Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

hovering a novus cp

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

hovering a novus cp

Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
1fasthitman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hovering a novus cp

I just got the novus cp, charged the batteries, and started to learn to fly the bird. I have 4 years of heli flying on RealFlight and I am a pretty competent airplane pilot. I have read the manual for the chopper and tried several adjustments on the dial adjustments on the gyro, and using the dipswitch method. I have steady hands, but I can't get this thing to hover very still or even close to hands off. Any advice? I know.........................practice!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:30 PM
poison

Default RE: hovering a novus cp

man I am having the same problem I am trying like crazy with turrning the dip switch 12 on and gyro gain to keep my tail but it just won't hold the way I want it to I have mine trimed all the way to the right and still have to hold right into it to keep it straight if I let go of the rudder it goes to the left I don't think my gyro gain is working or something other than this problem. it fly's good man it moves fast throw my little living room it gits crazy
Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 PM
1fasthitman

It seems to fly more consistently when doing stuff besides hovering. That is until the battery starts to get weak. I have four batteries, so I know they aren't bad. After a couple minutes of flying, any combination of adding collective and rudder, aileron,etc. makes everything kinda go dead and lose control. I am going to try a bigger battery.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:03 PM
poison

ya I would like to do that if you could I also would like to go burshless I am woundering how can I do some flying upside down and stuff if my tail wants to drift left all the time I wish you could come up with a soultion to keep it straight that would be awesome.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 AM
1fasthitman

not much luck yet.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 PM
animalnut

ORIGINAL: poison

man I am having the same problem I am trying like crazy with turrning the dip switch 12 on and gyro gain to keep my tail but it just won't hold the way I want it to I have mine trimed all the way to the right and still have to hold right into it to keep it straight if I let go of the rudder it goes to the left I don't think my gyro gain is working or something other than this problem. it fly's good man it moves fast throw my little living room it gits crazy
don't try the gyro gain on the tx try turning up the tail motor mix on the rx that solved all my tail issues and I have already done the brushless main motor aluminum head and carbon fiber blades it will hover hands off for about 2 sec. before you have to give any input and that's probably due to rotor wash in the living room.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM
poison

thats cool I noticed mine is getting better I need to get a new set of blades mine notched up a bit I have been messing around with both settings rx and tx I still have to have full right rudder trim thow I hope I'll get it hovering with trim in the middel that would be nice
Old 10-30-2009, 11:44 AM
dumorian
My Feedback: (6)

I have the FP version but keep looking at the CP. I just don't at all like the radio. One click of trim this way and it moves that direction... one click the other way and it moves that direction. Just not enough finesse to really get it trimmed with the radio. I wonder if there is any way to run this from some other radio or perhaps use some other all-in-one-unit, like maybe something from Blade to get it onto like a Spektrum or Futaba 2.4 system?

Helimax seems to be a Hobbico company. Futaba seems to be imported by Hobbico.... So why doesn't Helimax, Futaba and Hobbico get together and do something. Right now, the only reason I have a Spektrum radio is to fly my Blade helis. I have the Spektrum module for my Futaba radio, but... I find it easier to just use the DX6i that came with the B400 for all of them. The Novus line might actually be pretty good fliers.... but for me, the radio is the most important tool for my meager flying skills. Give me expo... dual rates... digital trim... etc. These things have absolutely transformed my heli flights.

I really think Spektrum is kicking Futabas butt by working with manufacturers to offer models such as the Parkzone and Eflight products with their 2.4 built in. The DX6i is no fantastic radio, but it certainly is a decent radio. With it coming with the B400, this is one strong argument for a person buying that model to use Spektrum for everything.... Another boat missed by Futaba.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
1fasthitman

A friend recently picked up the blade cp. I've flown it as well. It seems to me, all these small helis that use an electric motor for the tail rotor have inconsistent flight characteristics. I have flown .30 nitro helis, which had shaft driven tail rotors, and they would hover and fly very precisely. I guess I'm asking to much for the $220.00 that I spent.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 PM
dumorian

I have a CPP2 and a MSR. The MSR locks in quite well. I have a pile of flights on it. And, it's really not much smaller than the Novus... just a lot lighter. I am new to helis... so don't have a lot of experience, but the few hovers I've done with my CPP2 have felt good. Really though, I'm no expert with this. I do have it locked in nicely though with my basic flying. The MSR though locks very well no matter what I'm doing with it and I let myself go with that model. It's just about indestructible. It seems like if something that small can lock in with a motor driven tail rotor, a larger model should be able to as well. I guess at some point there starts to be a point where the motor would be so large that there would be a flywheel effect.

I sold the radio that came with my CPP2 before I got out of the store with it. It is a pretty good radio as these things go, but no as good as the DX6i which I'm using with that model. I have tuned for noobe flight... Wild stuff will either come much later... or only by accident now... which will likely be just before gravity takes charge.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:49 AM
animalnut

the flat on your rx dial is pointed at the lower right corner as well, I noticed last night even with my rx set to the max the tx will still need about 3-4 clicks right to compensate for battery voltage drops after about two min. in to flight I've just been compensating with small taps of the rudder here and there and did not even notice until I paid close attention to it's flight and thought back to this thread, also this is with the 500mah lipo's ...but for the price it is what it is I'm just happy it fly's
Old 10-31-2009, 02:28 PM
dumorian

I have pretty much the entire E-Flight fleet. I think I'll look at the Novus electronics and see if anything looks like it might crossover. Doubtful, but possible. It would be sweet if something would....
Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 PM
midntpumkin

my fixed pitch didnt fly very well or hover out of the box, i tryed the radio trims they werent enough . the next thing i did was move the servo arms. once i did that till i got all the trims centerd it flyes well , dosent like to hover more than a few seconds but more time at the sticks may solve that problem . i seem to finally got it to fly in a 15 x20 room but still runs out of room quickly, its definitly an outside toy . i also noticed as the manual says , even a 10ft crash wont break the heli as long as the rotor is turned off
i also noticed after every crash landing the flybat paddles go out of wack , just eyeballing them level before every flight helps
Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Silverexpress
My Feedback: (1)

Just a note, but I found out on my MSR that it had to be on level ground right after you plug into the battery. THis is because the GYRO calibrates itself at every poweron.

If your holding the heli, and then plug the battery in, the gyro will calibrate it self to whatever position you have it at. This makes for some interesting hovering if your not aware of this. Don't know if your electronics works the same way, but worth a try.

Anyhow, I was looking at the Novus CP as my next heli. But I'd like to use my DX7 with it. Can I replace the receiver on this heli so that it'll work?