Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec 645 MG Servo Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hitec 645 MG Servo Failure?

I was in the hobby shop today and a friend was talking about servo failures. He said that he had lost 3 airplanes because of the Hitec 645 MG servo locked over to full deflection or just locking up. He went on to say the major hobby shop in OKC OK will not sell these servos because of their failure rate. I have use 1 of these servos off & on for over three years with no problems. My main concern is that I recently bought 6 of these servo for my 1/4 scale War World 1 airplanes. I read all the threads posted here back 2006 and could not find any repeated issues with these servos. Have any of you had problems with these servos?

Thanks
Rich
Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec 645 MG Servo Failure?

I've had a bunch of 625, 645, 5625 and 5645 servos and never had a single failure. The 5645s don't center real well, but I've never had one fail. Never heard of one failing around here either.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
jwrich

Thanks for your response, I hope other share their experiences as well.

Rich
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had a problem with 645s. A bunch of scale pilots use these with very good results. I cannot explain your friends failures as the 645 has a great reputation for reliablility.
John
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM
jwrich

That is what I plan to do with the 6 that I bought.

Thanks for your input
Rich
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Brendan Lugo

The 6XX series has always been a very popular sport level servo. I dont know what your buddy is using them in but if he's going through them like that then he's got something setup incorrectly or does not have the right servo for his application.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
jwrich

I think he had them in a giant scale TF/GP P51 on the ailerons and the rudder. He said he had to replace the metals gears twice on the ailerons before they locked up. I think excess vibration was the cause of the failure. I not sure what the problems were that resulted in the Hobby Shop in OKC to stop selling them if that is the case. Maybe I can get a deal on the the remaining new ones he has left.

Thanks
Rich
Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: jwrich

I think he had them in a giant scale TF/GP P51 on the ailerons and the rudder. He said he had to replace the metals gears twice on the ailerons before they locked up. I think excess vibration was the cause of the failure. I not sure what the problems were that resulted in the Hobby Shop in OKC to stop selling them if that is the case. Maybe I can get a deal on the the remaining new ones he has left.

Thanks
Rich

If he had to replace the gears twice in it chances are he had also damaged the top case support for the center gear shaft and that should have also been replaced. What probably happened was he replaced the gears but not the case so the area where the center gear shaft connects to th eupper and mid case was egged out allowing the shaft to move enough to jam the gears and lock up the servo.