Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

MX 450 XS or Blade 400

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

MX 450 XS or Blade 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
98 c-5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX 450 XS or Blade 400

Help me out, Which one?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 PM
osterizer

Default RE: MX 450 XS or Blade 400

Help us out, what do you want to do?

You've been flying the MX400, so you already have an MX and radio equipment. If you want to go to 2.4, the B400 comes with a Spektrum DX6i, which is by all accounts a decent radio. If you're happy with your current equipment, though, and you want to move up from the MX400, think MiniTitan E325. If you're not after the radio you get with the Blade, the MiniTitan is a better heli than either of them.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
dooleyje

I have flown the B400 and it flies great. Great 3D. As with all helis including the Mini Titan there will be problems cropping op. Yeah I said it. The Trex and the E325 have problems too, Pages of them. Not just the MX450. The 450 has a few minor problem such as the tail slider but is fixed with a $10 change. Its funny how folks will push what they are currently flying till a problem rings out with it. No offense to anybody. For the price of the MX450 I went with it and like it very much. I plan to put a scale body on it. To answer your question 98-c5 go with what you can offord for the manner in which you are wanting to fly. My other half of cent : the E325, Trex, MX450, CopterX, HDX450 , Blackhawks etc. will give you great pleasure. Just remember they are not perfect and never will be till you have them flying as YOU want them to fly.

Jim
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

I have both...
The Blade 400 is back at Horizon due to a tail vibration issue. It flies soft and will be okay for basic flight and mild loops and such.
The servos are the weak point.
The MX450XS is a much better heli. The tail slider is a problem though. If you already have the electrics, I would go for the Helimax.
The drawback is parts availability. Make sure to go over EVERY screw with locktight and use red on the small screws at the flybar.
Gotta love the BLING BLING and the price is awesome. $129.99 ($149 -$20) I may buy another for a spare
I bought the Blade because I wanted to go 2.4 with my radio. Now the radio is with the heli at Horizon and the MX450 is grounded.
(sold my old radio)

You will be happy with either....I am
Just be ready to work on both
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM
dooleyje

Sorry to hear of the tail vibration. The 400 I tested was silky smooth. Yes my skills are limited in hyper 3D. The cyclic and power was very nice and more than just rolls and loops. Our resident 3D guy rung it out and all he said was the gyro is not like the Fut611 he is used too and blows out at some manuvers. Just shows you that all brands will have their little problems On the MX450 I just replaced the tail slider for one from the TrexSA and bought several packs of 2mmx4 and 2mmx6 socket heads. A few bucks to fix.
My Trex blew the tail rotor box apart on first flight. The bottom screw tang broke off. So I replaced it with the one in the crash kit and still have spare parts for later. 50 flights later and the tail box is still ok.

So hang in there and solve what ever problems you may have. Besides, if it were easy we would not want to do it. Get what your feelings tell you and you pocket book.

JIM
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
98 c-5

ORIGINAL: osterizer

You've been flying the MX400, so you already have an MX and radio equipment. If you want to go to 2.4, the B400 comes with a Spektrum DX6i, which is by all accounts a decent radio. If you're happy with your current equipment, though, and you want to move up from the MX400, think MiniTitan E325. If you're not after the radio you get with the Blade, the MiniTitan is a better heli than either of them.

I had to return the MX 400 PRO to Tower Due to a missing parts in the head gear.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

Maybe I should rephrase my post.......
Out of the box the B400 was soft. I did add some through to the swash and it seemed better. I have not really flown mine much.
I think the Blade is a good heli. Just for the $ the MX450xs has a lot to offer......

Either one will be a fine addition......
Good luck
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
osterizer

ORIGINAL: 98 c-5
ORIGINAL: osterizer

I had to return the MX 400 PRO to Tower Due to a missing parts in the head gear.
Didn't know that, sorry it didn't work out. Still, same comment- the B400 looks and sounds like it's a good bird if you're not too demanding for flight, and the radio's a heck of a selling point at that price. You may also find some LHS' are marking it down to move it- mine are finding that the expected wave of demand at full price isn't showing up .

My MX450s have soldiered along through the year or so I've had them with nary a complaint- I like them a lot, but they take some tweaking usually to get exactly right. With that attention, they're some of the smoothest helis out there, and a lot stronger than the Blade. I point out the MT because it's a bit easier to get tuned up, and it's a lot more capable aerobatically, but the MX does all the normal aerobatics, and hover/slow cruise are a bit easier.

Still depends on what you're looking for
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 PM
fried412

Hello, I purchased a mx450xs as my first heli. I am very excited and have been having some problems and would like some help. The tail slider is sticking and i don't know how to fix it. I read about replacing it with another tail but have no idea how to order that other tail and exactly what pieces i should order. Is there a fix for the one i have? I tried powdered teflon, it didn't work i tried removing some material from the shaft w/ 1500 grit sand paper and it made things worse so i had to buy a new shaft and i'm back to square one.

Another thing I was wondering is how the paddles on the ends of the flybar are supposed to be set up? I accidentally moved them both and there is no refrence on their position. I just put them both as straight as i could but, am un sure is that is correct.
I appreciate any help and look foward to hovering this thing sometime soon. thanks, jeff.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM
osterizer

fried312- there are solutions to sticky tail issues in the MX450 thread. I just used dry graphite to break it in and it worked. If you want to get a different one, there are a slew of options, since the MX is the same size as a TRex 450 and can take advantage of a lot of the subassemblies the aftermarket offers for that heli. If you want to keep costs down, the plastic tail unit for the TR 450XL is a good choice at about $20 for the entire tail unit (check helidirect). On the other end of the spectrum is the microHeli tail unit at just under $100- I have a couple of these and they're nice, but probably not worth the money any more.

The flybar paddles should be exactly parallel to each other and to the flybar control frame, the narrow frame that encircles the hub and that the flybar goes through. You should take care to ensure that the paddles are the same distance from the control frame so that they balance in flight.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
choyado

I have some good news. My CopterX order is due in tomorrow the 6th. This order contains over 100 helicopters including the CopterX 200. The order also includes a full stock of upgrade and crash parts. All of the parts have not been added to the site but will be in stock. If you need a specific item feel free to contact me from the website. Any CopterX orders placed this week will be shipped by friday.

[link=http://www.electronhobby.com]Electron Hobby[/link]
Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 PM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

after getting it dailed in got about 10 flights on my MX450 at about 45% expo its a sweetheart jack the rate up and it goes nuts!! good for a 3D pilot but not for just cruisin around....never had a ccpm model and is hard getting used to but expo helps........heard some compliants which never afflicted me, worst part I came up against is the servo install, especailly the pitch servo!! which involved spliting the frame in front to mountthe servo and even then the rod was angled in, so had to add a piece of tubing to extend the ball link out on pitch arm , only then was it perfectly in line.......other than that havent had any trouble, must have gotta good one.....

Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

hello there, i have this mx400, and i wonder if this motor will work in it.
its an align 430l bl motor, 3550kv. need input.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 PM
osterizer

The 430L will work fine. You need to drop the gearing to 11T or so with the higher motor Kv.