Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

First Heli?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 AM
MOVMX Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Heli?

Hey guys... Its getting to be pretty cold out, and I need something to do inside. I have been entertaining the idea of getting an electric heli for a long time now, and I finally have the extra money to do it. I am not new to R/C, I have a nitro boat, 3 electric cars, and a nitro Maxx. I have never flown any sort of R/C helicopter before save the cheap infrared ones. I am looking for a fairly small, rather durable, and easy handling helicopter. I need to be able to fly it around inside, but I want to be able to fly it around on a nice summer day as well. I want one that is a good beginner helicopter, but I would like one that I can do some cool stunts with as well once I learn to control it.

I have been looking mostly at Helimax because it is what Tower stocks, and mainly the AXE CPv3. What are the Pros/Cons of this one? (give it to me straight, I know none of the heli lingo!)
Are there any others that compare at around the same price? What sort of parts will I need?

I need some basics, I have never owned a hobby grade helicopter before, and I want to do it the right way!

My limit is about $200 (give or take a few bucks) including spares, so please don't recommend any really expensive one... I just want one that I can learn on, and then do some cool flying with it later on. I fully realize that I will have trouble learning, but I accept that I will have to replace some parts, and that there will be some maintenance involved. I just want something new, because driving on the ground outside in 15 degree weather is getting old really fast!

Let me know!
Thanks!

Also, until the 31st, I have an offer from Tower to save $30 on an $200 order, and my order comes to a little over that with the JCS trainer blades and "foam safe CA glue"... I would also get free shipping since I am a member of the super saver club (Oh boy!)
Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
GotM

Default RE: First Heli?

I think this depends on your definition of inside...how much space do you have??

The Axe CP is still pretty large for indoor use (and it is one of the smaller helis out there). You will see many different videos online of people flying these indoors, but hovering isnt really flying in my book. Considering you are just starting, your heli and house will suffer considerable damage flying this size of heli indoors.

Replacment parts can add up real quick. It is too bad the mfgs dont give you the heli, you will spend plenty in parts when you are learning. At least I did!

You could fly an AXE EZ or something like that, but you wont be able to do any stunts.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
MOVMX Racer

I am only interested in learning to fly inside, I can learn to do stunts outside once I get some experience. The room I would fly it in should be big enough, the ceilings are 21 ft and its about 400 sq. feet. I only want to hover and fly around a bit, and then I can go outside when I get the basics down.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
GotM

If you have an unobstructed 400 sqft (20x20?), then you have enough room to learn how to hover. I dont think you have enough room to actually fly around. Or, it will be awhile before you will actually be able to do something like this. I know there are people that can, and I now they have a lot more experience than me. I know my Axe will eat up 20 ft easy in forward flight really quick.

I would have a bunch of feathering spindles, blade grips and main shafts as spares. I have gone through at least 5-7 feathering spindles learning to fly. I broke a lot of blade grips too, but the V3 is a different design. I am not sure if these will break as easy.

The Axe will be a good heli in your price range to fool around with over the winter. I have tried to do stunts with it on G4 (never in real life), and it doesnt really have the power to do much. It is only marginal 3D capable.

I bought the Axe as a heli to try out helis. It has become quite the expensive hobby. I fly both the Axe and a Trex 450se V2 now. I feel that I have sunk more into Helis in a year than I spent in 22 years of flying planks. but, well worth it
Old 12-22-2008, 10:08 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: GotM

I bought the Axe as a heli to try out helis. It has become quite the expensive hobby. I feel that I have sunk more into Helis in a year than I spent in 22 years of flying planks. but, well worth it
Ditto!!! Except I've been flying planes longer.

For $200, the Axe is about the best you can do. It will allow you to fly in your 400sq ft. area and will still go outside and be able to handle some wind. One thing you'll want to be aware of is inside your natural reaction is to cut the throttle when you start loosing control. Outside, you can do the opposite and nail lots of throttle to give your self altitude and time to recover. Eventually, you'll just concentrate on regaining control. You will break fewer parts outside, so while the weather forces you to fly indoors be sure to have lots of spare parts. (this is the trap that begins to suck you in. $$$$)

Old 12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
MOVMX Racer

ORIGINAL: PilotLight

Ditto!!! Except I've been flying planes longer.

For $200, the Axe is about the best you can do. It will allow you to fly in your 400sq ft. area and will still go outside and be able to handle some wind. One thing you'll want to be aware of is inside your natural reaction is to cut the throttle when you start loosing control. Outside, you can do the opposite and nail lots of throttle to give your self altitude and time to recover. Eventually, you'll just concentrate on regaining control. You will break fewer parts outside, so while the weather forces you to fly indoors be sure to have lots of spare parts. (this is the trap that begins to suck you in. $$$$)

That's what I figured, the Axe looked like it was a good heli... I just want something to help get me into more than just driving... I have wanted a helicopter for a long time, and now I have the money to order one (I could literally order it right now... so tempting).

What kind of spares will I need? I already have a set of JCS trainer blades, blade grips, and 4 tail rotors (on backorder), 4 feathering spindles, and 2 main shafts, along with the Axe in my shopping cart on Tower. What else will I need?
(I may be able to go over $200, I have Tower gift cards on my Christmas list, and need something to spend them on, right?)

EDIT: I changed my cart, I now have:
Axe CPv3
JCS Blades
4 Tail rotors
Foam safe ca
4 blade grips
5 feathering spindles
3 main shafts
Helimax mini blade holder (do I need it for transport? I needed an extra $2 to get over $250)

This all comes to $215 shipped.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:13 PM
MOVMX Racer

Okay. I have the money in place, and I'm ready to order. I have all the parts above, and tail rotors came in, so I have 5 now. Is there ANYTHING else I need? I'll make the order around 6pm, so I need to know! With todays weather, I wish I already had it... It's 65* out, when we had temps in the negatives last week!?

How many main rotors does the box come with? I have one set of JCS blades, but I could do another if I need to!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:26 PM
noobflyer01

what about extra lipo's for the bird?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 PM
MOVMX Racer

Batts wont be in stock until late Jan, so I'll wait until they're in stock to order one.Manufacturer and Product Description Ship

This is my list... I'll place the order soon:

Heli-Max AXE CPv3 Micro Helicopter RTF Orange 56 1
Club Special
JCS Hobbies Flat Trainer Blade AXE CP White 1 19.99
Great Planes Pro Foam Safe CA+ Medium Glue 1 oz 1 7.99
Heli-Max Feathering Spindle w/Hex Head Bolts Axe CP 4 3.59
Heli-Max Main Shaft Axe CP 2 5.99
Heli-Max Mini Blade Holder 1 3.49
Heli-Max Direct Drive Tail Rotor Axe CPV3 5 3.19
Heli-Max Inject Mold Bell-Hiller Main Bld Grps Axe CPV3 3 3.59
$40 Promotional Discount -40.00
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Scotty_T

Axe CP v3 is a pretty neat heli. I bought one for my son for xmas.
I've also owned a Blade CP and the Axe truly is a better heli.

If you want some indoor fun and don't have experience, I think the Blade mCX would be a better choice.

I'm experienced, I don't have a lot of room, and all I can really do indoors with the Axe is hover and turn every direction including nose in.
I wouldn't recommend doing any more than that in small spaces no matter how experienced.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
MOVMX Racer

I am probably only going to learn indoors, and then go outside when it warms up. I just need room to hover and maybe fly around a bit, but I'll take it outside once I get it down somewhat.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:09 PM
osterizer

You'll use fewer parts if you put TG on it and practice outside to get started. Bring it inside when you have it down somewhat .
Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 PM
MOVMX Racer

ORIGINAL: Scotty_T

Axe CP v3 is a pretty neat heli. I bought one for my son for xmas.
I've also owned a Blade CP and the Axe truly is a better heli.

If you want some indoor fun and don't have experience, I think the Blade mCX would be a better choice.

I'm experienced, I don't have a lot of room, and all I can really do indoors with the Axe is hover and turn every direction including nose in.
I wouldn't recommend doing any more than that in small spaces no matter how experienced.

Thought about this, and decided I wanted an indoor heli. I ended up going with the CX Micro for now, cost me half as much for the entire order including spares and batteries. I can learn on this, and if I decide I want to explore further into helicopters, I can always get a CPv3 later on.