Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Aurora 9/Optima 9 voltage reading

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora 9/Optima 9 voltage reading

I am currently running two A123 6.6V 2500mah packs to my receiver. After a couple of flights, my receiver battery alarm starts beeping, as if the voltage is getting low. I can put a load tester to the switch, and the voltage reads to be good. Why is the telemetry system reading low voltage?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aurora 9/Optima 9 voltage reading

You have to set the voltage level in the module and I believe the transmitter so the threshold is low enough.
But also while flying the voltage will be lower depending on the draw. If you have digital servos and some are working too hard, they could be drawing a lot of amps.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone into the transmitter and changed the settings to as low as they will go for the receiver. How do I change the settings in the module?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: yard-dart I've gone into the transmitter and changed the settings to as low as they will go for the receiver. How do I change the settings in the module?
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Low Battery Warning settings for both Aurora & Spectra 2.4Ghz module.
Adjustable LBW Voltage Alerts V1.07 up (not available V1.04<06).

extract
"2. Minimum set separately on the Spectra 2.4 module via HPP-22
a) Auto select for 4&5 cell NiCD & NiMH packs is used is 4.5v. (NB after any upgrade/change "save" must be applied)
b) A customised setting, when using SPC to view EP power pack voltage level, is also available.
Custom setting start display shows LBW at 5.5v. However, user is presently able to customise from 35.0v down to 3.5v.
. Lipo Power packs typical LBW at 3.3v per cell
"It does depend on the model type, current draw and the battery C rating but I typically
use 3.3v per cell for almost everything. - Mike."

. A123 Low battery Warning settings at 3.0v per cell. and cautions re false labels on A123 packs.
If using BEC with no separate full voltage lead to SPC, suggest saving the same auto select for 4&5
cell packs or saving the same minimum custom setting as the auto set LBW of 4.5v, otherwise simply
save the starting 5.5v minimum displayed.]"

Also whenever an event (odd alarm/failsafe etc) occurs, depress the battery icon which will open the main battery sensor screen.
Battery sensor screen page 1/3 shows the Maximum and Minimum battery levels during the flight.
Very handy for checking current draw during flight as any spikes will be revealed and servos/leads etc can be re-checked.
. Aurora 9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, Voltage Level Interpretation & Consumption.
.""Battery Low Voltage Alarm1. Voltage alarm may or may not sound on Aurora when RX/Power battery is disconnected.
This is because the telemetry cycles about 3 times/second. Sometimes when the battery is unplugged, it will sense the voltage drop
and the warning will kick in, but sometimes it won't

This may also assist:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy, even one for each servo.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Modules, Optima & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links