Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Aurora 9 and opti kill

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 PM
bemeson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora 9 and opti kill

Can someone tell me how to hook up the opti kill on this radio. I have done the following:

Connected battery to lead on EMS switch
Connected lead out of switch to opti kill
Lead from opti kill to ignition.
Assigned channel 8 on my Aurora 9 channel reciever as the port
Assigned "F" on the radio as on/off switch
In EPA put the values to max
Placed long opti kill lead into reciever port 8 on the reciever

I can not get the LED to light. I know the battery is good cause I checked the voltage. The battery is a 2 cell life 1700 Mah. Switch is good cause I checked it.

Oh yea I checked to see if the radio program is good by hooking up a servo to check. It worked.
What is the deal. All help is appreciated.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aurora 9 and opti kill

ORIGINAL: bemeson Can someone tell me how to hook up the opti kill on this radio. I have done the following:
Connected battery to lead on EMS switch
Connected lead out of switch to opti kill
Lead from opti kill to ignition.
Assigned channel 8 on my Aurora 9 channel reciever as the port
Assigned "F" on the radio as on/off switch
In EPA put the values to max
Placed long opti kill lead into reciever port 8 on the reciever
I can not get the LED to light. I know the battery is good cause I checked the voltage. The battery is a 2 cell life 1700 Mah. Switch is good cause I checked it.
Oh yea I checked to see if the radio program is good by hooking up a servo to check. It worked.
What is the deal. All help is appreciated.
No previous reported problem nor any known local users with a "Opti Kill" with which to test.
1. Function working can be verified in Monitor screen as well as with a servo. Should be no need to extend EPA., perhaps that has exceeded parameter of units design as reported with some JR/Spektrum servos.
2. Downloaded instruction manual, copy attached. First thought is that the plug into the RXsocket is upside down -Black should lineup with Blackof Hitec leads.- refer page 2&3 of attached sheet.
Otherwise, similar problems/results reported with other brand TX may assist.
Help with Opti Kill Switch 9C
Help with Opti Kill Switch 7C

Otherwise, please refer direct to the owner, Ken Anderson , of "42 Percent Products Opti-Kill" .
[Hitec RCD cannot assure compatibility with non-Hitec equipment.
There's just too much of it out there for them all to betested.
It's also not Hitec's responsibility to insure such compatibility.
The maker of the non-Hitec equipment must make sure their items are compatible if they are making such a claim.
Many times, non-Hitec equipment is used with Hitec equipment even when no claims of compatibility are made by the maker of the non-Hitec equipment, yet the modeler expects universal compatibility.]

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl28629.pdf (57.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just a rookie but the way I do my smart fly kill switches is this:
1. find an open channel
2. set the channel to Aux 1 ( or whatever Aux is open )
3. for the selected channel select whatever switch ( I use G )
4. reverse menu then used to make it work the position wanted

this may have been said in a different way, but this works for me.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: A.T.
Aurora 9 - After Market Accessories: e.g. Opti-kill, Sparkswitch, Duralite, Powerbox
<hr size="1" style="background-color: #a7a7a7; color: #a7a7a7" />
This post/header will supersede FAQ page entry dated 22Mar2011 as:
Aurora 9 - Throttle Control - V1.08 Opti-kill _ Sparkswitch - Duralite & Powerbox etc.

original post 19 Dec 2010
- quote:
"No previous reported problem nor any known local users with a "Opti Kill" with which to test.
1. Function working can be verified in Monitor screen as well as with a servo. Should be no need to extend EPA.,
perhaps that has exceeded parameter of units design as reported with some JR/Spektrum servos.
2. Downloaded instruction manual, copy attached. First thought is that the plug into the RX socket is upside down
- Black should line up with Black of Hitec leads. - refer page 2&3 of attached sheet.
Otherwise, similar problems/results reported with other brand TX may assist.
Help with Opti Kill Switch 9C
Help with Opti Kill Switch 7C
Otherwise, please refer direct to the owner, Ken Anderson, of "42 Percent Products Opti-Kill" .

"Hitec RCD cannot assure compatibility with non-Hitec equipment.
There's just too much of it out there for them to be able to test.
It's also not their responsibility to insure such compatibility.
The maker of the non-Hitec equipment must make sure their items are compatible
- if they are making such a claim.
Many times, non-Hitec equipment is used with Hitec equipment even when no claims of compatibility
are made by the maker of the non-Hitec equipment, yet the modeler expects universal compatibility."

If using any form of aftermarket Opto-Coupled Remote Gas Engine Kill Switch, such as Opti-Kill
or other brand of electronic switch or electronic accessory / add-on, to prevent any potential conflict,
check for correct servo port setting as "Nor" or "Rev" to be used.
e.g. Opti-Kill's servo port must be to "Rev" when used with an Aurora V1.08+.
Question: "When I do a range check my sparkswitch shuts off. I still have control of all the surfaces and the receiver lights don't change. I have it set up on channel 6, and the spring switch on the right top Is this a range check issue or a sparkswitch issue? I have another sparkswitch so I will try and switch it out and see if that works"
Answer: As above, intermittant electronic interference similar to using an ESC which works with majority of brands servo port set to "NOR" but will only work correctly with say Futaba TX set to "REV"
( e.g. all Futaba servos work in reverse direction to Hitec/JR/Sanwa/Airtronics etc.)

Update 5/3/2011

Problem with the sparkswitch = Opti-Kill
"So I figured out the problem with the sparkswitch.
I did contact Duralite and Powerbox Systems and they were very helpful in getting some additional troubleshooting. <snip></snip>It seems there is a programming issue when the servo is in the Normal, not reversed, setting. I have it working now."
Confirmed 01 May 2011.
"Alright guys, I just wanted to give everyone an update on the range issue problem I've been having on my 30%!
Flew my 30% and 100cc planes all weekend long and yes, I too can now confirm the fix works!!!
Once I changed my channel 8 (opti-kill channel) to "REV" rather than "NOR",
I do not have an in-flight range issue when flying very far away.
Believe me, I tried and tried to get it to loose link or cut the ignition for a split second and I couldn't.
Flew the plane to a dot and that range issue is long gone having reversed those channels."

Miracle Switch
1. Miracle Switch posts 1,4 & 8.
Miracle Switch Problems posts 12, 60 & 63
2. WRC Wike R/C Products IBEF Ignition Battery Eliminating Filter - Manual,
should not present any problem set up either via a spare channel or in the manual setup .

Optima Transceiver (RX) - PowerExpander Connections

Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl29149.pdf (57.5 KB, 29 views)