Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Axe CP and GY240

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CP and GY240

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
pk3dnow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe CP and GY240

I was able to get my hands on a slightly used GY240 gyro on ebay for $45 but have no idea what I need to do to get it installed. Can I use the standard equipment and just add the gyro or do I need to replace the electronics? I've ready some other posts on here but I keep reading about the ElectriFly ESC but I don't seem to have that on mine. I've got an early model Axe CP (non LiPo).

Any suggestions are welcome.

-PK
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
mikezell

Default RE: Axe CP and GY240

This may help: [link=http://manuals.hobbico.com/hmx/hmxe04-gyro-manual.pdf]Gyro install manual.pdf[/link]
Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 PM
ahile

I just installed the GY240 gyro and the Electrifly C-12 ESC this evening and am really impressed. It improved tail control greatly and I didn't have to fly the tail hardly at all. It will take a little getting use to. The LiPo battery probably last 12-15 minutes but I need to time is to be sure. I was a little reluctant to install the upgrade after reading some posts on here about the difficulty some guys had with control.

There is a post on RC Group about installing this gyro using the stock 3-in-1 board. See if you can find it. I used Heli-max's installation guide for parts and installation.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:27 AM
pk3dnow

Maybe I should be a little more clear. I'm trying to find out if this is possible with the stock electronics. I'd like to avoid having to buy anything additional at this time. So can it be done and if so how?

-PK
Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The directions listed are with the stock RX and 3-in1. You will still need to get an ESC to run the tail motor. There is not a way to get the 3-in-1 to use a 240, but the 240 will plug into it and use a second ESC to power the tail.

I have a bone stock AXE and an AXE with all separates, I found the 240 dropped right in.

Dru.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
MMatheny

ORIGINAL: pk3dnow

Maybe I should be a little more clear. I'm trying to find out if this is possible with the stock electronics. I'd like to avoid having to buy anything additional at this time. So can it be done and if so how?

-PK
Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645063
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
MMatheny

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

The directions listed are with the stock RX and 3-in1. You will still need to get an ESC to run the tail motor. There is not a way to get the 3-in-1 to use a 240, but the 240 will plug into it and use a second ESC to power the tail.

I have a bone stock AXE and an AXE with all separates, I found the 240 dropped right in.

Dru.
Not true - see my reply, you CAN use the stock ESCs with a HH gyro.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
pk3dnow

*EDIT*

I posted this before refreshing and seeing Mikes response but I'll leave it intact to get opinions.

/*EDIT*

Ok so there is absolutely no way to do this without buying a seperate ESC for the tail? Everything I have read about the C-12 says to be leery of low batteries because it will send the heli into a death spin. After looking around a bit more I read about the Global Hobby Distributors EVO Flight Micro 20A Heli Electronic Speed Control. Says it doesn't have a low battery shut off but rather a high intensity red LED that notifies you when you should ground it.

What would be the simplest, safest and certainly most cost effective way to install my GY240?

I am using all stock radio equipment too.

-PK
Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Cool. I stand corrected. I may just get a 240 for the bone stock one to see how well it handles with an HH gyro installed. I like it.

Dru.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: pk3dnow

*EDIT*

I posted this before refreshing and seeing Mikes response but I'll leave it intact to get opinions.

/*EDIT*

Ok so there is absolutely no way to do this without buying a seperate ESC for the tail? Everything I have read about the C-12 says to be leery of low batteries because it will send the heli into a death spin. After looking around a bit more I read about the Global Hobby Distributors EVO Flight Micro 20A Heli Electronic Speed Control. Says it doesn't have a low battery shut off but rather a high intensity red LED that notifies you when you should ground it.

What would be the simplest, safest and certainly most cost effective way to install my GY240?

I am using all stock radio equipment too.

-PK
What they say about the C-12 is true but in all reality you shouldn't be flying till it reaches cutoff anyways. Cutoff is 2.75v and to preserve your lipos you don't want to go below 3.00 volts per cell or risk ruining the battery. This is one of the reasons I went with the belt drive mod, The main esc i'm using has a lvc that doesn't just cut power it ramps the power down so you can basicly "auto" the heli down.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
pingken

Hi all,

I would like to add a gyro to my Axe Cp. I have been reading up on this subject its kind of confuseing to me.

Do I have to use a 240 or can I get by with the Telebee/Zoom Head lock gyro and a ESC
Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
blvdbuzzard

Setup should be close for any HH gyro. The 240 is just a good one. Does not drift like the lower priced units.

Dru.