Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Helimax 400 3d

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
HAMMER JR.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helimax 400 3d

ill have to say u got a good one if it holds,peel the sticker off the front of the gyro and can access other pot screw, i turned bout 1/4 turn if that much, and it started to hold at 55%hh, and at 25% rate and sero arm dosent move like before, its a little better and will hold, but i just still dont trust this gyro, bout cost me couple of times already, so i think i going to suck it up and guess go with a 401 or any other sugg. on a gyro
Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
HAMMER JR.

its hard to get the gyro to lock in, i had to peel off sticker off of front of gyro there is a trim pot screw right next to gain, i turned it bout 1/16 or a little more but gyro then would hold in hh mode and arm stop moving when switching to rate mode, in hh mode gain at 56% and in rate mode 23% but still acts up some times its not worth crashing over a chep gyro, guess a 401 is best for the money,and can depend on it. think helimax would had done little more home work on the hm4000, the set up is nice and easy to work on
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
RCForever
My Feedback: (8)

I just got my RTF fully repaired and tested after coming in pretty hard on the tail. When I went to test it, it spooled up fine, no vibration, etc, but when I got light on the skids it just started to spin. I thought that I had ruined the gyro and started off in that direction. I was double checking everything even replaced the gyro with the gyro from my RxR. I was almost going to email HeliMax for help when I thought I should compare every mechanical setting to the RxR. DUH!! I realized that the RxR tail rotor rotates counter clockwise and my RTF was rotating CLOCKWISE. I think when I was replacing the tail boom, I got the belt twisted. Set it up for proper rotation and she flies FINE now. Considering how hard I hit, I think it held up pretty well! I'll continue hover practice with it but spend alot more time on the sim.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Hydro
My Feedback: (5)

I just received an Axe 400 RX-R myself and need a new radio for it. I am considering the Futaba 10C or JR X9303. I have had Futaba in the past for airplanes but I am in the position to start over with either brand. I know the Axe comes with setup info for the Futaba but I was wondering which radio would be the better choice. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Sal98 -

Thanks for all the info you have posted. I just read your post on RunRyder regarding the Axe and the JR X9303 and I sent you a PM over there. What is your opinion of the 9303 with this helicopter now that you have had the combination for a while.

Which radio would you recommend? If it's the JR, how hard was it to get the setup right? And, would you be willing to PM me or something the list of settings you used? I am new to helicopter setup and need all the help I can get!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Dap75

Hi all.
I'm a old Canadian who started flying Rc in the late 70's. Last year I taught myself to fly Heli with a Axe CPL with a bell-hiller upgrade, and now own a Axe 400. I am by no means a expert, but can hover fly out and back , return to hover and land, usually with the same parts still on the bird. I found the 400 with the Fut 6EX difficult to fly because it was so sloppy. These are some settings I changed to help, and I hope they may help someone else. The manual gives you no help what so ever, so I guess it is up to us to help one another. Before any change copy down your original settings because you may not like mine.
Gyro: Go to the Hel-max web site and down load the manual for the HM4000, it's only 2 pages but gives you a place to start. After setting up the Gyro as per the manual and are still having servo centering problems in HH see SAL98 and other post for the hidden trim pot. Be careful, with the 6EX, this pot is very very sensitive and only turn it a tiny bit. I guess I'm fortunate because my Gyro works very well, it is not a $275.00 so don't expect it to be one. What does not work well is the S3114 servo. Half way through only my 8th flight the tail control went for crap, and yup, blamed it on the gyro. On looking closer the pot in my servo had gone. If you watch SAL98's video on his gyro you will see his pot fail to. Move each stick very slowly through their full range, if the servo jerks a any time or gets nerves, fix this first. The gyro is getting a bad rap, it might be the servo behind it.
Settings: all others not listed remain stock
EXPO: Ch1 was -50 change to -10 I fly at -5, this might be to tight for beginners
Ch2 was -50 change to -10 see above
Ch4 was -50 change to -20 -10 is a little to touchy on tail
These changes tighten the heli's response around the stick center
I do not use D/R's but would think these settings will work at 70% also
N-TH Normal throttle curves:
I believe the rotor speed has to be increased some.
P1= 0 P2= 35 P3= 75 P4= 85 P5= 100
N-PI Normal pitch curves
P1= 55 P2= 60 P3= 65 P4=85 P5= 100
SWSH
Ch A +85 Ch E -85 Ch P (pitch) change to +40
These changes will let you hover at about 1/2 throttle, not 2/3 to 3/4 like mine was.
Again these settings work well on a Fut 6EX for me . I only hope it can steer others in the right direction, because I find Rc heli much more challenging and quite addictive.
Happy Flying from Canada.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For complete settings for all Futaba transmitters go to Tower's web site and down load the manual for the Rx-R version. It's link is on the information page for the Rx-R.

I used it to set up my 12FG. The Gyro is a bit tricky but lifting the label to expose the additional trim pot solves the drift/centering issue.

Haven't flown mine yet but it appears to be a sound heli and from reports I have read it is very smooth, which is my sport flying style, not 3D.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I just finished a review on one, check the magazine section in the next few weeks.

Gyro performance wasnt thrilling but I'm used to 401s. It flys good though and the radio and servos are excellent.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
rsdaskoski

Hello all,

I'm a bit new to this forum, but I've been watching this thread to see where it goes. I just ordered a AXE 400 RTF just yesterday. I have a Blade 400, 2 AXE CP's, a Wasp V4, a Ninja 400 (really closer to a 300 size like the AXE CP's), and a few coax birds. I've been flying a few years and still haven't dared any 3D stuff, but plan to as soon as the weather warms up here. I live in Mid Maine, lots of snow right now and sub zero temps.

Anyway, I hope I haven't made a mistake by ordering this unit. Perhaps expectations are high for a low priced unit, I've read a lot of complaints about the AXE CP's here in this thread, and I have been very pleased with them. They are stable enough for me to fly in my living room. Although I confess I sold my V3 I bought in December 08, keeping my older units because the V3 tail motor gets so hot is is sure to go through them quickly. The V3 tail did lock in much better, however.

I hope to get the bird this week or next and will gladly share my results. I too lack the advantage of setting one up because I buy the ready to fly versions. I am hoping this heli-max "RTF" will only require a few minor adjustments.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
osterizer

That's great, guys. I'll be looking to hear what you think of it, BH, and rsdaskoski, having someone who owns both comment on how they compare is going to be helpful to a lot of people. I have had the MX400 and 450XS, more predecessors to this heli than the motor-tail Axe CP, and they were pretty good fliers.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
electron
My Feedback: (1)

I think you will like it... I wished I had purchased the RTF version instead of the Rx-R version because I still have not got my radio setup right.. Guess I am stuck waiting till spring when the RC club heli pilots start coming out and I can get one of them to help me get this heli setup in my DX7...

Electron
Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
rsdaskoski

ORIGINAL: osterizer

That's great, guys. I'll be looking to hear what you think of it, BH, and rsdaskoski, having someone who owns both comment on how they compare is going to be helpful to a lot of people. I have had the MX400 and 450XS, more predecessors to this heli than the motor-tail Axe CP, and they were pretty good fliers.
I'll be letting you all know what I find, certainly hoping for the best and the RTF version will save me frustration. I picked it up off ebay, NIB, overstock item for 350, which was the cheapest I've seen this unit.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
rsdaskoski

Thanks electron, I'm hoping so, but for the money I won't complain too much. As I said, I paid 350 total
Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
electron

Man that is a deal... I paid 289.00 for my Rx-R version, so for 60 dollars more you got a 200.00 radio included I am jealous...

Electron
Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
rsdaskoski

BTW, you can see some of my flying skills, well, lack of compared to many of you, on you tube, here is my link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rsdaskoski

Can't figure out the link function here, but paste in your browser, as I'm sure you all know. Many of the flights are demos for birds I sold on ebay, I've tried out many low cost RTF units over the past few years.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
rsdaskoski

Ya, I thought so, let us see what I get though. Here is the ebay link, there is one left at that price

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heli-Max-Axe-400...lenotsupported

Just in case someone else is looking for one.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
rsdaskoski

Ya, I thought so, let us see what I get though. Here is the ebay link, there is one left at that price

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heli-Max-Axe-400...lenotsupported

Just in case someone else is looking for one.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Dap75

Hi,
rsdaskoski, I have also had excellent performance from a Axe CP, 74 flights and counting on the same motors. For this reason I ordered a Axe 400 sight unseen. I think you will be happy with the design but you will have to go over it carefully, RTF or not. The issues I had to correct where: The drive motor clearance was way to tight. Remove the 6 screws holding the battery tray, remove it and the motor screws are much easier to work on. One blade grip on the tail rotor was not seated properly, it was more than 1/8 inch further out than the other, witch caused a good vibration. Reset the bearing and tightened the bolt properly fixed that. On first run up, the end pulled out of the tail rotor push rod. I could find no evidence of glue, so use CA on these (not the treaded part). Check all screws, some were lose. The head and tracking where perfect. The manual for the radio is not the issue, it's the one for setting up the heli. All in all I'm quite impressed with the parts quality. The landing skids are a bit narrow for a bird of this size, but you will find for those first test hops, that the training gear for your Axe CP snap right on. Change out the foam balls for good quality ping pong balls, they will handle the extra weight and you do not have to use the washers. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
dbishw92

decided to put a set of t-rex 500 skids on mine looks great and gives a newbee the confert of a wider stance without the use of sloppy training balls. glad i did on about the tenth or so flight my gyro decided to stop working (turned off ) about 3 feet in air made it down in one peice. called heli max great customer service sending me a new one hope to be up in acouple of days. saving my money for a better one pos a 401 or pos a heitec.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
rsdaskoski

Hi Dap75,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I am not available during week days as my work takes me from home. Anyway, glad to hear I'm not the only one with such good luck with the AXE CP. I too enjoy long like from the motors, however, I modify the main motor heat sink to allow the cooling slots and built in fan to work. Prior to doing this modification I was lucky to get 20 flights before the main motor failed, but I use larger then stock battery (1300 mahr). Anyway, here it is Friday and no brown box yet from UPS, no email from the ebay site I bought it from either...hopefully I didn't get ripped off. I'll let you know when/if it arrives and how I like it.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM
rsdaskoski

All,

Well, today I received the new RTF Helimax 400 and I must say so far I am very pleased indeed. As I mentioned before, all I have experience with is the RTF units, of which I have tried nothing less then 10, to include the Exceed Raptor G2, Blade 400 and many others such as the Belt CP.

This Helimax RTF tops them all. Granted, I'm not doing any 3D flying, but out of the box inspection and first flight was hands down the best yet. I was very surprised that I didn't have to tighten, readjust or otherwise fix anything. She flew great (basics) right out of the box. I need to read up on this model quite a bit so I can make adjustments without messing anything up.

My first flight was out of the box stock, and she'll stay that way for a while. I am using a 1800mahr 20C lipo for this first phase of my journey. Given the time of year, I am limited to my garage for flying. I certainly recommend this unit for folks wanting to get in to this hobby and are stuck between the Blade 400 and it. Naturally, the big advantage to the Blade is it comes with a battery and parts are much easier to get. Perhaps that difference alone should be considered for first entering this hobby. Anyway, thanks for letting me share this with all of you. Happy flying!!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
rsdaskoski

Hi Dap75,

See my full reply to osterizer, but in a nut shell I am very pleased with the Helimax axe 400 RTF. Time will tell for sure, but right now I'm loving it!!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Ufoman51

Completely agree ! Very nice heli ! This is my first heli and all I can say is that this heli flies great ! Very stable hovering... This is pretty the only thing I can do
nonetheless (beginner of course ;-)

The only thing that's not so good is the gyro. He failed after a dozen flight... Helimax sent me a new one but in the meantime I've changed for a GY 401...
now the tail is rock solid if well adjusted...

I just had to tighten a screw near the tail rotor that was generating vibrations...

I fly with 2200 mah 20C and 25C. I've just purchased a Thunder Power 30C... This heli seems to be very powerful, add collective and it shoots straight up like a UFO

There's a review here if you're interested http://www.crackroll.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259

Best regards !

Alex
Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
rsdaskoski

Thanks UFOMAN, I certainly feel like I made a good choice. But the gyro thing does concern me a bit. A failing gryo can cost lots in repairs. Mine seems to lock right in quite nicely, better then any other I've had for sure. I will be trying a few tricks soon, once it is warm enough here in Maine.

I've been going inverted on the SIM, CLear View is what I have for SIM software. I have two AXE CP's that I am setting up to try my first inverted flight. These two birds were my first about 3 years ago. I probably should tried inverted flight, along with loops and rolls last year, but figured another season under my belt is best.

I have plenty of spare parts for the AXE CP's in my inventory, in fact I could build one, plus completely rebuild the other two including the frames a few times. These don't lock in the tail as good as I'd like, but if I can do it with these units, the others will be more enjoyable and perhaps easier. I plan to go over one real good and set it up for zero pitch at half throttle, switching the idle up and ensuring I have even pitch both neg and pos. Then I will just fool around with the trottle up switch, get the feel for it including landing...then let 'r rippppp!!!

Take your time learning man, don't try too much if you know what I mean.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
PilotJunky
My Feedback: (2)

I think I have messed up the "Brake" program in the ESC. I have my AXE 400 hovering Hands off, everything is great, except when the battery gets to about 60% the motor shuts off with a "thunk" rather than a slow stop... Does anyone know how to properly program the AXE 400 ESC HMXM2009? I cannot find the manual anywhere.

Thanks
Rich.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 AM
rsdaskoski

I went through all my manuals and didn't see anything on programming the ESC. I did notice my ESC doesn't power down slowly when the battery gets low. The heli all but falls out of the sky so to speak. So this is certainly a problem that I need to check in to. However I didn't notice any clunking noise, she just powers down way too quick. If I find out anything I'll let you know, but if I have to I'll try a different ESC, perhaps my spare for the Blade 400, which works quite well for shut down and better start up as well because it has a soft start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.