Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Buddy boxing an eclipse 7 to an optic 6

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 AM
varmit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy boxing an eclipse 7 to an optic 6

Can an eclipse 7 and an optic 6 be used together as a buddy box system ? please explain.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
aramsdell

Default RE: Buddy boxing an eclipse 7 to an optic 6

Yes.. I've asked this question myself. I was assured it would work and it does. I have the E76 and an O6 myself. You need a round to round Futaba or Hitec cord. You must set trims in both radios the same. You must remove the module from the slave tansmitter. If you do not remove the students module both radios will try to transmit. I missed this part the first time I fired up my foamie. No control, all jitters. The reason is that the master transmitter powers BOTH transmitters ! I think battery run time will be drastically shortened. I only ran for about 10 to 12 minutes like this ,at work. I've only done it this one time so far. I don't like having to remove a module when there has been so much brouhaha about bad connections on the Optic 6. I have a question in to MGLAVIN as to whether there is a buddy box for the Hitec system. Hey any of you guys that don't want your Optic 6 anymore I'll pay freight here to use it as a buddy box!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 PM
XJet
Banned

The student's transmitter won't radiate a signal when it's used in a buddy-box. I buddy-box people all the time on my O6/E7 setup and never bother pulling the module, it makes no difference -- that's a great feature of the Hitec system.

Of course this only applies if you're using a proper Hitec buddy-box cord -- if you use something else then all bets are off :-)
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 AM
aussiesteve

I've found that If I don't remove the module, then I need to have the model set up on both "transmitters" regardless of which one is being used as a slave. Either way - it certainly does work. (But I still don't like the weak cases on the Optic 6's).
Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all buddy box /Trainer systems, the student box must be set up so as duplicate the controls of the Master (Instructor's TX). Before training is commenced, when the trainer lever on Master TX is puilled (or button depressed) all functions on model must remain unchanged. i.e.. elevator up = elevator up with trims adjusted so no movement is seen.
Other RC systems also use the 6 pin DIN connector for Trainer/PC interface systems. Hitec is compatible with Futaba provided that only the Hitec One Way Trainer Cord is used and even then some minor smoke could be emitted from the first edition Futaba 8UAP's trainer board. (easy fix). At no time may the Futaba cord be used between two Hitec TX unless Xtal or module is removed from the "Buddy Box" and at no time may the switch on the "Buddy Box" be turned on as the Futaba cable is "open" at both ends. This information has been well documented on Hitec RCD USA and leading Hitec retailers web pages as well as leading newsgroups for a long time.
Direct link = http://www.hitecrcd.com/Support/TrainerCordWarning.htm
Whilst not on the Futaba buddy cable, all leading Futaba simulator interfaces short out pins 4 & 5 (as on Hitec trainer cable) to prevent erroneous RF transmission.
Further details under "Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." on my web page.

regards
Alan T.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
varmit

Thanks to all who answered , I am ready to try it.

Varmit
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
aramsdell

A.T.

Does Hitec make a real buddy box or must we use a 2nd xmtr in it's place ?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aramsdell A.T. Does Hitec make a real buddy box or must we use a 2nd xmtr in it's place ?
No known manufacturer produces a stand a lone "buddy box" as such apart from a few cheaper units used only as an interface for simulators. The Futaba unit listed on Tower web page is an older standard 4 ch TX from which I understand the antenna, xtal, RX, servos etc have been removed and sold seperately. It is not available direct from Futaba. Re-attach those parts and you have a standard 4YF TX again. Retailers who strip boxed systems generally realise a higher overall profit with the separate items or use it as a means to get clear surplus stock when a new model comes out. A standard 4 ch TX is no longer much use as a buddy box, it simply does not have the mixes and capablilites to match the modern instructors usual computerised TX, especially for Heli or if throws need to be reduced by use of dual rates or EPA. IMHO the Optic 6 gives best options and value for the $ as a buddy box over all other systems. (Use the module as a quick frequency change with your other Eclipse, Prism or Optic TX).
regards
Alan T.