Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Supreme 8 receiver - malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Supreme 8 receiver - malfunction

Hi Mike;
I just purchased two Hitec Supreme 8 recivers- one turned out evil and one turned out good. The evil one worked great on the ground and in a 100 foot radio test but in the air the plane flew about 200-300 feet and started to go out of controll and crashed. The transmitter has worked with other airplanes and the plane had flew around 50 times with different receiver. The other Supreme 8 works great and I really like it's smooth controll. I returned the defective receiver to Servo City for exchange. What can cause a new receiver to malfunction like this.

Also is there any insurance for people that loose there plane when using defective radio components through Hitec. My loss was about $130.

The receiver still worked moving the controll surfaces of the crashed plane when I retrtieved it. Of course I tried it up close.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:59 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hitec Supreme 8 receiver - malfunction

It is difficult to say what the problem was and without sending it to us we will never know. Unfortunately there is no insurance for model aircraft and can be destroyed every time they go up due to hundreds of reasons. A good range check on the ground with the engine running would indicate that there may be another issue that caused the interference.

Mike.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:30 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

i found out after a year of searching for a interference prob that i had a bad filter in a brand new supreme 8 reciever and i sent it in and mike and the boys found it and fixed it for free and now it also works great ,i have four of them and love them
Old 10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Volante24

Can you share how did you locate the troublemaker? Or, which test would you suggest to check that it is not an issue with the receivers I have (before crushing the plane!)?

Nick

ORIGINAL: 3dd

i found out after a year of searching for a interference prob that i had a bad filter in a brand new supreme 8 reciever and i sent it in and mike and the boys found it and fixed it for free and now it also works great ,i have four of them and love them
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best approach is to send the suspect RX to Hitec Service for a free inspection and repair if need be... I suspect Hitec determined the filter was bad re the note above.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Volante24

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Best approach is to send the suspect RX to Hitec Service for a free inspection and repair if need be... I suspect Hitec determined the filter was bad re the note above.
Well, I own about ten Hitec receivers to be used if needed, in different locations. Sending them all to the Service would be impractical, let me put it this way, since I do not have a particular reason to suspect them. What would be the reasonable way to test them beforehand? I cannot fly, otherwise I would have picked up one and test it in the air. The simplest thing is to walk away with the receiver and a couple of servos connected and check the servo operation. I did this with one or two receivers and they worked well up to no more than half a mile. But this is on the ground... Is it a reasonably good test? Another thing I can do is open the receiver and test the voltage on pin 12 of 31136 (RSSI). But would this be better?

Nick
Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
3D Joy

Bad filters problems show up under vibration from my experience. Do a range check with and without the engine running. If there is no difference (or a very small difference) you are good to fly.

Supreme 8 receivers are known to be the very best in FM receivers. I have one that have flown for more than 3 years and it never got a glitch!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Electriceddie

Ditto:

They are good, if not the best receivers thats why we use only Supreme 8's in Q-500 Racing.

OohRa
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Volante24

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Bad filters problems show up under vibration from my experience. Do a range check with and without the engine running. If there is no difference (or a very small difference) you are good to fly.

Supreme 8 receivers are known to be the very best in FM receivers. I have one that have flown for more than 3 years and it never got a glitch!
A good suggestion. However, walking with our TT Easy Trainer 40 with the engine running for half a mile is little pleasure (although I truly love it ). Besides, the receiver is very well packed into double absorption envelopes, therefore I would not think it may feel much vibration. Probably just testing it alone while putting on something vibrating can provide a better and more portable testbench...

Well, we once flew on a field where even Supreme 8 regularly experienced glitches at a certain position, at a rather limited range. A SC GWS there was out of question -- we tried it on an electric trainer, but after it went to a sudden deep dive for a second just after a few seconds in the air, my son landed it and did not try to fly it there again.

Nick
Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nick doing a range check without the engine running and throttled up to full throttle at the max colapsed antenna range is worse than no range check at all.

Colapse the antenna you do not need to walk a 'half mile'.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
MikeRuth

You may want to read this about vibration, [link]http://www.servotestsite.com/page10.html[/link]
ORIGINAL: Volante24

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

A good suggestion. However, walking with our TT Easy Trainer 40 with the engine running for half a mile is little pleasure (although I truly love it ). Besides, the receiver is very well packed into double absorption envelopes, therefore I would not think it may feel much vibration. Probably just testing it alone while putting on something vibrating can provide a better and more portable testbench...

Well, we once flew on a field where even Supreme 8 regularly experienced glitches at a certain position, at a rather limited range. A SC GWS there was out of question -- we tried it on an electric trainer, but after it went to a sudden deep dive for a second just after a few seconds in the air, my son landed it and did not try to fly it there again.

Nick
Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Electriceddie

Personally glitches from a receiver are mostly BS. If your getting glitches are you sure its not just that your a beginner experiencing some thermals, wind gusts or turbulance and are interpeting them as radio glitches? Most of the times when planes go with the same equipment that is new and there have been several flights on a plane without any issues and the plane goes in, I would bet that 95% of the time it is pilot error. I have seen this happen so many times before. If it is some radio issues that you truly are having then your problem probably is somewhere in the link of the connections. What I mean by that is switches, extensions or a bad servo. Not the receiver. Take a look at the problem again with this in mind and you may find out where your issues really are.

Good Luck
Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Volante24

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

It is difficult to say what the problem was and without sending it to us we will never know.
Mike.
Mike,

What should be precisely the 2d het frequency in your receivers? I assumed 11.155MHz sharp. However I checked several of my Hitec receivers (Supremes and Electrons) and they seem to oscillate more like on 11.156 or 11.157, i.e. 1 or 2 kHz higher. Is it designed to be pulled up a bit, or it is just a production spread/aging within allowed tolerance? I can tweak it to the desired frequency, but should this be done and which one to target? With 3kHz bandwidth a 2kHz offset at first glance does not look totally neutral...

Nick
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
MikeMayberry

Are you having problems? If not, then don't worry about it. If you are, then send it into us and we will check it out.

In the future, please post new questions in new thread instead of tagging them on to old threads.

Mike.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Volante24

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Are you having problems? If not, then don't worry about it. If you are, then send it into us and we will check it out.
I am just afraid once I have had problems it would be a bit too late to send the receiver anywhere. For plain range check we don't send out; so I reckoned if I can do another simple test which requires nothing to me but placing the receiver by the dedicated digital tuner I have, why don't do this?
In the future, please post new questions in new thread instead of tagging them on to old threads.
Mike.
I shall. I remembered you answered how you at Hitec test the receivers and thought it was in this thread.