Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

First Forward Flight >>> CPV3

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

First Forward Flight >>> CPV3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default First Forward Flight >>> CPV3

Did my first forward flight this week. Took the CPV3 out in the field beside my house.
Got it in a hover and pushed both sticks forward and went for it. Did some big circles,
figure eights, and stall turns. It was great. It's a quick little heli and the faster it goes
the better it flys. Have to take the training gear off next.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 AM
CarGuy7a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Forward Flight >>> CPV3

Sweet. I'm still working on side in's. Haven't mustered up the courage for a nose in yet but it will come. I've been doing good with it on Real Flight G4 but in real life it is a little different.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 PM
snobelt

Glad to hear it. I'm still hovering but after four flights am starting to feel comfortable with the CPv3 already. I really debated on getting a motor driven tail machine. I wanted something with a belt drive and in the 400 class but the itch got too bad and I had to spend some money now and the CPv3 just came down in price, so I sprung. One thing that worried me is that the AXE on my sim is one of the hardest heli's on the sim to handle. After four flights (hover only) I'm sure my CPv3 handles better (easier) than the one on the sim. I'm anxious to get where you just got to but need to exercise the full range of hover orientations first. Probably a good confidence builder too. Anyway, good for you and keep posting your progress.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM
A. J. Clark

Took the CPV3 out today to try some more forward flight. There was more wind than I wanted
but decided to try it anyway. Took off flew around in some big circles. The wind was pushing it
in towards me as I circled. After about the third time around it got up over my head and went
into a pine tree. Had to use the extention ladder and tree triming pole to get it down. Broke a
blade grip, bent the feathering spindle, and striped the gears in two of the servos.

I was hopeing to make a couple more forward flights then try nose in hover. Will have to wait
a few more days now.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:03 PM
A. J. Clark

snobelt

I have the CpV3 and the AXE 400. I spend more time with the CPV3. I got CPV3 first. Guess I just got more comfortable with it. Plus it cost less to repair. I think the CPV3 grows on you after a while and just becomes a challenge you want to conquer. I think it hovers and flys good for a small heli when the winds calm. Just watch the wind it doesn't like the wind very well.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: snobelt

Glad to hear it. I'm still hovering but after four flights am starting to feel comfortable with the CPv3 already. I really debated on getting a motor driven tail machine. I wanted something with a belt drive and in the 400 class but the itch got too bad and I had to spend some money now and the CPv3 just came down in price, so I sprung. One thing that worried me is that the AXE on my sim is one of the hardest heli's on the sim to handle. After four flights (hover only) I'm sure my CPv3 handles better (easier) than the one on the sim. I'm anxious to get where you just got to but need to exercise the full range of hover orientations first. Probably a good confidence builder too. Anyway, good for you and keep posting your progress.
I noticed the same thing about the sim. It is alot more touchy on the sim than it is flying it in real life.

Before I had the sim I couldn't even hover the darn thing without trashing it. After I got the sim and got used to it on there, hovering the heli in real life was cake.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
snobelt

Yeah, I hear you. My sim is a Real Flight 3.5 and the AXE on it is a V1 or 2, which does not have a Bell Hiller head, consequently it flies much more twitchy than the V3. Good practice though - if you can fly a V1 AXE you can fly the V3. I have progressed to a bit of foreward flight on my V3 but nothing at speed yet. Confidence is building. One thing in particular that I really like about the V3 is its smoothness in flight. Other than some minor tail adjustments due to the built in rate gyro, it flies very nicely. It seems like a good "next step" heli for me and the price was right. I have found a bunch of heli guys that meet one night a week at the local field and hope to get some good input from them.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 PM
A. J. Clark

Got the CPV3 repaired and back together. When I test hovered it it started jumping
up about 3 ft. then comeing right back down. Just kept going up and down. Almost
uncontrolable. After looking it over I found one of the new servos wasn't centering
right. So I swap the gears from the new servo to the old one. Everything was OK
after that.

Took it to the flying field today where theres no trees to get in the way. Things went
good. Ran 4 batteries throught it. Tried some nose in hovering. Wasn't able to keep
there very long. Kept it up high which made it harder to judge what it was doing.
Just don't have the confidence yet to let it get low nose in, but I am getting more
comfortable with forward flight.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
A. J. Clark

Been haveing trouble with the CPV3. The servos are still jumping around. After changeing servos I thought things were good.
Now there moveing around enough that it's almost uncontrolable to fly. I am thinking it's the receiver. It all started after
it crashed it to the tree and stripped the gears in two servos. I'm thinking that when it stripped the gears that there was
a lot of current drawn from the receiver and damaged it. Anyone else have the servos move around alot or have any ideas
to what the problem could be.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
CarGuy7a

It is possible you may have cracked the crystal in the Rx from the impact. That would make it act all goofy.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 PM
A. J. Clark

The CPV3 seems to be back to normal again.
The problem with the servos jumping around mysteriously
went away. I tried to isolate the problem but never did
find anything. I've now taken the training gear off
and made a couple of flights. Next I would like to try
a loop before the flying season is over.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: A. J. Clark

The CPV3 seems to be back to normal again.
The problem with the servos jumping around mysteriously
went away. I tried to isolate the problem but never did
find anything. I've now taken the training gear off
and made a couple of flights. Next I would like to try
a loop before the flying season is over.
Can you do a loop with your other helicopters? I find it loops pretty well. Mine does have a brushless DD tail with a HH gyro though.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM
A. J. Clark

No I haven't loop any of then yet. Just forward flight with some figure eights and stall
turns. The Axe 400 I did a tail slide one time. Couldn't believe how fast it came down
out that. Glad I had lots of altitude for that one.

The 50NX is not ready for flight yet only have hovered it.
Haven't been able to get the motor tuned right yet. The 50NX is my first nitro heli so
maybe I just don't know how to tune it right. The mid range is very rich. When adjusting
the mid range to where it starts to lean out then the idle it way to lean.

I hope the CPV3 loops better than the one on the sim or I'm in trouble.

Which would be the easiest. A loop, roll, or flip?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:38 PM
PilotLight

I would try a loop first. The main reason is the forward motion will cause the tail to weather vane into the direction of flight which will help the gyro. If the tail kicks out, you will be along for the ride.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
A. J. Clark

I made an attempt to loop the CPV3 this week which wasn't successful.
It was a little breezy and I had a hard time keeping it straight going into
the wind. On the first attempt it just raised up a couple of feet and flipped
over on it back. I managed to get it right side up in a short time so
everything was ok again. On the second attempt it looked like it was
going to do the same thing so I pushed the stick forward to get out
of it real quick. Don't think it had enough speed. Not sure I had it at
full throttle. I'll try again on a calmer day and make sure it's at full
throttle for max speed and lift.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
PilotLight

Be sure to give the negative collective input just as it goes through nose up vertical and then back to positive collective as it goes through nose down vertical.

Practice on the sim until its easy.