

Yeah, I used FMS sim to help learn nose in, but the Axe still acted differently and you still have to experience the real thing and learn from your mistakes (crashes).

These posts can have different meanings to different people. Read them again after a couple beers and they don't seem so serious. Although, after tequila everybody seems pissed.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:22 PM
douglas4

I agree totally with pilotlight. The axe cp "for me", is nothing but a relaistic r/c heli toy...nothing more...nothing less. Other opinions may differ. It has the realistic r/c heli capabilities of the big boys, but yet. retains that toy'ish quality. It's a hobby and shouldn't stress you out its supposed to relax you. When I started this hobby I wanted one of every heli I seen. I couldn't make up mind from one day to the next what the hell I wanted. I searched them all from one end of the internet to the other and read all the forums daily. I have no life so I have the time to read. So I'm pretty up to date on it all, and know whats out there and how it all works. I'm still torn most days, to bling or not to bling the dam thing and go all out. Then I stop myself and say with the money spent I could have gotten a better heli, but then I stop myself again and say they are way complicated for my tastes and I'm back to square one again, wanting more and going against my better judgement and what I want out of the heli hobby. It's a vicious circle. But recently I have resigned myself to the fact that: 1). I fly alone 2). I don't belong to a club 3). I fly indoors and all I ever really wanted was a toy heli and the axe cp has provided me with that and more. With that in mind I'm keeping my axe cp and gonna bling it and CF the heck out of it, cause, I know I'll have a dam good heli to play with thats durable and resiliant and give me what I'm looking for in this hobby. I'm even planning on buying a second with Lipos to use for my current axe cp and keep the heli for spare parts if and when needed. Money well spent from my stand point. So to the new guy above, keep your axe cp and enjoy it cause its one fine trainer heli with lots of room to grow and expand on it. If you want to go further then the internet is the limit and so are helis now a days. good luck.