Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Hirobo Support Forum
Reload this Page >

Hirobo Shuttle Identification - ZX/ZXX or ??

Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

Hirobo Shuttle Identification - ZX/ZXX or ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
khagan72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hirobo Shuttle Identification - ZX/ZXX or ??

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to the rc heli world and I just purchased what I think is a Hirobo Shuttle ZX or ZXX ($100 from a friend who doesn't know anything about the model -nor ever flew it) ....but I'm not positive and was hoping someone would be able to clarify some discrepencies I noticed from the manual I downloaded.

here are my observations/comparisons :

1. The frame doesn't have the switch mount on the right side, it's on the left - next to the 'second' fuel tank - any ideas on why the main frame would be so different?
2. I have no idea what the second tank is for or why it is there...ideas on this one?
3. The clutch assembly is the ZX parts while the rest of the rotor head assembly is ZXX (ie. metal swash plate, bearings etc) - could this be a ZX that was upgraded?
4. The stab control arm is different from the manual - it is not completely wrapped around the shaft like the one in the manual and I haven't been able to locate these parts (for replacement purposes) - has anyone seen these before?
5. The servo mounts are not in the same location as the manual - the one at the front of the heli is actually next to the one on the side in the manual - do you think this could be related to the main body frame that seems to be different from the one mentioned in the manual?
6. The canopy, although close to the replacement canopies you can get, is different as the plastic near the clip/lock is not as high.
7. The landing gear, main and tail rotors have been upraded to carbon fibre. (an obvious thing but I thought I's mention it as it is something different from the manual). I think the tail boom is upgraded as well...but not possitive.
8. The dimensions are that of a ZX/ZXX (observation).

Basically, I'm not even sure if this is a shuttle or not and any light being shed on the differences would be greatly appreciated...particuarly the second tank thing?!

Please ignore the mess of wires and stuff...I am in the process of cleaning and checking everything after I noticed the gyro was 'loose' and wired incorrectly.

I'll upload more pics soon...

Thanks,
Steven
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74455.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1150221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34513.jpg
Views:	1385
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1150222  
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
khagan72

Default RE: Hirobo Shuttle Identification - ZX/ZXX or ??

...more pics.

Name:	Tr50728.jpg
Views:	1694
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1150246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55046.jpg
Views:	2919
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1150247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55367.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1150248  
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
fiddlesticks1

Looks to me like you have a shuttle ZX. It very well could have a few parts from other shuttles. I can’t really tell for sure because I can’t quite make out your clutch assembly.
The second (smaller) tank can be called many things. Hopper Tank, Header Tank or Reserve tank. The main function of this tank is to keep air out of the tank thus keeping a steady stream of fuel going to your carb. As the main tank drains the smaller tank will stay filled because the main tank is always filling it. Because your reserve tank is always full there is no air for the fuel to foam up incase your helicopter is has some vibration. Foamy fuel, air bubbles in your lines are not kind to engines and can shut your engine off and make you enter the fun world of auto rotations unexpectedly. Don’t let all of this talk about a second tank scare you. It is not necessary to fly with one. Lite hovering and forward flights are fine without one. I would recommend it if you are flying aerobatics and 3D
Also the reserve tank has more obvious purposes. One being that you can have longer flights or a “cushion†so that you don’t end up hundreds of feet in the air and have your tank go dry.
Call me if you can't get help.
My name is Greg
I work for MRC / Hirobo

732 225 2100
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
glydrjocky

ZX with non standard main fuel tank and servo tray mods..........

Someone did a major tank modification to the main tank on your Shuttle ZX. pitch servo and throttle servo are normally stacked on top of eachother. this limits room for the tank. The ZX has a smaller main tank than the ZXX or Shuttle Plus. In fact you can see that the servo mount tray has been cut back to only one servo and the throttle servo has been moved to the front of the servo tray support. I've never seen this configuration before but any extra fuel is a welcome thing in a Shuttle.

Was this an aftermarket servo relocation kit or did someone actually put it together themselves? Either way its an interesting solution to a typical Shuttle fuel capacity problem.

I'd also get rid of that non standard header tank on the side and replace it with a nice 2oz. Hayes tank with the clean aluminum bracket. Much cleaner installation and a little lower profile set up.

I just looked at the head linkages in the picture, especially the linkages that have the factory "bends" in them. I had the same ones on my Shuttle ZX and after my first crash I ended up replacing the upper mixing arms, the seesaw, and those bent links/clevises with Shuttle Plus parts as the original ZX hardware is hard to come by.

Photo shows original small ZX main tank and second photo shows the header tank placement. I just drilled a hole in the rear frame leg and attached the header tank bracket (homemade bracket in this photo) with a 3mm screw and self locking nut. through an aluminum spacer to give frame clearance.

Name:	Db86397.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1150432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46805.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1150433  
Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 AM
glydrjocky

This is a photo of the Shuttle Plus frame with the switch mounts forward and on the verticle part of the frame. Also has holes for the top start, clutch bearing upper support block and the anti rotation stay for the swash plate. I see that yours has the anti rotation plate but your frame had to be drilled for it. Does your clutch assembly have a top start modification with the hex drive in the center. Hirobo came up with various mods along the way for the top start, some bearing supported and some not. I found out alot about Shuttle History when I was buying up parts to fix mine from a hobby shop that was having a 50% off sale and the progression of the Hirobo lineage was quite obvious as I dug through all the parts bins from the previous decades. It was like being a kid in a candy store and I learned alot from it.

This Shuttle plus uses a bigger tank than the ZX but still not as large as the one they fit into yours. The Shuttle Plus servo tray for the throttle and Pitch can be located in two places and the frame has holes for both. You can mount it high for the large tank or low for the small tank.

The landing gear on yours are stock black plastic ZX gear with black aluminum tubes.

Your gyro looks to be the old style mechanical one which is a power hungry beast and should be replaced by a nice JR 500T or Futaba 401 gyro in the same place yours is mounted now, add a fast sport servo for the tail and you'll have a winning combo.

The rotor head has the old style grips ala ZX model with two bearings in each grip but no thrust bearings like those in the Shuttle plus.

Name:	Hf97996.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1150601  
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
khagan72

Wow! Thanks guys! This is a great help and I'll be taking your advice on the replacement parts and upgrades.

glyderjocky - in answer to your question - the clutch assembly doesn't have the top start modification. It has a cone start at the base of the engine to get things running.

Thanks again.
Steven
Old 03-07-2009, 05:10 AM
tjmackey

Your heli has the old school frames, so it doesn't have the holes for the top start bearing block, also those frames didn't have the holes for the radius arm behind the swashplate, it looks as though sombody has just drilled as set and fitted the radius arm. All shuttles are able to be upgraded to the current model, you might just have to upgrade to upgrade.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Thisstrangeengine

I also have an old shuttle and I'd like to do some upgrades. Which newer models(s) are inter-changeable? I want to replace the entire swashplate assembly top to bottom.
Any help would be appreciated... Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Bobou812

Can any one help with radical tail rotor. Hirobo shuttle I set it up by the book however the tail will not trim out. IE at low rpm it tails right spins I have to counter with the stick even with trim maxed to the right. then at half throttle it starts pushing tail opposite I can' t get to hover Help
Old 05-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Bobou812

Further note Turned off radio (inhibit) Revo mix and now have a steady tail no wag no turning left right unless i make it turn. Might be ready to hover now.
What is revo mixing for?? aerobatic's or what?