RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Hirobo Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hirobo-support-forum-477/)
-   -   Help with Shuttle ZX-A (Arf?) rotor head setup. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hirobo-support-forum-477/11234105-help-shuttle-zx-arf-rotor-head-setup.html)

Scirocco14 09-19-2012 07:17 PM

Help with Shuttle ZX-A (Arf?) rotor head setup.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I'm hoping a Hirobo expert can help me with a Shuttle ZX-A I recently purchased on Ebay. I guess it was an ARF kit, and it had never been built. It has an Enya 35SS engine in it, with belt start.

It did not come with a manual, so I downloaded the manual for the Z, ZX, and ZXX online. A lot of what I have is similar to what is in the manual but I'm stumped with the rotor head setup.

The problem I'm having is that the rotor head I have is different than what is in the manual. the manual says to set the washout guide 90º to the mast hole (jesus bolt?) but I cannot make this guide be 90º and still connect the links. The position it seems to want to be in is 45º to the rotor head axis.

Below are pictures of the rotor head. Is this the way it came from the factory or am I just missing something?? The biggest difference seems to be the link from the mixer arm to the swashplate. The regular Z, ZX, and ZXX rotorheads have ball links on each end of the link, but what I have has one ball link and a clevis type connection at the mixer arm. See photos below.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to maiden this heli soon but want to make sure it's going to fly properly with the rotor head setup like it is.

Thanks!

Mark

glydrjocky 05-15-2013 12:32 AM

RE: Help with Shuttle ZX-A (Arf?) rotor head setup.

Wow, I hope you figured this out as this is an old post. The vertical guide pin is supposed to line up with the vertical slot in the aluminum hub that is 90 degrees to the jesus bolt. I hope you didn't try to fly it like that.

Scirocco14 05-15-2013 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: glydrjocky

Wow, I hope you figured this out as this is an old post. The vertical guide pin is supposed to line up with the vertical slot in the aluminum hub that is 90 degrees to the jesus bolt. I hope you didn't try to fly it like that.
I ended up bending the links so that the guide was 90 degrees to the jesus bolt. It flies just fine. Thanks!Mark

glydrjocky 05-22-2013 04:20 AM

Good to hear. I had the same head on my ZX and now that I think about it the factory link that drives the mixing arm did have a bend in it. I had a crash with mine early on and could not fine that curved rod end which I broke. I ended up upgrading to the newest Shuttle plus configuration which required the newest mixing arm with ball connection, straight rod and standard rod end. Hirobo did a great job in making sure that older machines can use the latest upgrades.

Enjoy the Shuttle.

T