Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Tail Wag on AXE CP with Gyro 240

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Tail Wag on AXE CP with Gyro 240

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
slotdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Wag on AXE CP with Gyro 240

Hi all, just tried to search for a solution to this problem, my AXE CP starts to WAG sometimes about 6ft off the ground,and sometimes it doesn't, what should I be looking at? How tight should the tail gear be against motor gear? Thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
MMatheny

Default RE: Tail Wag on AXE CP with Gyro 240

Maybe your gain is a touch too high
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
slotdr

Thanks,I'll adjust it. but I think that maybe it's not the tail but it seems sometimes the hole
Heli wobbles when I increase the speed, what can that be ?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Shadow99

Don't set-up the gear mesh too tight, the motor will not last long, and you'll lose battery life. The tail motor pinion & tail gear should have a little bashlash.
Did you set-up the GY240 with AVS OFF, start with the GAIN around 45%, turn OFF gyro system, switch AVS ON, test fly again. If the tail drifts, land, disable system, adjust GAIN 5% at a time. Your looking for the happy-medium, of the tail not drifting, if you go too high on the GAIN, the tail will wag (fighting to hold position).

Shadow
Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 PM
slotdr

made the adjustments and it is fine for a few minutes then it wobbles then I fly it again and it wobbles, changed main shaft and gear, no help.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Wag sounds like a gyro gain adjustment problem. Wobbles sounds like a vibration problem or tracking problem. So which is it, wags or wobbles (spits or swallows)?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM
slotdr

well the WAG is the tail making the Heli wobble. For some reason when I arm my gyro 240 the tail blades does spin at a low rpm like it used to but if I turn the heli to simulate wind it start right up. Last week i was having stable hovering and this week not so with no changes. Is there a hobby store on the net that you can buy a T REX and you add all parts on line and they put it together for you with a good transmitter??? so it is ready to FLY
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Shadow99

Slotdr,

I'm starting to wonder if it is even a tail/gyro issue. You say the heli "WOBBLES," that sounds like a head-vibration issue to me.

Have you checked the following: Flybar Paddles at zero degrees, Flybar balanced, Main blades not too tight in blade grips, bent Feathering spindle, or damaged O-ring dampners. Anything out-of-whack on the head will cause the heli to wobble.
Tail WAG, is the gyro fighting to hold a heading, but it shouldn't cause the heli to wobble, no matter how high the gain is set.

Rick
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
slotdr

Rick, thanks so much for the feed back, I'll take it all apart today and check, I did add the cp flybars last week as a suggestion from the forum, I just don't want to give up yet, when I was hovering last week I was on top of the world. Once again thanks for your quick feed back
Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 PM
PilotLight

If there is a way to get some video on here we could give more feedback. I have a hard time imagining how the tail could cause the whole heli to "wobble". I'd like to see what you are trying to describe.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
slotdr

It's a little windy today in Las Vegas but changed feathering spindle and tried in the garage and no wobble yet, with the Gyro 240 adjustments are from 0 to 100, with the Heli facing away from me if the tail goes left do I increase or decrease

Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Shadow99

Use your TRIM Button (left or right), if heli constantly goes in the same direction. With the AVS switched ON, the tail may slightly drift in crosswinds, but should hold a fair heading. Your manual that came with the Futaba GY240 specifies that. I have a PDF of it if you need a copy of it.
The GAIN adjust's the sensitivity of the gyro's reaction to tail movement or yaw, therefore the higher the percentage of gain set (above 75%), will make the tail wiggle (caused by the speeding & slowing down of the tail motor, trying to hold the nose still).

Rick
Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 PM
slotdr

OK here is the video,not very long but the heli looks like a bucking bronco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Scs2ZNpbE
Old 01-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Shadow99

That is a WOBBLING Heli!

Not much time at 7 second flight, but from what I just saw I'd DEFINATELY say you have a MAJOR VIBRATION ISSUE! It looked to me like the rotor head is a point of the wobbling & the tail is just going along for the ride. I wonder if your main shaft is bent, it seems like the wobbling starts when the rotor gets up to speed.
Remove the linkages that connect the swashplate to the flybar stabilizer, unbolt the centerhub and remove the rotorhead, using a straight-edge check the mainshaft for any bends at 6 different points on the shaft. You can also check this by running the main motor, it should run true, if the shaft runs-out more than .005" that could be your issue. Don't forget what we discussed eariler about balencing the rest of the rotorhead componets, bent flybar, out-of-balence flybar assembly, will also cause wobbling issues.
Having the training gear on the AXE CP will also cause gyrations, the downwash from the blades, bouncing off the balls causes them to bounce, which intern causes the heli to bounce. If you can hover, then land without tipping the heli over, you shouldn't need the training gear anymore, it won't help you if you crash land from 10 ft. It is the hardest thing to overcome, removing the training gear (most noobie's security blanket), but the heli will BEHAVE so much better.

Rick
Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
PilotLight

It looks like the swashplate (and therefore the whole heli) is tilting nose up and nose down. Is the front servo bad?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:18 PM
slotdr

I have a new main shaft that I will replace tomorrow and A servo from my FIRST AXE CP that is used for parts now,Thanks guys for the quick response

Joey