Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Helimax axe CP V3 becomes uncontrollable

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Helimax axe CP V3 becomes uncontrollable

Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
w4jwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helimax axe CP V3 becomes uncontrollable

I just got my replacement v3 from hobby services for my new last piece o Junk that went caput for receiver issues and 3 trips to the service dept. Now the new v3 when hovering if you make the smallest correction goes into a violent vibration like oscillation and is almost completely uncontrollable, so now back to hobby services with a completely new heli? I think i want my money back so i can buy and e-flight and get in some stick time. I have turned the pitch adjust all the way down and still get the same thing so its not a head speed issue, the blade pitch is dead on, and no slop in the controls. the blades are also perfect not out of balance as suggested by the hobby services people (dont think it would hover if the blades were out of ballance!) so everything they told me to check/try i already had done, their last resort was to send it back. Now Im heli short and not sure if they will truly look at it since my last one took 3 tries and after the 2nd trip back they told me they flew it twice but when i got it back and charged the batt and set it up it was dead as a hammer, HMMMMmmmmm customer no service........ has anyone else had the violent oscillation problem outa the box?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
propjetdriver

Default RE: Helimax axe CP V3 becomes uncontrollable

Ya .. Mine was all out of wack. Everything was loose. The flybar was loose so I know they dont test fly them. I had a tail rotor just snap on mine by itself and I broke 2 on my own. A beginners heli ? Hmm... no. My xcell 60 is 8 time easier to fly than this,This is cheap to fix. Move your control rods one hole in. That really tames it down quite a bit. Its not bad for 189 bux. Mine flies nice now. Took quite a bit. I had some issues with it. Lennie at heli-max was on the ball and resolved the ones I have had so far. Making sure it is trimmed out nice is the trick. Find some pilot that can take your heli and trim it up nice. The will hover hands of for 5 or so seconds in wind even once you work out the bugs. The moving the controls in one hole did wonders for mine. What I am trying to say is its a heli and everything has to be perfect before it will fly nice. If I could return mine I would and get something else.. but im stuck with it. To bad heli-max didnt allow trade ins..lol .. and yes is seems uncontrolable at times. I dont know why it does that..
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 PM
lparks

I just got one of these as my first heli after flying fixed wing for may years. I have had no major problems with it so far, and was fairly quickly able to maintain a tail-in hover. I am working on turning 90 degrees from tail-in now. I have a ways to go here, so just this will keep me occupied for a while. Anyway, two thoughts concerning the oscillation: 1) to much gain on the gyro? and 2) a battery issue?

I have been using four TP 1320 mAh lipo's for my electric fixed wings. With only one of the four I will get a tail oscillation. I shut it down when it starts because it is obviously building towards becoming uncontrollable like you describe. That battery charges and delivers normally, and tests to be well-balanced, so I am not sure what the deal is, but it definitely only happens with only that battery. The motor develops full power, so I do not think it is voltage drop under load. Any ideas? A partial short in the battery emitting RF?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 PM
propjetdriver

I was looking at of those video cameras and sounds cheap for 44 bux. Blades are 16 bux... me getting mad at fixing it 100 bux an hour .. ect. I might just load the camera on and see where it goes for its 8 mins full blast up.. just kidding. hey, microheli.com has some cool stuff for this thing.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Jason 3-Danhakl
My Feedback: (10)

The head speed is to low. You have to use the throttle trim to increase head spead. The pitch adjust is just a total range adjustment.
If it still does it take one turn of positive pitch out of the tracking links to increase the head speed more.
The Dampeners are very stiff for the BH head and need a fairly high head speed to remain "happy". Over time the dampeners loosen up and become less sensitive.
Jason
Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 PM
BLevesque

I agree with Jason. Mine had the same problem and I got me a pitch gauge and set the pitch to 0 deg. at half stick and +8 deg. at full stick. I also upgraded to HS-55 servos and it made a big difference.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:29 PM
w4jwc

the short issue is possible but the lipo should start expanding when it shorts however that is a good possibility minor in stage and causing a little interference
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
w4jwc

Yep one of the tracking links was bottomed out on itself and the other had about 1/16 of turn left on it so factory settings were at the max on one and half on the other the pitch was dead 0 at half throttle. Helimax is getting it back monday i will let them sort it out for now but in the future i will keep that piece of advice handy. Thanks for the info and response!!!!! Im still new to rotors and trying to take in as much as possible and not blow a brain fuse..... 8P
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: w4jwc

Yep one of the tracking links was bottomed out on itself and the other had about 1/16 of turn left on it so factory settings were at the max on one and half on the other the pitch was dead 0 at half throttle. Helimax is getting it back monday i will let them sort it out for now but in the future i will keep that piece of advice handy. Thanks for the info and response!!!!! Im still new to rotors and trying to take in as much as possible and not blow a brain fuse..... 8P
Sounds like you've already found your problem. Make sure all the links are exactly the same and increase your head speed by raising the swashplate. This can be accomplished by lengthening the links from the servo to the swash plate one turn. Might be able to just use the pitch adjust knob (I don't have that radio).

The sooner you learn to work on it yourself, the more flying time you'll get. Gotta learn sometime; on this heli or the next.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
bdelmonte
My Feedback: (4)

I can empathize with you here. My TH "scratch and dent - slightly used, no damage and works fine" Helimax AXE CP V3 rapidly climbed and flew behind my head with crash after 3 nice hovering sessions. Blades and blade grips are both broken, along with bend spindle. The V3 blade grips are different from V1/2, so I had to order them from TH (week to delivery - due today), rather find in stock at LHS.

This crash autopsy revealed that a flat washer was installed (pinched) on one of the two Bell Hiller mixing arms, rather than the sleeve type of washer. Thus, I also need to replace these mixing arms, along with other crash items. I contacted TH that sent to their Hobby Services/Helimax customer service, which perhaps will help me here with repair/replacement.

Check your Bell Hiller mixing arms for correct washers!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
JEMFLYER

Re upgrading to HS55 servos -

Been there and done that.

A much better deal is the HXT900 servo. You can get it at www.hobbyking.com.

I've been using HXT900's on my 3 Axe's for a long time with no "non-crash"
failures.

These servos are also repairable but they're so cheap it doesn't make a lot of sense
to take to the time to do it.

Hate to see anyone spend 3x-4x more on servos that are no better and may be worse.
The 4 HS55's I used did not last long.

NOTE: the HXT900's turn in the opposite direction from stock. Swap the channels
on the receiver for the aft two servos and move the front servo to the starboard
side and you're in business.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
rich0027

Has anyone had a cvp3 fly without any tweeking right out of the box? Mine arrives tom. and I'm getting the feeling I will be ordering a lot of parts, It's mt first copter also.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Quanz56

I bought mine a couple months ago and it seemed to work fine right out of the box. Crashed it recently: broke 1 blade grip, dented up the blades pretty bad & bent the tail boom. Just replaced the parts yesterday and still seems to be working right. From the sounds of the forums, I have one of the only properly working CPv3s out there...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM
nitro stan

i should have my cpv3 next week, iv never flown a single rotor, just my cx2 and mcx.

is the a dictionary of terms i can read so i know what the lingo means?