Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Have you heard of this happening to hitec servos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:43 AM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you heard of this happening to hitec servos

I am at a loss,plane too[&o]. Anyways I had the following set up in a Sig Mayhem, HS 77BB in ailerons and 605 on the elevator , 645 rudder, R148DF RX, running a 6v 1800MaH NiCad. It was it's sixth flight. I was coming around from a wide turn, not flying very fast at all, and suddenly both ailerons fluttered, and I not sure fluttered is the word, both appeared to have full deflection both up and down very rapidly, and then no response what so ever. Attempted to fly plane to the ground using rudder and elevator. Got about 10" from the ground and then lost elavator control. The plane went in. Upon checking everything out, found the nylon gears were completely stripped on the HS77BB and the 605, Rx no response from TX. Checked the cyrstal in another receiver and the crystal was fine.
Question is, could the battery have shorted the RX out somehow causing the servos to go, for the lack of a better word, "Nuts" giving the full deflection very rapidly causing the gears to strip. As I said before, I was not flying fast, as I know the 3D planes are to be flown slow.
Has anyone else experience something like this, or can someone come up with another possible cause.
Thanks,
Dhammer
Old 03-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Have you heard of this happening to hitec servos

I think you may be overlooking the obvious in an attempt to prove the unlikely.

Think it through: The ailerons fluttered (flutter isn't a function of speed as much as it is of slop in linkage... with slop, flutter can happen anytime).
So, the ailerons fluttered, stripped out both ail servo gears which made things suddenly interesting.
Then, you say you "lost elevator control", but more likely, you stalled the aircraft and snapped it into the ground (a slow speed stall/snap would make it "feel" like you lost elevator control. Keep in mind that with the aileron servos stripped, you could easily have had some unintentional spoiler action going on, reducing lift at the speed you had become used to on landing.
Then you say you checked it out and the receiver was dead (bad crystal). That's a surprise? The crystal is the most fragile component in the receiver and even a mild crash with trash a crystal but leave the rest of the receiver in fine shape.

That's the most obvious, simplest scenario as to what actually led to the aircraft's demise.

Highflight
Old 03-14-2004, 06:32 PM
DHammer

Highflight,
No the crystal is fine--works perfectly in another receiver. As far as slop in the linkages, none to very little. I can buy the stall, but there's something here that caused the rapid full deflection of the servos at a very fast rate. Today at the filed consensus is, one, that I got hit from outside interference or two, actually there was some type of a short in the receiver which caused the surfaces to go wild and go full deflection rapidly causing the gears to strip on the servos.
Dhammer
Old 03-17-2004, 01:16 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dh

Sounds like you got hit. Or flutter was the culprit.

You didn't mention if the RX worked after the crash.

It's unlikely a short simply occurred in flight of the RX, SMT construction leaves little to float around internally.

A short may have occurred within the flight system, battery, switch, wiring or? This would typically render the flight system inoperable as soon as the battery was depleted. Intermittent response maybe an effect of said short. Hard to say.

Did you load test and cycle the battery to determined if it was dead or depleted after the crash?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Did you load test and cycle the battery to determined if it was dead or depleted after the crash?

This is where I would be looking.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:22 AM
DHammer

mglavin,
Thanks for the input, and yes I cycled the battery, looks good. The receiver is dead, although the crystal works fine in another receiver.
Again, I have not experienced flutter at all, and at the time of the incident, I was coming around from a slow turn.
While out at the field this weekend, four plane's were lost due to Hits (interference) 3 separate chanels. One of the was Rocco's (owner of Aero Works) 38% Extra, and he has backups on everything. So I now believe it was a "hit", and it appears as though we have a gremlin out at the field were going to have to find.
Dhammer