Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

boom strike

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
glydrjocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boom strike

Hello,

I suffered a boom strike with my Shuttle ZX and need some advice on what parts to use for replacement. I have looked at all the standard parts websites and it seems that everything being sold for Shuttles is for the most modern versions. I have damaged the tail rotor and the mixer input rods but they look nothing like the latest versions being sold.

My question is.........am I going to have to do a complete replacement to the newest specs or is there any ZX specific rotor head parts available or can I get a replacement yoke for the mixer rod end. The newest style has a ball link on both ends but I think that style would interfere with the seesaw assembly. I noticed the new parts are relieved for clearance.

Photo is of the damaged link from the swash plate to the mixer and the damaged tail rotor assembly.

Thanks,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60742.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	715527  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: boom strike

Contact Jeff Green at MRC/Altech, he can help you out with your questions.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Mrclueless

www.mtahobbies.com they have the parts you need, and are listed by part number.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 AM
glydrjocky

Thanks for the link Mrclu,

After doing some digging I found that the orignal link has indeed been discontinued. The new link, 0402-512 needs a new upper mixing arm 0402-507 and I went ahead and ordered 0402-506 which is the seesaw assembly that is clearanced for the above part #s

I went ahead and put in an order for $150 in parts, hopefully I'll be crash ready again very soon!

Thanks again,

Tony
Old 07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Mrclueless

WOW only $150, thats great. Last time I cartwheeled my Raptor 90 it cost $500. So...I dont do cartwheels anymore.. I love my little shuttle, its easy to fix and fly. Do you have a flying club over there in Livermore?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
glydrjocky

Yes, actually we have two R/C clubs in Livermore. One is near Hwy 580 and the other lies between Vasco and N Livermore exits off of 580.

Tony
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
glydrjocky

Whew! Finally got all the parts together for my boom strike repair. Its interesting to note that the pitch change links from the swash plate to the upper mixing arm are different on the shuttle plus vs the shuttle ZX. I ended up ordering a new style mixing arm which required a new style seesaw. The instructions talked about the differnt rod end types used and gave optional part #'s This is the information I was looking for in the beginning and probably could have saved my old links and mixing arm with some optional rod ends they listed. By this time I just went with the parts I ordered and everything just fell together.

I balanced my blades, tracked them at the field ( this actually was alot easier than I expected.) There was about a 1/4 inch missmatch in the tracking so I did exactly what the manual said. Moved links until I couldnt really tell which blade was which then went a half turn on each link for good measure and WHAMO! Insta-tracking achieved!!!!!!!! I couldnt believe it..................

I hovered around with the training gear lumber strapped to the landing gear and it hovered quiet well. I tossed the old mechanical gyro for a JR 410 and man what a difference. I lost a ton of weight and gained about 5x less power consumption......... The tail-lock feature took a bit getting used to but it really does a nice job on heading hold. I got the tail rotor set up close with the rate funciton first then switched to the tail lock.

Pitch the training lumber!!!!!! I got to the field and found out I forgot my training gear. Oh well, I had hovered fine with it, might as well try without it!!! Wow, it fly's WAY better without all that garbage hanging on the bottom. I will never be using that thing again. I thought of it as a safety net at first, and it was probably a good idea in the beginning, but now its on to bigger and better things!

Thanks for all the help and happy hovering!

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18920.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	741284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81581.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	741285   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28257.jpg
Views:	43