Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Axe CX Micro - new receiver... Again?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CX Micro - new receiver... Again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 AM
EnjoyPA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe CX Micro - new receiver... Again?

My Axe CX Micro has issues - Ithink the receiver's shot, and Ithink there's a QC issue with these receivers, because another receiver Igot is doing the same thing - It'll spool up the rotors, but with limited power, barely enough (and sometimes not enough!) to hover in ground effect. Adjusting the gain potleads to three distinct conditions:

1) Craft seems to hover smoothly, but only has enough power to hover in ground effect. Also tends to "cog" or "twitch"to the right (yaw axis) at random times.
2) Craft has power, but spins right on throttle up and left on throttle down. Right yaw "twitch" is less prevalent but still present in this state. Power comes and goes at random.
3) Craft has power but spins uncontrollably to the right, regardless of the trim pot setting. Spin is too strong to correct, even with full left stick and trim.

I've tried replacing the motors to no avail and my gear mesh is fine. There's no wobble in the shafts, and doesn't appear to be any binding; the rotors spin freely with the motors removed.

The thing that mostly makes me think the receiver's faulty is Irun the throttle up, get the rotors spinning, and then if Itap the receiver, or bend or squeeze it in certain ways, full power seems to be restored momentarily. Both the receivers Ihave do this. I've gove over them with a magnifying glass and I'm darned if Ican find anything that looks amiss like a bad connection or a heat issue.

So here's my dilemma - do Ispend $40 and replace the part that I'm pretty sure is bad with one that may be bad right out of the box, or may go bad at any time? Or do Ifind a replacement; something more reliable and hope it's compatible. I've been poking around and I've found a few 3in1-type units that might fit the bill:

Walkera RX-2401, 2405, or 2413:2.4GHz these appear to be minor variations on a theme, and they appear on theWalkera 5#4, 5#10, 53Q, etc.
Walkera RX-405:a *tiny* little 72MHz sucker that still appears to have the right connections - appears on the Walkera 5#5
E-sky EK2-0708: another 2.4GHz, found in the Lama v4, Co-Co Lama and Co-Comanche - this is blue rather than yellow - perhaps more aesthetically pleasing in my blue Axe.

The radio that came with the Axe is 72MHz, and Ihave a 2.4GHz from my Novus CX (Which I*love*, BTW), so Ican go either way, although I think I'd prefer 2.4GHz.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether any or all of these would fit and/or work correctly in the Axe CXm? Any other ideas? Anyone think Ishould just bite the bullet and go stock, crossing my fingers?

Thanks in advance.

- EnjoyPA