Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Hirobo Support Forum
Reload this Page >

Hirobo Shuttle (dont know model)

Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

Hirobo Shuttle (dont know model)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Sarosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hirobo Shuttle (dont know model)

I got a Hirobo Shuttle for free, came with standard servos, and a OS 60 something engine. I own a Raptor 50 Titan, crashed it, so waiting on new parts, which havent ordered so might not be flying that raptor again for a week or 2. So i decided to put my GY401 and Futaba 6EXHP tx and rx on. checked the pitch setup and aligned it to have it at 0 on bottom throttle, 5 degree on middle throttle and 9 degree on the top. with a 10 percent incremental difference in 2 and 4 from curve 3. and aligned the paddles, setup the gy401.

this is a interesting design, pretty much crappy design to me, it is ***** to change the plug, and you cannot plug in glow starter, need to use the remote glow adapter, so i took mine off the raptor, installed it, but there were no where to mount it to ground it to the motor. so i had to half assed rig it with a wire to ground it to the glo starter lol.. but it works!

so its running high head speeds, richen it and still had to richen it more!!! its way over 2 turns out on the main needle.

at half throttle its just not lifting off, gained more throttle, nothing... its not shaking or anything but when i close the throttle, the tail rotor stops??? theres no autorotation gear on there.. i guess the tail belt is on a gear with one way bearing, a very small gear..

it was getting dark, so i decided to just full throttle it and see what happens.. no lift off!! but its pretty high rpm so as i gained the throttle i stepped back behind a tree LOL then slammed the stick all way up hehe

everytime when i close the throttle, it hops all over the place like crazy!!!

this is odd helicopter to me.

so i am wondering, does the flybar have to be perfectly level with the heli for pitch alignment? i have no idea on the engine, will ahve to look on the side to see if theres a model number or something on there. but at 2 turns out, its got crazy head speeds going on. and no lift off?? whats the normal pitch angle for this helicopter? 9 degree pitch and it doesnt do anything.. maybe the servo is worn out and not strong enough to move it or something?

About canopy, where can i find one? will any shuttle canopy fit? i cant be sure what model level it is, but all i know is that it looks alot like any other shuttles out there on google image search.

thats all i gotta say for now, but this heli looks like it an antique compared to my raptor! lol
Old 08-23-2007, 07:00 AM
rhilvers

Default RE: Hirobo Shuttle (dont know model)

Can you post a pic? That would help.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
mrc-hirobo

For accurate pitch reading, yes the flybar needs to be level,

If you can post a pic so we can identify it for you. Hirobo never made a Shuttle 60.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Sarosh

Umm thats what i did with the pitch and flybars.. umm still wont lift off. will try it again tomorrow or this weekend, also reblance the blades to see if its off.

as of pics, will have to wait until tomorrow maybe. because its late (for me) i just got home from dinner with family and my X-country flight with my CFI. now its time to sleep and work at 6am.

Thanks guys for helping. will ahve pics up for sure sometimes soon! and as of 60 engine, thats what the guy told me when he handed it to me. I will check the engine out again too.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Mrclueless

You have a tach that you can see what head speed you are getting? Loose blade grips will make it jump around when you shut the throttle. Are you using an idle up switch? Does your radio have a hover throttle and pitch adjust knob? Mine does, I was having a similar problem untill I realized I had the hover pitch turned down so that I was losing 10 percent of my pitch when I tried to hover. You said the needle is 2 turns out, my Enya .35 on my Hirobo I run 3 and a quarter turns out. Every engine is different. I have a Rapter .90 SE as well, but I still like my lil shuttle. Its cheaper to fix when I bend it up.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Sarosh

dont have hover and pitch adjust knob, i have Normal and Idle up settings for throttle and pitch curves. i am only running normal for now to figure things out before setting up idle up. I have for the pitch curve on normal set to have curve 1 at 0 degree pitch on the blade, curve 3 set to 5 degree, curve 5 set to 9 degrees, with 2 and 4 10 percent incremental difference from curve 3 on the screen.

I have IC rotospeed optical onboard tach.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Mrclueless

So what head speed you getting? Maybe try inhibiting 2 and 4 so it splits the difference from low to mid and mid to high. Unless I misunderstood (which happens alot to me) 10 percent of 5 degrees isnt much pitch for 3/4 stick. I think you wanted to know about a canopy. MRC sells parts for Hirobo, but out here on the west coast I buy from www.MTAhobbies.com. For mine I set my throttle curve to top out at 65 percent for hovering around and teaching. I see you are getting your liscense to fly. You doing helis or fixed wing? I am dual commercial helicopter and fixed wing.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:01 PM
glydrjocky

Here's what I just learned yesterday. When the head speeds go up on the earlier shuttles without the thrust bearings in the head, the helicopter gets very heavy on the controls. In fact, if its made for a .32 and youve got a .60 (not sure if that is possible) the CRAZY HEAD SPEEDS are gonna lock the head up tight is my guess.

On my OS .32 two turns on the main needle is WAY too rich. From this point I didnt get it to come off the ground until I was at 1.5 on the idle needle and 1 3/4 on the main needle. Strangely these settings turned out to be the same as what the book recommends. I was just going by feel when I got to these settings. Its a balance between the two for the midrange . It wants to break ground at 5 degrees +. I'm at +9 and -3 overall.

Mine is hovering nicely now.

I have a video of what it looks like when its too rich and when its just about right.

Too rich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciPMPvRfBs

Just about right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn1tuRVOIUQ