Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shuttle Plus .37 meets the Throttle Jockey

After rebuilding from a rather epic crash of my Shuttle Plus ( wind+fatigue+distance+lack of orientation+bad JR410T tail lock= $350+ ), I decided to embark on a campain to tame the rather powerful OS .37. This motor/heli combination has to be running the ragged edge of what the engineers ever designed the Shuttle to do. While playing around with the pitch curves I found that at full throttle the OS .37 could actually pull 12 degrees pitch and laugh at you while doing it. This equated to fwd flight speeds that made you wonder if the Shuttle would actually pull itself apart in flight. I thought about limiting the full throttle curve but didnt want to lose the full throttle potential of this motor. So while I was rebuilding her I went ahead and ordered the Throttle Jockey Pro. It went together quite nicely, requiring only a small hole be drilled in the fan for the second magnet and with the addition of the Hirobo extended battery tray "mechanical plate" it made for a nice platform to mount the TJ, receiver, and battery. This also helped the CG by shifting the weight forward. Pitched the waisted 410T gyro for the JR500T.

Using an all Quick UK metal head and Mavrikk G5 blades I found the addition of the TJ to be a rather pleasant surprise. I ran two tanks through it yesterday and was amazed how consistant throttle management helps the overall stability. She still climbs like a bat out of hell but the headspeed is so much more predicable. The JR500T was head and shoulders above the performance of the JR410 giving a stunning Piroette rate and more solid tail lock with no tail wag. Looking forward to more testing today.

Had to fly between rain showers yesterday but the sun is peeking through the blinds this morning!

Happy Hovers!

T
    \" The only people who truly know where the \"edge\" lies, are those who have gone over\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Shuttle Plus .37 meets the Throttle Jockey

thats great, i also have the shuttle with the os 37 engine, i bought a throttle jockey from a guy from ebay for 22.00 i think im gonna need the hall sensor? as the box is the only part i got, is that correct? thanks for your help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I believe there are two types of sensors you can use with the Throttle Jockey.

One is the magnetically triggered "hall effect" type that I used and the other is an optical sensor that requires aluminum tape light triggers bonded to the underside of the fan.

I think there are sensor kits available from the manufacturer as you will need the cables that go from the receiver throttle channel to the TJ and they are male/male cables not the normal male/female extentions.

My TJ Pro came with two magnets, one for the trigger and the other is only for balance. The magnets need to be installed with opposite poles facing out on the fan. The sensor is only triggered by one pole of the magnet. The directions require you to stick the magnets together then use a marker to paint the exposed faces black. Then install the magnets with the blackened faces outward and you will have the opposing poles in the proper location. The Shuttle Plus fan comes with only one magnet hole so I just drilled the second hole opposite it after some careful measuring.

Hopefully you got the instructions as the are invaluable in helping with the setup of your TJ. If not I'm sure they are available online.

As for the flying, its really tamed this bird down quite a bit. Its quickly becoming one of my favorite helicopters.

Tony
    \" The only people who truly know where the \"edge\" lies, are those who have gone over\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been toying with the idea of installing a Throttle Jockey on my Caliber 3, which, with its standard .36 Kyosho engine, combined with the alt I live at (5600ft) is a rather frustrating combination. I have been told that it would be a waste of cash but considdering the absolute precision I have gotten from the Throttle Jockey on my Freya, I still think I could benefit from such an expense. The little Kyosho engine is either powerless at richer settings or over revs and over heats two clicks leaner. I have tuned the throttle/pitch curves endlessly with no real winning combo... You think the rev limiter would help?

Regards
    Anton
    lest the earth come up and smite thee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, 5,600 feet is a challange as your really going to start and feel any power loss. I'm just curious if bumping the compression with a couple thousandths thinner head gasket is a cheap altitude fix? Would that give a little extra power at a richer setting? I saw some folks discussing this on another site but cant say where for sure. Otherwise, there's no substitute for cubic inches...

I fly real gliders in the Sierras and have noted the longer take off runs behind the tow plane at 4600 feet on a warm day not to mention the glider breaking ground at a much faster ground speed and higher true airspeed than a sea level takeoff. Altitude issues are very real in wing/ rotor blade / propeller and engine performance. Its very noticable from the cockpit, and this knowledge has been very helpful when flying R/C.

Now the governor might not be much help if the engine is over heating so easily. Sounds like there are other issues to iron out with the engine before a governor will fix the problem.

Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thx for that Tony. I have never been treated to a flight down at the coast so I dont know what I'm missing out on! It is also mid summer here now, so even at around 6PM the average temp hangs around 30°C (90°F ?), as you mentioned, density altitude probably puts me around 7000ft! I can hardly imagine what sea level would do to the .91YS in my Freya! Anyway, I could probably spend my money better than to throw it at the Caliber.

Thx again for the advice
    Anton
    lest the earth come up and smite thee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like you have definite altitude challanges where you fly, but as long as you understand the limitations of your equipment you should be able to meet those challenges head on.

We were flying at a few hundred feet above sea level today in around 40 degree F temps. Performance with my .37 Shuttle was fantastic. Dialed in the throttle jockey settings to give me a solid 1800 rpm and fantastic performance using a buddies Skytach. My friends Trex 700 put in some awesome flights too!

Cold windy but oh so fun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro engines are harder to deal with when it comes to the cold. Nitro is hard to ignite when the temperature is low. I was helping out a friend tune his new RC nitro truck in cooler weather and I could tune it, and run it for 5 minuets. The second it shut off I would have to retune it a bit richer and when it warmed up tune it back. It was just a head ache. I would rather wait until it gets a bit warmer to fly my birds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great advice on cold weather runs! In California we rarely get the chance to see temps that low! Great that you came up with a system to get it running and dialed in!

T