Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Evo 12 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 12 question

Hello Mike,
After reading on these EVOs for the last few weeks, I just gotta switch over! I do have a couple questions that may be have been answered. I now use the eclipse, with Hitec RXs, and Hitec servos (mostly digitals), with 4,000 MAH 4.8V NIMH RX packs. I am looking at getting the EVO 12 with the 12 channel RX. Somewhere I read that the 12 channel RX has separate ports for two RX packs, both diode protected. Then I read that you should use 5 cell packs for that RX to make up for power comsumed by diode circuit. I may be getting confused here so bear with me.
1) When I do this switch, will I need to replace all my 4.8 packs with 6V, or can I stay with the 4.8Vs?

2) Charging, I now use the dymond turbo for charging all my packs, will I be able to charge through the TX circuit with that charger, or will I need to charge directly to the pack, and lose the MAH tracking system on the TX?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-17-2003, 06:39 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Evo 12 question

That is news to me that there is a diode in the 12 channels RX. Where did you read this? You should be able to use either a 4 or 5 cell pack. In the transmitter battery there is what MPX calls a !QUOT!Safety element!QUOT!; this is basically a resetable fuse for protection.

Mike.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:57 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Forgive me for intruding Mike!

The 12 channel Rx has 3 battery ports. One is to be used for single battery packs and can be used with 4 or 5 cell batteries, it is not diode protected. The other 2 ports are to be used when you want two flight batteries, they are diode protected and must be used with 5 cell batteries to allow for the nearly 1 volt loss due to the forward voltage of the diodes.

Step up chargers which are capable of charging more than 8 cells must not be connected via the main charging socket, to use such a charger requires requires disconnecting the battery from the Tx and charging it direct.

Harry
Old 11-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks,
The trouble is, I have a pile of good 4 cell 4000 MAH packs here, and would like to keep using them. I also use two packs/switches on the RX. Could I use two 4 cell packs Y-ed to the one single port? I know that would defeat the protection between batteries, but I just like redundant switches, and the extra MAH.
Thanks again,
Jim
Old 11-18-2003, 03:37 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Friar_Tuck
Could I use two 4 cell packs Y-ed to the one single port?
Yes.

H