Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Karbonite gears in HS-6985

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:21 AM
vica6m5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Karbonite gears in HS-6985

I am running 6.0 volts and it weighs about 26 pds and with a 2.4 gas engine..Vic G.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: vica6m5

I am running 6.0 volts and it weighs about 26 pds and with a 2.4 gas engine..Vic G.
Metal geared servos.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Good post so far, but have any questions about Karbonites really been answered?? My take is that they are useless in a plane weighing over 12 # no matter how high they are rated.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

H9 33% Sukhoi w ZDZ-80 and CF gear/wing tube: ~ 23 lbs

220 flights with HS-5925MG's all around before I switched to Karbonite. 111 flights since I switched.

I'm using HS-6975HB's on elevators (1 each) and ailerons (2 each). I'll add them to my floating bellcrank rudder setup when the slop on the current metal gears gets to be too much.

Although I fly a blend of pattern and 3D, when I flip to 3D rates, I don't hold back. I do all of the moves (extreme surface deflection) at low to moderate speed.

I mention (moderate) speed, because I previously stripped a metal geared servo on elevator doing a pop-up at a slightly higher speed.

When I bought my first 33% plane used, it had HS-605BB's (nylon gears) in it that I continued to use without issue for 50 flights doing extreme 3D as well.

I'm a satisfied customer - your mileage may vary.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
olstoney

Scott,
From what I have read, I think the double setup is what is working for you. There was a post on another thread about a guy that had ALL of the 635HB'S strip in a H-9 60 sized Ultrastick. This particular servo is rated better than the old 605, so I would consider that particular servo in that application to be somewhat overkill. The problem here and please do not get me wrong as I own nothing but Hitec equipment, is the way these servos were presented and marketed. Hitec now will tell you not to use Karbonite in a plane weighing over 12#. What are they really saying here?? Customer service has always been outstanding, so no complaints there. I am waiting to see if customers are being charged or not for repairs on a Karbonite gear failure. Of course by then you have already lost your airplane!! Me, I swapped the digitals that I had just purchased for MG servos and the 635HB's that I have in my new UCD 60 are going into a H-9 Twist. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in a 40 sized 3D aircraft.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 AM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

I want to apologize to Hitec and RCUniverse for not honoring the Support Forum Guidelines.

I'm breaking the rules again to draw attention to the documented policy:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/announcement.asp?id=24[/link]
Old 02-10-2005, 07:17 AM
olstoney

Ditto Nuff said.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why should it make a difference whether or not a glow powered or gasoline powered engine is used? Are carbonite gears degraded in presence of a petroleum product?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Brendan Lugo

Gasoline motors create more vibration than a glow engine.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Please don't insult the intelligence of the people on this thread by suggesting that the karbonite geared servos were never intentioned for large scale aircraft. It is obvious from the advertising and from the torque included in some of these servos, that they were intended for large scale aircraft. When is the last time a modeler bought a servo with over 100 oz/in of torque for a 12 pound airplane? Come on, let's be honest here and admitt your mistakes instead of dancing around the issue. Can the gear train support the torque of the servo? If it can't, it is a defective product which cannot be used for the purpose for which it was intended. If Hi Tek stood behind this product, it would gladly replace the gear train with metal gears or allow the end customer to trade up to a metal geared servo and pay the difference in cost. The attitude of,"O well, it's too bad they don't work on your 20 lb airplane, sorry about that", is insulting and condesending and should not be accepted by the consumer.
I hope for the sake of Hi Tek that one of these servos doesn't fail and have an aircraft fly into a bus full of school children. I would suspect that your lawyers would become very busy. You clearly have a defective product here and the sooner you admit it and get it off the market, the more you cut your risk and exposure. Auto manufacturers do it often when a product is discovered to be defective. Unfortunately, this supplier has chosen to ignore the complaints of their customers in hopes that it will go away. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but a good red mouth lawyer would love to compare your advertising with the statements you now make regarding the karbonite geared servos.
Come on guys, do the right thing here and recall these servos. At least it will show some good faith on your part and not the head in the sand attitude that reflects in your responses here.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 PM
MOJO65-9or10

I have had HS-635 servos in a twist, mojo, and now a katana. They are all forty size airplanes that I have tried to fly the wings off of. I have only stripped the gears once and that was after I tore off my tail wheel and continued to fly for the rest of the day with my rudder dragging. The stripping of the gears was MY fault and I think they (HS-635's) are perfect for 40 sized 3D stuff. On bigger planes you will most likly want something a bit stronger and with more torque. I bet I have close to 200 flights on them and love'em