Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Bizarre tail heat sink mod

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Bizarre tail heat sink mod

Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Mavrik1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre tail heat sink mod

Two things that seem to kill these tail motors on the AXE prematurely is not breaking in the brushes and heat. I got my idea from an air conditioner cooling fins. I used an aluminum can. First I wrapped the motor so I would have something to mount fins to (being sure not to cover the cooling ports and used heat transfer paste as well). Then put heat transfer paste in the middle and a drop of CA on both ends of the fins. It's not pretty, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55579.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	921963  
Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Shadow99

Default RE: Bizarre tail heat sink mod

Yep, your right!

It's definetly NOT PRETTY, but you say it working, then great! Just a question or two though. Did adding all that aluminum throw off the balance? And, what do you think will hold up better in a crash, your new cooling fins or the tail blade?

Shadow
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Mavrik1

Default RE: Bizarre tail heat sink mod

Yes this works great, I can barely feel any motor heat after a 8 minute hover (flat spots top and bottom for checking). It was so hot before, I could barely touch it with only the OEM heat sink. I could have made it nicer looking but it is a test. The theory of this is more fins and thinner the heat sink material is, the faster it will dissipate the heat. It's got that built in fan to blow across the fins.

The addition must only weight 2-3 grams, it's small strips of soda can, a tiny bit wider than the heat sink (note the OEM heat sink is attached).

I'm not real sure about your next question, I do have a carbon fiber tail fin to protect the blade (homemade and it pointed to the aft, it doesn't look like it does in the picture). However, in a crash lots of things will break, what's one more thing.

What I'm trying to do is increase the motor life, it seems they don't last as long as they should. (My first one lasted 3 hours of run time)