Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec digital servos have horrible resolution

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:51 AM
spog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec digital servos have horrible resolution

My findings show that Hitec servos have terrible resolution. It looks like about 150 steps in normal servo travel. This is using a Futaba 9C super and Hitec and Futaba 8 channel PPM recievers.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4402113/tm.htm

1) What is the resolution of your servos, # of bits please?
2) Is this something that can be changed with the programmer?

This issue is just begging for some more formal tests, save me the trouble.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec digital servos have horrible resolution

Hitec digital servos have equal or better resolution than all other comparable servos on the market. Try you're make-shift test with a comparably equipped servo for a direct comparison.

The dead-band is adjustable on all Hitec Digitals. A Hitec hand held HFP-10 Programmer is required to change programmed parameters. Depending on the servo motor; core-less verses 3-pole cored servo motors the dead-band realized is approximately 1us through 3us.

I don't have the specifications for A/D controller readily available to me.

Our servos like others swing with MAX travel volume of 600us either side of center for a total swing of 1200us. System resolution is affected by the travel volume setting of the TX in play as well. A TX in PPM mode will offer the 1200us providing MAX ATV is dialed in, while in PCM mode the 1024 steps are in play with approximately 1.17us per step.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:16 PM
spog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec digital servos have horrible resolution

Thanks for the reply Michael.
Why are the manufacturers so tight lipped about the precision of their products?
The lack of decent specifications is used by many manufacturers, and it works. That is changing with the internet, it's the new reality,that is why you're here. The companies that survived selling shoddy products using misinformation and hype are disappearing.
The digital servo resolution issue is a great example. One of your competitors is touting higher resolution from their high end transmitter. Is it of any practical use?
The consumers have been informed.